返回列表 回復 發帖

22/02/2008 14:11, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex: No Keegan rift

Sir Alex Ferguson has described his supposed fierce rivalry with Kevin Keegan as “a myth”, and says he is looking forward to seeing the Newcastle manager at St James’ Park on Saturday.

The infamous “love it” rant and the two manager's contest for the title during Keegan's last spell in charge on Tyneside have given rise to the notion of a rift. But Sir Alex insists their relationship isn’t thorny in the slightest.

“I’ve not spoken to him for ages,” said the Reds boss. “But it’s a myth [that we don’t get on]. I’ve always got on with Kevin and I’ll look forward to seeing him on Saturday.”

Sir Alex even took time to sympathise with his opposite number's predicament, and the difficulty of bringing in players in the January transfer window.

“Kevin didn’t really have a lot of time to understand the market," he said. "Everyone thinks it’s easy to get players in January, but it’s not. I’ve said it many times. He maybe didn’t have the time to get in the players he wanted, so he has to rely on the players he’s got at the moment.”

But that apparent cordiality will not prevent Sir Alex wanting to further dampen the mood after Keegan’s so far unsuccessful return to St James’ and earn three more valuable points towards United's title defence.

The United boss enjoys trips to Newcastle, not least because he is unbeaten there in almost seven years, but also because of the desire for football in the North East. “Newcastle is one of my favourite venues,” he says. “I’ve always enjoyed going there. You see the passion of their fans, and I enjoy that. I think it’s one
“We have got a decent record at St James’ Park, but that doesn’t guarantee us anything. We know we have to perform on the day. Last season we were coasting at 2-1 and they got a late goal from a deflection. You can lose a goal in any game, at any time. We have to be alert to that.”

With United five points behind league leaders Arsenal, the Reds cannot afford to slip. By the time the 17:15 GMT kick-off comes around, Sir Alex’s men could be eight points adrift, which is all part of being chasers rather than the chased.

“It’s not easy to close these gaps,” Sir Alex says, the voice of experience. “We’ve achieved it in the past, and we’ve failed to do it in the past. Hopefully experience counts. You know that points will be dropped. Arsenal and Chelsea are well aware of that. The name of the game is not to drop as many points as your opponents.

"At the moment, Arsenal have an advantage. But we also know that they have some tough games to come, so they will drop points. It’s unavoidable.” United have to be sure to be in the position to pounce if, or when, the Gunners do stumble.

22/02/2008 13:31, Report by Ben Hibbs

Boss joy at Ando and Nani

A week that has gleaned two excellent results in the cup competitions for United has also highlighted just how important Sir Alex Ferguson’s summer signings have become to the team.

Carlos Tevez got the winner against Lyon in midweek, with Owen Hargreaves operating a pivotal midfield holding role. But it is the form of Nani and Anderson, both new to England, that have pleased the United boss.

The pair have both perhaps played more regularly than that they would have hoped at the start of the season. But their excellent recent displays make it increasingly difficult leave them out of the side.

“We’re very pleased with their progress,” Sir Alex says. “The evidence of their development is there to see on the pitch.

“With Anderson, he has exploded onto the scene, whereas Nani is taking his time. But he is gradually getting better and better.

"They’re different players of course, so that makes a difference. But they’re both doing really well.”

22/02/2008 11:13, Report by Gemma Thompson

Milner: We must have belief

Newcastle midfielder James Milner insists his side must believe in themselves if they are to have any chance of picking up a positive result against United on Saturday.

The Toon Army go into the tea-time clash at St James' Park still without a win under new boss Kevin Keegan and having conceded 11 goals in their last four games.

Unlike United, who have had FA Cup and Champions League commitments in the last week, Keegan's men have had a fortnight to prepare for the match and Milner is hoping their preparation will pay off.

"Manchester United is a big game for us and we have to rise to the occasion," he told Newcastle's official website. "It is all about how we are mentally as well. That is a big part of it.

"For instance at Villa, instead of us being 2-1 down, we were 4-1 down. Some of the time we have not really deserved it.

"It is about how we bounce back from conceding a goal. We need to be strong mentally. We know we need to get better, and that comes from hard work on the training field.

"Having a game every few days, you don't really get a chance to work on it. During this break, we have had a chance to assess things and to see where we are going wrong."

Newcastle were on the end of a 6-0 thrashing from United last month at Old Trafford. Milner admits the wounds are still raw from the defeat, but says a result against the Reds on Saturday would go a long way to getting the Geordies back on track.

"When results are not going your way, you lose a bit of confidence," admits the 22-year-old. "We sometimes do not have the confidence to
put our feet on the ball and pass it as well as we can.

