返回列表 回復 發帖
19/11/2007 08:28, Report by Nick Coppack

Vidic: My qualities are average

Nemanja Vidic has once again proved a titan at the back for the Reds this season, but he still can't understand his cult status among United fans...

So, 13 games in, are you pleased with how things are going?

We're happy with the start we've made. I'm particularly pleased with the way we've been defending. We haven't lost many goals – in the first eight league matches we conceded only two goals, one of them a deflection – which is very pleasing. Defensively we are strong and playing really well and I think we can keep doing that, but we also know we have strikers who have the quality to score at the other end.

The manager thinks you can get between five and ten goals this season. Do you think that's realistic?
Well, he's put pressure on me now! I don't want to disappoint him, so I'll have to say yes. I don't want to be on the bench!

You come up against the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Saha every day in training. Does practising against the very best mean you're confident of handling any opposition striker?
Absolutely. Training with those players would make anybody better. And it's not just those four you mentioned. United is such a big club and there are so many great players here and people who can beat you one-on-one. That's fantastic from my point of view because it helps me play better and gauge where I am. There's also a lot of competition for places here, and I can do with tough challenges in training. It all helps me to improve and keep my place in the team.

Who's the toughest centre-forward you've played against since you arrived in England?
Oh, that's too hard. There are so many good players here and they all have different attributes. Some are better technically, some are better physically, some are good in the air, some are strong in the tackle. Every game is a challenge and I need to do my best to stop the forwards from scoring goals.

Rio mentioned Emmanuel Adebayor…
Yes, he's a good player and he was very good against us here at Old Trafford last season, although I didn't play in that game. Robin van Persie, Didier Drogba… they are also very good. I don't think I can choose just one player. Every time I go out onto the pitch I need to be ready. Against Sunderland, Kenwyne Jones was very strong in the air. Yakubu at Everton and Heskey at Wigan are maybe the strongest forwards in the league. Everyone has different skills and no two strikers play the same way. I haven't played against Fernando Torres yet but he looks like a very good player.

Do you ever have any fear going into headers or tackles?
I don't think about that during a game. All I want to do is get first to the ball and win the header or win the tackle. I don't think about getting hurt. I do what I have to do and I only want the ball.

What about off the pitch? Are you afraid of anything?
I'm starting to get more worried each time I fly. My wife isn't very good on planes and the more travelling I do with her the more she makes me nervous. And obviously I travel a lot with Manchester United so sometimes I think the more
I get on the plane, the more chance there is of something going wrong… But I think Sir Bobby Charlton is amazing. He was involved in a terrible air crash yet he still flies. He is a very, very courageous man. I cannot imagine doing that, definitely not.

You've become a real favourite with the Old Trafford fans. What do you think they like about you?
I'm not sure. Every game I give 100 per cent – maybe sometimes I have a bad day but I always try my best. I always want to win the ball and maybe fans recognise those things and like that about me. This is my game and it's how I've always played and how I'll continue to play. I'm not sure why they like me so much… my qualities are average! To be honest, I ask myself all the time, 'What do they see in me?'.

The fans have a song they like to sing about you. It must be nice to hear so many people chanting your name…
Yeah, it's great. At the end of the day you play for the fans, you play for the people. I like to win and I want the fans to be happy, both with the team and with me. If the fans think highly of you and respect what you do then that's a great honour. When they sing my name I feel really good.

Read Part II on Tuesday, where Vida talks about growing up in war-torn Belgrade.

19/11/2007 09:54, Report by Ben Hibbs

O'Shea closes on new deal

Reds defender John O'Shea is hopeful of signing a new contract that will keep him at Old Trafford for the rest of his career.

The versatile Irishman has become an important member of the United squad and he looks set to be rewarded with an extended contract.

"I have this season and the next on my current contract, but I am very close to signing a new deal that will keep me at United into my 30s," he was quoted as saying in the Sunday Mirror.

The 26-year-old has made 13 appearances for the Reds this term, and his value to United is evident in the variety of positions he has taken up in defence and midfield.

"It is something I want to do," he said of the prospective deal. "I want to stay here, everything is good and this is where I want to be. I have never looked to go elsewhere."
Papers: Defender blow for boss?
19/11/2007 10:37

Vidic KO is snow joke for Fergie
Nemanja Vidic could miss Manchester United's trip to Bolton on Saturday - because of snow in Belgrade. The defender faces a club-versus-country dilemma after UEFA rescheduled Serbia's twice-postponed Euro 2008 qualifier against Kazakhstan for the weekend. The Group A clash was a victim of snow on Saturday, but plans to restage it yesterday also fell through when the weather deteriorated overnight.
Daily Mirror

Other United stories are few and far between as the international break continues but several former Reds are in the news. Ex-captain Steve Bruce is set to become the new boss at Wigan Athletic today (according to The Sun and others), David Beckham could lose his England place for Wednesday's crunch clash with Croatia (various newspapers) and United academy graduate David Healy is again the toast of Northern Ireland after scoring his 13th goal in Euro 2008 qualifiers - a record for the competition.
Round up by Adam Bostock
21/11/2007 07:40, Report by Gemma Thompson

Youth inspires Giggs

Ryan Giggs says he feels invigorated by the promising young talent around him at Old Trafford.

