返回列表 回復 發帖

16/09/2007 14:03, Report by Ben Hibbs

Silvestre suffers cruciate blow

Mikael Silvestre is likely to miss the rest of the season after scans confirmed that he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury against Everton on Saturday.

The Reds left-back, who was playing his first match since the opening day of the season against Reading, got his studs caught in the Goodison Park turf and fell awkwardly, twisting his knee.

Silvestre is the third United player to suffer a serious knee injury this year, after similar fates befell Korean midfielder Ji-sung Park and goalkeeper Ben Foster.

The trio are joined on the Reds' injury list by Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea, who are expected to be out for a number of weeks at least.

Silvestre's enforced absence, coupled with the summer sale of Gabriel Heinze, means Patrice Evra is Sir Alex Ferguson's sole recognised left-back.

However, United's squad has been suitably reinforced over the summer by the return of burgeoning talents such as Gerard Pique, Jonny Evans, Danny Simpson and Phil Bardsley.

17/09/2007 07:54, Report by Ben Hibbs

Double injury boost for Reds

The Reds will have Wayne Rooney and Owen Hargreaves back in action for the trip to Lisbon this week.

United have been without Rooney since the opening day of the season when he suffered a metatarsal fracture in his left foot, while Hargreaves has been troubled by a knee injury.

Rooney had been expected to play a part in Saturday's 1-0 win over his former club Everton, but Reds boss Sir Alex opted to rest the 21-year-old striker, who instead trained over the weekend in preparation for Wednesday's visit to Portugal.
"They'll both be ok for Wednesday," Sir Alex told MUTV after the victory at Goodison Park.

"We took medical advice on Wayne and as he had only started training on Monday, we felt that five days' training was maybe a bit short.
"But he trained on Saturday morning, Sunday and he'll train right through until Wednesday. By that point he will definitely be available for the match against Sporting Lisbon."

17/09/2007 06:22, Report by Ben Hibbs

Vidic eyes strong start in Europe

United’s goalscoring hero against Everton Nemanja Vidic says it’s vital the Reds get off to a good start in the Champions League on Wednesday when they take on Sporting Lisbon.
The squad fly out to Portugal on Tuesday morning to prepare for the match at Sporting’s Estádio José Alvalade.
Vidic came to United’s rescue on Saturday with an 83rd-minute headed winner to secure a vital three points at Goodison Park, and now the Serbian defender is eyeing victory in the opening Group F match.
“It’s really important that we get off to a good start in the Champions League,” Nemanja told MUTV. “We know Sporting Lisbon will be difficult to play against,” he added. “They are technically very good and they know how to keep possession of the ball, which makes it difficult. But we want to start the tournament well and get a good result.”
The Reds began last season’s European campaign with a win on Portuguese soil - Louis Saha grabbing the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win over Benfica.

Although the Reds needed to beat the Lisbon club at Old Trafford in the final group game following surprise defeats to FC Copenhagen and Celtic, United improved as the tournament progressed and went on to reach the semi finals, only to be stopped by the eventual winners AC Milan.

17/09/2007 07:41, Report by Gemma Thompson

Giggs: We're better equipped

Ryan Giggs feels United are better equipped to mount a challenge in this season's Champions League after falling at the last four hurdle last time out.

The Reds lost out to eventual winners AC Milan at the semi-final stage of the competition, despite recording a 3-2 victory over the Italians in the first leg at Old Trafford.

Giggs says the squad learnt a valuable lesson from that experience and are determined to go one step further this time round.

"We are better equipped for Europe than we were last year," said the 33-year-old.

"We have brought in players who have experience in Europe and hopefully, the younger lads can learn from their experience in Europe last year.

"I remember when I was a young lad, I learned something new from every game I played in Europe, especially away from home.

"Each game you play you get better and have more confidence. Hopefully that will be the case for the team this year."

The Reds kick-off this season's campaign on Wednesday evening in Portugal against Sporting Lisbon.

Clashes with Dynamo Kiev and Roma will follow in due course, with Giggs
insisting the Reds are more than a match for anyone providing they hit top gear.