"That will come with a few positive results and performances - hopefully we get that against United. At the moment, things are not going for us, but we have been working hard to put things right."

Newcastle will be boosted by the return of Africa Nations Cup quartet Habib Beye, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins. Steve Harper will continue to deputise in goal if Shay Given fails to recover from a groin injury. It will Harper's 100th Newcastle appearance if he plays.
22/02/2008 09:54, Report by Gemma Thompson

Rio hails resolute Reds

Rio Ferdinand hailed United's ability to grind out results after the Reds' left Lyon with a priceless away goal which has put them in the driving seat in their last 16 tie with the French champions.

Karim Benzema had put the home side in front just after the restart, before Carlos Tevez came off the bench to level things with a crucial strike - his 15th of the campaign - three minutes from time.

"First and foremost you have to get results," insisted Ferdinand afterwards. "Performances come second. Ideally, you would like the performances but that's not always possible.

"Against Lyon I thought we played well in parts. After the break we performed well for about 10 to 15 minutes until they scored.

"Then we upped the tempo again, they sat back and we managed to get the vital away goal. Away from home, performances come a long way second.

"At this stage we need to concentrate on results. To score an away goal is important. We did that and that's going to be a big advantage to take back to Old Trafford [on 4 March]."

Tevez's goal was set up by the impressive Nani who also came off the bench to make an impact, highlighting the importance of having good options in reserve.

"A lot of the teams we'll be competing against in Europe have those options," declared the defender. "Arsenal have them, Lyon were able to put on someone like Ben Arfa in the later stages of the game but our options paid off."
Papers: Doubts over Wes
22/02/2008 09:41

Brown heading for United exit
Wes Brown's Manchester United future is on a knife-edge after Alex Ferguson hit out at his contract demands. Brown, 28, wants £65,000 a week to sign a new deal but has been offered £10,000 less. He could leave on a free in the summer. Boss Fergie said: “We’ve given him his offer. It’s in his hands, not in ours. Players today live in their agents’ pockets. It’s a situation which depresses me at times. Wes has been with us since he was 12 but I don’t think that matters these days. Their agents live their lives for them — and if you are happy to go along with that then you get the situation you have just now.”
Neil Custis, The Sun

In other news, Rio Ferdinand believes United's unique fighting spirit and refusal to accept they are ever beaten can carry them to Champions League glory.

Sir Alex Ferguson is to recommend to United's board that Karim Benzema, the outstanding France striker, should be their primary transfer target this summer, according to The Guardian. However, he is deeply aware that not only is there competition from a clutch of Europe's leading clubs but that Lyon might price him out of the Glazer family's reach.

Joe Cole last night warned United, Arsenal and Tottenham that Chelsea will win the quadruple. The Blues take on Spurs in the Carling cup final on Sunday and Cole is convinced Avram Grant's men can sweep the board.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
22/02/2008 09:00, Report by Ian Baker

Rival bosses reunited

Who could ever forget the moment when Kevin Keegan lost his temper on live television in response to comments made by Sir Alex Ferguson - "I will love it if we beat them - love it!"

Still quoted today, Keegan's rant is regarded as a pivotal moment in the 1995/96 title race when United overhauled Newcastle's one-time 14-point lead to win the championship. And although King Kev never again came close to finishing above Ferguson in the table, their head-to-head encounters still generated plenty of colour and column inches in the press.

Prior to their first meeting since 2005, ManUtd.com recalls some classic bouts between the two bosses, starting with five great Ferguson wins:
27 Dec 1995 - United 2 Newcastle 0
A game the Reds really needed to win after their rivals went into Christmas 10 points clear in the title race. Goals by ex-Newcastle striker Andy Cole and Roy Keane reduced the gap at the top.
4 Mar 1996 - Newcastle 0 United 1
On a crucial trip to Tyneside, Cantona’s goal cut Newcastle's lead to just three points. With a game in hand, the Reds were now on a roll.

11 Aug 1996 - United 4 Newcastle 0
This Community Shield match was expected to be close following Newcastle's summer signing of Alan Shearer. In the end, it was anything but as United laid down a marker for the 1996/97 season with strikes from Cantona, Butt, Beckham and Keane.

14 Feb 2004 - United 4 Man City 2
Keegan’s City started well against United with a win and a draw but Ferguson hit back in style with this Valentine's Day massacre. Despite Gary Neville’s dismissal, the Reds went through en route to winning the FA Cup.
13 Feb 2005 - Man City 0 United 2
Goals from Rooney and a Dunne own goal gave the Reds a comfortable win. Keegan left City the following month.