The influx of Anderson, Nani, Owen Hargreaves and Carlos Tevez this season has added strength and depth to an already ultra-talented squad. Paired with the experience of United's longstanding servants like Giggs, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes, Sir Alex Ferguson believes this is the best squad during his 21 years at Old Trafford.

Giggs is certainly excited by the current set-up and says the youthful exuberance within the squad has given him a new lease of life.

"When you come into training and you’re up against young, quality players it’s a test every day," he told ManUtd.com. "That only helps to bring your game on. There’s so much enthusiasm amongst the lads and it’s a great place to be at the moment.

"The new lads have all bedded in really well and very quickly, bringing something new to the team already this season. Nani with his spectacular goals and celebrations, while Anderson has shown what a top player he is with some fantastic performances.

"We knew all about Owen’s [Hargreaves] qualities and he’s produced those every time he’s played and Carlos [Tevez] has brought that extra dimension to our attacking play.

"They’ve also added something different to the dressing room which is great. There is certainly a lot more Spanish and Portuguese being spoken! They’re all very enthusiastic and the team spirit is as good as ever."

21/11/2007 07:00, Report by Ian Baker

Eight Reds braced for big night

As many as eight United players could be involved when the Euro 2008 campaign draws to a close on Wednesday night.

Owen Hargreaves has recovered from tendonitis and could pip Aston Villa's Gareth Barry to a midfield place if England coach Steve McClaren decides to play a 4-5-1 system. Wes Brown is also in the squad to face Croatia at Wembley but Rio Ferdinand is suspended. McClaren has invited the injured Wayne Rooney to Wembley to cheer on his England team mates who need just a draw to qualify for Euro 2008.

Two United players could be on opposite sides in Belgrade. Nemanja Vidic's Serbia need to beat Tomasz Kuszczak's Poland, who have already qualified, to keep their campaign alive. Serbia will then face Kazakhstan on Saturday in a rearranged game and if the result is still crucial, but it remains unclear whether Vidic will be allowed to play in the match as it would mean missing United’s away fixture at Bolton.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani could both play for Portugal when they take on Finland, seeking the point they need to reach the Euro 2008 finals.

The Netherlands and France have both already qualified but Edwin van der Sar is set to play again for the Dutch away at Belarus while Patrice Evra may be given an opportunity for France over the border in Ukraine.

In Group F, Northern Ireland have an outside chance of going through. They must win in Spain, without the suspended United defender Jonny Evans, and hope that Latvia win in Sweden.

Elsewhere, Carlos Tevez was sent off as Argentina lost 2-1 in their World Cup qualifier in Colombia on Tuesday. Tevez was dismissed after just 24 minutes following a clash with defender Ruben Bustos.
Papers: Reds eye Veloso?
21/11/2007 09:30

£10m Veloso is United's next Portuguese talent
Sir Alex Ferguson is strongly considering adding to the Portuguese contingent at Manchester United by making a transfer-window move for Miguel Veloso, Sporting Lisbon's impressive young midfielder.
Ferguson, taking the advice of his assistant Carlos Queiroz, has identified Veloso as the next potential star to emerge from the Sporting youth ranks that also produced Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.
Veloso, who has broken into the national side at 21, has been the outstanding player in Portugal this season and it is a measure of United's interest that Ferguson's brother Martin, the club's chief scout, has been a virtual ever-present recently at the Estadio Jose Alvalade XI. United have been represented at six of Veloso's last seven matches.
Daniel Taylor, Guardian

Meanwhile, The Mirror have reported Sir Alex's call for tougher restrictions on football agents. "Agents need to be regulated in a far stricter way than they have been in the past," the United boss said. "They are a very lucky breed because as long as you have greedy club presidents, agents will always be in the driving seat."
The Times says Patrice Evra is keen to extend his United contract, while the Daily Star speculate Wayne Rooney could return from injury sooner than expected.

Round up by Nick Coppack
20/11/2007 07:22, Report by Ben Hibbs

Evra is season's star

Forget Rooney and Ronaldo... Patrice Evra has been United's best performer so far this season, according to Paddy Crerand.

The Reds legend and former European Cup winner insists Evra has been “absolutely fantastic” this term, particularly because of his instinct to attack down the left flank.

Many United fans would agree, and on current form it could be reasonably argued that the Frenchman is the best left-back in England's top flight.

"I would say without question he’s been the man of the season so far, he’s been absolutely outstanding," Crerand told MUTV. "I don’t think anybody can have an argument about that. But if they do, I’ll argue with them!

"He’s got all the qualities, particularly at Old Trafford because United are invariably the attacking team. He plays up and down that left side and has been fantastic doing it.”

Having arrived almost two years ago for a reported fee around £5.5million, Evra has proved an excellent capture and already seen off the competition of Gabriel Heinze. It may have taken him time to bed in to the English style of play, but the patience, Crerand feels, has paid off.

"He’s another one who, like Nemanja
Vidic, needed a little bit of time to settle,” he added.