"If we play to our best ability, we should get out of the group quite comfortably," declared the midfielder.

"It is a tough group because they are all good teams and the away games will all be particularly hard.

"Hopefully we will get off to a good start. If we do that, we will be confident about going through."

[ 本帖最後由 wlt1110 於 2007-9-17 05:42 PM 編輯 ]

17/09/2007 09:04, Report by Ben Hibbs

FC Seoul deny bid for starlet

Korean side FC Seoul have denied rumours that United are attempting to take their highly-rated young midfielder Sung-yong Ki on trial at Old Trafford.

The 18-year-old, who played against United during the Reds' pre-season tour of the Far East in the summer, has earned rave reviews in the K-League this season.

His performances have led to speculation in his home country that the youngster could join fellow countryman Ji-sung Park in Manchester.

But FC Seoul say there is no truth in the story and they have had no contact with United about the Korea Under-23 starlet.

"We haven't heard from United or received any formal documents," a club official told reporters in Korea's capital.

"It is the middle of the (K-League) season now, so organising a trial would be very difficult."

17/09/2007 08:10, Report by Steve Bartram

Goodison win pleases Edwin

For Edwin van der Sar, United's victory over Everton on Saturday was all the more impressive for coming after little preparation time.
The noon kick-off time, allied to a two-match international break prior to the match, meant that United had only one full training session together ahead of the tricky trip to Merseyside.
"It's a massive result for us, especially after two weeks away with the national team," van der Sar told MUTV. "It's really hard to train with each other on Friday, have a little bit of recuperation and then come to a place like this and get the three points.
"You would prefer a Sunday game or maybe a late kick-off. You're home late on Thursday, you train on Friday and you're home maybe for two or three hours before you have to say goodbye to the family again. The kids still call me Dad, but it's a hard period!"
Van der Sar was largely unemployed in terms of making saves, but his one major act of the match was to fend away a James McFadden shot, before Rio Ferdinand blocked Victor Anichebe's rebound.
"Last year we were beaten by a shot that Michael (Carrick) touched, and this time he touched it again," Edwin revealed. "I tried to palm it away, but it didn't go that far and luckily Rio was there to block it."
A clean sheet at Goodison Park was the Dutch goalkeeper's third in a row, a run which has proven just enough to secure nine points, with United scoring once in each of their last three games.
"I think we're creating enough chances, even in the games we've lost and drawn," he said. "We've created chances but at the moment we're not scoring so easy. The good thing is that the defence and midfield is tight, and we're not conceding, which is a good point."

17/09/2007 16:01, Report by Ben Hibbs

Owen doubtful for Lisbon clash

Owen Hargreaves is a doubt for United's opening Champions League game against Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old midfielder is struggling with a thigh strain and missed United's 1-0 win over Everton at the weekend.

It had been thought that Hargreaves would be fit for the trip to Portugal, but the Englishman didn't train on Monday morning and is now a doubt for the opening Group F clash in Lisbon.

"[The injury] is okay, I have never really had this injury before so this is new territory," he told the Press Association on Monday afternoon. "I can't say for certain but it looks as though I won't be ready for Wednesday because I have not trained."

He is, however, hopeful of making Sunday's crucial Premier League clash with Chelsea at Old Trafford. "I thought I would be fit to play for England in the Israel game, then the Russia game and then Everton, but I've still not done it. I have to take it day by day so hopefully I will be fit for the weekend."

Injury prevented Hargreaves from appearing in United's opening three matches of the campaign. But he proved exceptional in the three games he has played in so far this term. Outstanding despite defeat to Manchester City, he then helped the Reds to 1-0 victories over Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland, which makes it all the more maddening that he cannot have a clear run of games.

"It is frustrating," he said. "I missed pre-season then I had a run of games and I was really enjoying it. It is just disappointing to suffer something so niggly. But I think these injuries come from last season when I broke my leg."

17/09/2007 09:05, Report by Ben Hibbs

Rooney fitness boost for Reds

The Reds will have Wayne Rooney back in action for United's trip to Lisbon on Wednesday.