No prizes for guessing Keegan's finest hour against Ferguson, but even then, Sir Alex had the last laugh...
20 Oct 1996 - Newcastle 5 United 0
Goals from Peacock, Ginola, (Les) Ferdinand, Shearer and Albert sealed United's record Premier League defeat. But Keegan left Newcastle soon afterwards and the Reds went on to retain their title.

Ferguson v KeeganUnited v Newcastle
21/08/93 - St James’ Park - 1-1
11/12/93 - Old Trafford - 1-1
26/10/94 - St James’ - 0-2 (Lge Cup)
29/10/94 - Old Trafford - 2-0
15/01/95 - St James’ Park - 1-1
27/12/95 - Old Trafford - 2-0
04/03/96 - St James’ Park - 1-0
11/08/96 - Wembley - 4-0 (C Shield)
20/10/96 - St James’ Park - 0-5
United v Fulham
14/02/99 - Old Trafford - 1-0 (FA Cup)
United v Man City
09/11/02 - Maine Road - 1-3
09/02/03 - Old Trafford - 1-1
13/12/03 - Old Trafford - 3-1
14/02/04 - Old Trafford - 4-2 (FA Cup)
14/03/04 - Eastlands - 1-4
07/11/04 - Old Trafford - 0-0
13/02/05 - Eastlands - 2-0
21/02/2008 16:35, Report by Ian Baker

Match Pack: Newcastle

Last time United faced Newcastle they won 6-0. Last time they faced Newcastle under Kevin Keegan's management, they lost 5-0... surely this Saturday's meeting will give us something inbetween?

Form Guide:
Newcastle are on a dreadful run of form, having not won since Keegan returned as manager last month - their last league win was way back on 15 December, at Fulham. They have scored just two league goals in 2008, including the opener at Aston Villa a fortnight ago - Newcastle led 1-0 at half-time only to lose 4-1.

Ins and Outs: With no midweek match to follow, Sir Alex could field a similar side to the one that drew with Lyon. Keegan may name young striker Andy Carroll in his side and recall Geremi following his return from the Africa Cup of Nations.

Star Men: Cristiano Ronaldo will fancy his chances of taking his league tally to 20 or more following his sensational hat-trick against Newcastle last month. Michael Owen has started to find a bit of form for the opposition with goals in each of his last two matches.
Rivals Watch: Arsenal travel to Birmingham for the early match on Saturday. Chelsea take a break from league action as they play Tottenham in the Carling Cup Final on Sunday.

What Are The Odds? 25/1 Newcastle lead half-time, Reds win full-time (manutd.com/bet).

22/02/2008 19:22, Report by Ben Hibbs

Foster nears Reds return

Ben Foster is tantalisingly close to playing for United’s reserves, a huge step on his road to recovery after eight months out following a serious knee injury.

Foster, who underwent cruciate knee ligament surgery in the summer, has been training hard for months now and is itching to get back into action.

"All is going well," he told MUTV. "I've been training for the last two or three months. I started full time training about six weeks ago.

"All been good so far, no niggles or pain, so I'm looking to play a reserves game pretty soon.”

The 24-year-old is yet to play for the first-team, despite being a United player for almost three years. Impressive spells on loan with Watford raised his profile to the extent that he earned his first England cap a year ago – which came in a friendly against Spain, ironically at Old Trafford.

The temptation, for Sir Alex Ferguson as much as Foster, is to return as soon as possible. But United’s medical staff don’t want to rush the former Stoke City keeper at the risk of re-injury.

"It's a serious injury,” he added. “I've been out for eight months. I always knew it would be tough this season. I've got to the stage now where I'm itching to go, but the physios are just having to hold me back. It's frustrating, but you have to listen to them.”

United’s Reserves play Liverpool next week, a game Foster would love to play in. But it is likely to come too soon, and there is more vital work to be done on the training ground before Foster is completely ready for his comeback.

“The Liverpool game on Tuesday for the Reserves
would have been ideal, but the medical staff just want me to have a couple more weeks in training.

“I've got to start from where I left off at the start of last season. I felt confident in myself in any given situation. Eight months out knocks you a bit. You forget tiny little things about your game that you need to think about.

“I'm working on my sharpness and my handling in training now. There's a few things I'm going to work on. Kicking, cross-taking with players around me. I've got to do a bit of that, and then I'll hopefully be ready to play for the reserves.”

Foster can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and United very shortly could have at their disposal one of the best young goalkeepers in the game.

25/02/2008 09:36, Report by Ben Hibbs

Carrick: Teams can't contain us

Michael Carrick wants United to keep up the ruthless attacking play that saw the Reds tear into Newcastle on Saturday.

The United midfielder, who continued his excellent recent form with another commanding central midfield display, believes few teams can live with United's swarming attacks and clinical finishing.

"It's very satisfying when it all comes together like this because that's the standard we set ourselves," he said after the game.

"We're finishing strongly at the moment. We have so much pace and when we attack with speed, we cause any team problems.

"Everyone contributes but the front four or five provide that pace and Ronaldo is phenomenal, he just puts away his chances with ease."

The victory took United to within three points of league leaders Arsenal, who spurned the chance to temporarily go eight points clear when they drew 2-2 with Birmingham City earlier in the day.

That result presented an opportunity to the United players, who were determined not to let it pass. Carrick added: "With Arsenal drawing [2-2 with Birmingham], we knew before kick-off it would be a big three points for us.

"There are bound to be ups and downs before the end of the season but in the end it was a good day for us, closing the gap on them and doing our goal difference the power of good.

"We were happy at half-time but didn't really play great in the second-half, maybe we were a bit comfortable. Then as soon as they scored, we put the game to bed."
25/02/2008 11:44, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds' midfield dilemma

ManUtd.com's midfield pairing poll has caused quite a stir, with readers of the official Reds website divided over which players to choose.

Sir Alex Ferguson again rotated his central midfield against Newcastle at the weekend, Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher turning in excellent performances. With Anderson, Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves also at the manager's disposal, United have an embarrassment of riches in the midfield engine room.

We asked you which pairing you would choose if you were Reds boss. The response so far has been overwhelming.

Fans have voted in their thousands on the issue, and the current leaders are Anderson and Carrick (30%), followed closely by Anderson and Hargreaves (22%), and Scholes and Anderson (14%).

The fact that 19-year-old Anderson appears in the top three choices is indicative of the wonderful debut season he is having, but that there has been such a varied spread across all the permutations shows just how strong United's midfield options are.

Have your say now by voting on the ManUtd.com poll. Already made your choice? Discuss the results on Talking Reds.

The voting so farAnderson, Carrick - 30%
Anderson, Hargreaves - 22%
Scholes, Anderson - 14%
Anderson, Fletcher - 9%
Carrick, Hargreaves - 9%
Scholes, Carrick - 6%
Scholes, Hargreaves - 6%
Carrick, Fletcher - 2%
Hargreaves, Fletcher - 1%
Scholes, Fletcher - 1%

Vote now >>

Figures correct at 9:00 GMT, 25 Feb
25/02/2008 10:12, Report by Steve Bartram

Fletch: We've got the edge

Darren Fletcher suspects that United’s FA Cup hammering of Arsenal has already had an impact on the Premier League title race.
The Gunners are without a win in three matches and their last-gasp failure to beat Birmingham on Saturday, married to United’s hammering of Newcastle, saw Arsenal's lead at the top of the table cut to just three points.

In light of both sides' initial reactions to the Old Trafford cup clash, Fletcher feels United have assumed psychological superiority as the season enters its most crucial stage.
“The title race was open even before today,” Fletcher told MUTV after the 5-1 romp at St James’ Park. “We know Arsenal have still got to come to Old Trafford too.
“But that result last week maybe had a little psychological edge. We went out there and played fantastically against Arsenal and managed to win convincingly, and they’ve not won since.
“It’s getting to the nitty-gritty now, we’ve been there last season and we know what it’s about. We’re hoping to push on and keep winning every game now until the end of the season – that’s the target.”
Fletcher and Michael Carrick joined forces in the centre of midfield against the Magpies, relegating Anderson and Paul Scholes to the bench while Owen Hargreaves was omitted entirely from the 16-man squad.
With United’s strength in depth plain for all to see, the Scottish midfielder feels the Reds are better equipped this season to cope with the demands of chasing three trophies.

“Sometimes it’s a struggle to get on the bench, but that’s only good for Manchester United because you know that when you get your chance you have to perform to a top, top level,” he said.
“Sometimes even that’s not good enough because the team gets rotated, so there’s no room for bad performances and that keeps everyone on their toes.
“That’s why we’ve got a big squad and we’re fighting on all fronts, which is going to help us because we didn’t have that last season. I think we’re going to see the benefit of that this season.”
25/02/2008 09:31, Report by James Tuck