United have been without Rooney since the opening day of the season when he suffered a metatarsal fracture in his left foot.

Rooney had been expected to play a part in Saturday's 1-0 win over Everton, but Reds boss Sir Alex opted to rest the 21-year-old striker, who instead trained over the weekend in preparation for Wednesday's visit to Portugal.
Sir Alex confirmed the forward will be fit to play on Wednesday before explaining his decision to leave Rooney out of the clash with his former club Everton.

"We took medical advice on Wayne and as he had only started training on Monday, we felt that five days' training was maybe a bit short.
"But he trained on Saturday morning, Sunday and he'll train right through until Wednesday. By that point he will definitely be available for the match against Sporting Lisbon."

18/09/2007 08:08, Report by Steve Bartram and Nick Coppack

Duo sit out Lisbon trip

Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville have failed to recover from injury in time for Wednesday's Champions League opener against Sporting Lisbon.

The England internationals, both sidelined with thigh strains, were missing from United's travelling party as it left Manchester Airport on Tuesday morning.

Wayne Rooney, however, was on board, having made a startling recovery from the broken foot he sustained on the opening day of the season.

The England striker is likely to play some part against Sporting, although with Sunday's clash with Chelsea looming large, Sir Alex Ferguson may use him sparingly.

Mikael Silvestre, Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Ji-sung Park and Ben Foster are United's other senior absentees.

18/09/2007 08:23, Report by Ben Hibbs

Rooney to be let off the leash

Wayne Rooney has been itching to get back to action following his fractured metatarsal injury, and now he's ready to take out his frustration on Sporting Lisbon.

The 21-year-old Reds striker flew out to Lisbon with the rest of the United squad on Tuesday morning as the Reds prepare for the opening Champions League Group F match on Wednesday.

Typical of Rooney's enthusiasm and hunger for football, he feels he could have played before now, but understands the caution taken by Sir Alex Ferguson and United's medical staff.

"I'm fine," he told MUTV. "I feel I could have played a few weeks ago and I'm a bit disappointed I haven't. But it was probably best in the long run.

"I've been dying to play. I wanted to make sure the manager knew I was ready to come back. The manager and physios have been a bit cautious and rightly so - it's a long season. Hopefully, I can get a run-out on Wednesday and get back playing."

For Rooney it was frustrating to endure the same type of injury he has suffered on two previous occasions, but he denied that it has anything to do with the Nike boots he wears.

"It's the third time I've had this injury and it was disappointing it happened so early in the season," he added. "I know there has been a lot of talk about the boots but they are fine. If you have a lad like Michael Duberry stamp on your foot, it is quite likely to break."

18/09/2007 09:30, Report by Gemma Thompson

Carlos errs on the side of caution

Assistant boss Carlos Queiroz says United will take a cautious approach in their opening Champions League Group F match in Lisbon on Wednesday evening.

The Reds flew out to Portugal on Tuesday morning, minus Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville, but boosted by the return of Wayne Rooney to full fitness after recovering from a broken foot.

Queiroz is expecting a tough encounter against his former club, for whom he was a coach, but is hopeful of a positive outcome for the Reds.

"We are going to play a cautious game because we respect Sporting," he told Uefa.com. "However, we will play with ambition because we want to collect the three points at the Alvalade.

"This is not the best time to face Sporting. This is not our best moment and this is also the first group stage match. But hopefully we can get the result we want."

Queiroz is not the only United representative returning to face their former team. Both Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani are ex-Sporting graduates and Queiroz says it will be an important occasion for the Reds' Portuguese clan.

"Of course it will be a special feeling playing against Sporting, as it will be for Nani and Cristiano Ronaldo," he insisted.

"But we are all professionals and I am sure we will do our best. I hope we can play a tremendous game and I'm sure the Sporting fans are expecting this."

17/09/2007 16:01, Report by Ben Hibbs

Owen eyes Chelsea return

Owen Hargreaves missed United's opening Champions League Group F game against Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday, but the midfielder is hoping to be fit to face Chelsea this weekend.

The 26-year-old has been struggling with a thigh strain and also missed United's 1-0 win over Everton last weekend.

It had been thought that Hargreaves would be fit for the trip to Portugal, but the Englishman was left out of the squad that travelled of Lisbon.

"[The injury] is okay," he said on Monday. "I have never really had this injury before so this is new territory."

"I thought I would be fit to play for England in the Israel game, then the Russia game and then Everton, but I've still not done it. I have to take it day by day so hopefully I will be fit for the weekend."

Injury prevented Hargreaves from appearing in United's opening three matches of the campaign. But he proved exceptional in the three games he has played in so far this term. Outstanding despite defeat to Manchester City, he then helped the Reds to 1-0 victories over Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland, which makes it all the more maddening that he cannot have a clear run of games.

"It is frustrating," he said. "I missed pre-season then I had a run of games and I was really enjoying it. It is just disappointing to suffer something so niggly. But I think these injuries come from last season when I broke my leg."

19/09/2007 09:58, Report by Ben Hibbs & Nick Coppack

Ole takes Reds coaching role

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took temporary charge of United’s Reserves side in Lisbon on Wednesday morning, and it marks the former Reds striker’s first steps into the coaching side of the game.

Solskjaer, who ended his playing career last month due to injury having scored 126 goals in 366 appearances for the Reds, won’t be taking up the Reserves role full-time, but Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that the Norwegian has joined the club’s coaching staff.

The 34-year-old has not yet been given an official job title, but he is to work closely with technical skills development coach Rene Meulensteen, with particular emphasis on coaching strikers throughout the club's ranks.

Sir Alex told ManUtd.com: “This is an ideal trip for Ole to come along and get involved with the coaching side of the game.”

Ole led the warm up and took charge of a reserves team including Tom Heaton, Dong Fangzhuo, Lee Martin, and Darron Gibson against a Sporting Lisbon team made up of first- and second-year Academy scholars.

19/09/2007 17:12, Report by Steve Bartram and Nick Coppack

Gibson suffers injury setback

Young Irish midfielder Darron Gibson is set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering a broken little toe in action for United's Reserves.

Gibson suffered the knock in Wednesday morning's match between United's second string and their Sporting Lisbon counterparts.

Despite sustaining the injury in the opening five minutes of the match, which United lost 5-2, Gibson continued until half-time before being replaced.

The layoff represents a huge blow for Gibson, who was in contention to start next week's Carling Cup clash with Coventry City at Old Trafford.

19/09/2007 20:40, Report by Nick Coppack in Lisbon

Blog: A sporting gesture

It wasn't always the hero's welcome he had hoped for, but Cristiano Ronaldo did eventually receive plaudits from Sporting Lisbon fans on his return to his former club.

Indeed, in a show of tremendous sportsmanship, the Lisbon fans clapped Ronaldo when he put United in front on 62 minutes. It was the winger's first meaningful contribution of the match but it was enough to earn the Reds a valuable away victory and Ronaldo the morning headlines.

The goal sparked Ronaldo into life and what had previously been a lacklustre performance suddenly turned into an individual display of sparking skill and confidence. In fact, his second half contribution was so impressive it brought the home fans to their feet when the Reds' no.7 was substituted minutes before the end.

For large parts of the match, however, Ronaldo's return was almost a non-event. There was no official recognition and Sporting fans seemed more intent on getting behind their team and venting their frustrations at referee Herbert Fandel. The odd jeer could be heard, particularly in the game's opening stages, but it was nothing compared to the abuse the Reds' no.7 copped when United met Sporting 's rivals, Benfica  in last season's group stage.
At Tuesday's press conference, Ronaldo spoke with fondness of the club that spent seven years developing his skills, although he was also quick to point out his desire to take all three points back to England.

Perhaps it was that statement that prevented the Sporting fans wholeheartedly embracing the winger from the opening whistle. Or maybe their initial ambivalence towards the player they once adored was born of regret at what might have been had Ronaldo not signed for the Reds in 2003.

In the end, however, all 39,514 people inside Lisbon's Jose Alvalade stadium rose to their feet in acknowledgement of one of the world's most exciting young footballers.
返回列表