O'Shea: A dream situation

John O'Shea is excited by the quality United have at their disposal as they enter the business end of the season.
Such was the ease with which the Reds saw off Newcastle on Saturday, it is easy to forget the starting line-up was markedly different from that which took on Lyon in midweek.
Sir Alex Ferguson rotated four of his forward six after the Champions League draw against the French champions, leaving Owen Hargreaves, Ryan Giggs and Ji-sung Park out of his squad entirely.
But it made little difference as United cruised to a 5-1 victory – and O’Shea believes this strength in depth could be key to the Reds’ chances of glory on three fronts.
The Irishman, who replaced an ill Patrice Evra at half-time at St James’ Park, told MUTV: “It’s a dream situation. About this time last season we picked up a few injuries and the squad was quite bare, but this year it’s been fantastic.
“The manager can keep his side fresh, changing one or two things around without really affecting how the team is playing, which is ideal because there are games coming up thick and fast in the league and Champions League.
“The manager has faith in the quality of his squad and we have to repay that by winning trophies.”
The manner in which United took Kevin Keegan’s side apart delighted O’Shea and further erased
memories of the disappointing derby defeat against Manchester City.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney were sensational on Tyneside, scoring twice apiece as Newcastle were routed for the second time in as many months.
“They’ll be glad to see the back of us this season,” said O’Shea. “We have so many great players that if we create that many chances, and things fall for us, there are going to be scorelines like that.
“We can never play as badly again as we did against City.”
Ronaldo’s brace at St James’ Park took his season’s tally to 29, while Rooney has now hit eight goals in eight league games against the Magpies.
“I’m sure Wayne would like to play Newcastle every week!” O’Shea added. “He puts in so much effort every week that the rewards were always going to come for him.
“And Ronaldo is top of the scoring charts now. It’s an amazing achievement but he just wants the team to do well.”

25/02/2008 10:23, Report by Gemma Thompson

Fixture changes for Reds

All four of United's Premier League fixtures in April will be screened live on television.

The Reds' trip to the Riverside to face Middlesbrough has been put back 24 hours to Sunday 6 April, KO 13:30 GMT and will be live on Sky. However, the game will be postponed should either side be involved in an FA Cup semi-final.

Next up United entertain Arsenal at Old Trafford in what could be a virtual title decider. The match, originally scheduled for Saturday 12 April, will now take place on Sunday 13 April, KO 16:00 GMT and will be screened live on Sky.

The trip to Blackburn Rovers will be shown live on Setanta on Saturday 19 April, KO 17:15 GMT.

Finally, United's visit to Stamford Bridge to take on Chelsea will now kick-off at 12:45 GMT on Saturday 26 April.

23/02/2008 19:58, Report by James Tuck

Boss allays injury fears

Sir Alex Ferguson moved to dispel worries over the fitness of Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic after United’s 5-1 victory over Newcastle.
Evra was replaced by John O’Shea at half-time at St James’ Park, while Vidic limped off during the second half, seemingly still feeling the effects of an earlier challenge by Michael Owen.
Ferguson told MUTV: “Patrice wasn’t feeling very well. He was sick at half-time so we took him off.
“Then Vida came off. I think he’s okay – hopefully it’s just a calf strain.”
Following the midweek Champions League draw at Lyon, Ferguson made four changes against the Magpies, leaving Ryan Giggs out of his squad entirely.
“Ryan got a kick below the knee on Wednesday,” the Reds boss added. “I wasn’t going to start him after his exertions against Lyon.”
Papers: On course for glory
25/02/2008 09:31

Brilliant Reds close title gap
Manchester United's players watched Arsenal surrender their significant advantage in the title race, then showed their title-winning credentials with a typically merciless display. Inspired by Arsenal's slip-up at Birmingham, Sir Alex Ferguson's players not only cut their lead to three points, they sent a chilling warning of what lies in wait for Arsene Wenger's men when they visit Old Trafford in six weeks. Already that April 12 showdown is looking like a title decider, a game that will hold no fears for Fergie's men after their recent 4-0 demolition of the Gunners there in the FA Cup. United's remarkable strength in depth and range of options were illustrated at St James' Park. United's back four may remain constant, such is the consistency and understanding they have developed, but Fergie shuffled his midfield and front men for the third game running and still watched his side win at a canter. That Fergie could leave Ryan Giggs at home and Paul Scholes, Anderson and Louis Saha on the bench shows the strength of United's current squad and why there is an air of inevitability about United retaining their title.
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini has warned that Eduardo's horrific broken leg, sustained in the 2-2 draw at Birmingham, has only made the squad more determined to win the title.

In other news, Blackburn Rovers are ready to snap up midfield prospect Michael Potts from United. The teenager turned out for Rovers youths at the weekend, making two goals on a sparkling debut, and could be offered a contract.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
返回列表