“I think there’s more pressure at this club on players than there is at any other club because you’ve got a worldwide audience staring at you and they expect you to go on the pitch and be a star straightaway.

“But it takes time. You have to get to know the players you’re playing with and they have to get to know you.

"I believe Patrice is a very popular person with the rest of the squad, but I think being a good player helps to make you popular, and he’s been exactly that for us this season.”
20/11/2007 07:13, Report by Ben Hibbs

Hargreaves tops fan poll

Owen Hargreaves may have been limited to half a dozen appearances since his summer arrival from Bayern Munich, but he has already made a huge impression on Reds supporters.

In a Fanzone poll, we asked ManUtd.com readers which summer signing had impressed you most, and Hargreaves came out on top, although Carlos Tevez wasn't far behind.

Tendonitis in his knee has sidelined the 26-year-old for much of the season, but his effervescence and excellent distribution have been a breath of fresh air in the midfield engine room.

He polled 37 per cent of the overall votes in our poll. Tevez, who has also settled remarkably well and has already established an impressive partnership with Wayne Rooney, finished in second place with 32 per cent of the votes.

Anderson and Nani, Sir Alex Ferguson's other summer purchases, have both played more football than they would have expected this term. But both players have proved instantly capable of playing in the United first team as well showing plenty of potential to improve even further.

Nani provides a viable alternative to Ryan Giggs or Cristiano Ronaldo on either flank, while 19-year-old Anderson has - perhaps surprisingly - given his boss a selection problem in central midfield with performances that belie his age.

22/11/2007 09:35, Report by Ben Hibbs

Summer off for most Reds

United could have as few as five representatives at next summer's Euro 2008 finals in Austria and Switzerland.
Edwin van der Sar, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Patrice Evra and Tomasz Kuszczak have all regularly been involved with their national squads recently. Louis Saha, Mikael Silvestre and Gerard Pique will also be hoping they can force their way into contention.

On a dramatic final night of qualifying on Wednesday, the Reds' contingent of England players were not the only ones disappointed to miss out on qualification to the finals.

Serbia - without Nemanja Vidic, who didn't even make the bench - drew 2-2 with Poland, extinguishing their hopes of making Euro 2008.

Northern Ireland, who also harboured slim hopes of qualifying, but their 1-0 defeat to Spain in Gran Canaria saw them miss out. Young Irish star Jonny Evans missed the match through injury.

For England, the 3-2 defeat against Croatia ended a dismal campaign and means a handful of Reds will be given the summer off. In fact, 13 of United's established European players will not be going to Austria-Switzerland.

Nani and Cristiano Ronaldo are two players that will be heading to the finals, as Portugal earned the point they needed to qualify in a 0-0 draw with Finland.

Elsewhere in Wednesday night's internationals, Edwin van der Sar was given a rest as Holland, who had already qualified, lost 2-1 to Belarus. Patrice Evra was an unused substitute in France's dead rubber 2-2 draw with Ukraine.
22/11/2007 11:40, Report by Tom Vickers

Rio's too good for Ryan

Promising United defender Ryan Shawcross has ditched Rio Ferdinand as his role model in favour of a rival club's captain.

But the young Red isn't being disloyal when he cites Chelsea's John Terry as the example he follows - he's merely making an honest appraisal of his style.

"Terry's the main one, he’s a tough defender," says Shawcross. “I used to model myself on Rio but he’s too good on the ball for me.”

Powerful centre-back Shawcross, 20, is currently on a six month loan deal at Stoke City and enjoying every second of it. He's making a big impact in the Championship and was the division's Player of the Month for October.

“I’ve enjoyed it because I’ve been playing a lot of games and scoring a few goals," explains Shawcross.

“I came to Stoke for first team experience and that’s what I’ve got.”

Ryan's first team experience at United has so far been limited to pre-season friendlies and just two competitive games - his debut in last season's Carling Cup victory at Crewe and the defeat at Southend in the next round. He then spent several months at Royal Antwerp in Belgium, helping them to reach the play-offs.

“I enjoyed my time at Antwerp, it’s a really nice culture out there. But (football wise) it was much more relaxed with not as much pressure on the ball. It’s definitely not as tough as the English league.

"Now I'm playing in the Championship and it’s been really tough because you have to fight for everything.

"Playing against 16 and 17 year olds in the reserve league doesn't really improve you but at Stoke I'm playing against men every week and it's 100 miles per hour. It's a great experience and it toughens you up."

Shawcross hopes his development at Stoke will lead to a career in the Premier League. But in the short term there's a decision to be made by Sir Alex and Potters boss Tony Pulis about the second half of this season.

"At Christmas the two gaffers will have to sit down and decide what I’m going to do," says Ryan. "But for now, I just want to play as many games as I can for Stoke and win as many as we can."

Ryan ShawcrossBirthdate: 4 October 1987

Birthplace: Chester, England

Position: Defender

United Appearances: 2

United Goals: 0

United Debut: 25 October 2006 vs Crewe Alexandra (Carling Cup, away)

Further reading: Ryan's full profile

22/11/2007 11:14, Report by Steve Bartram

Reserves ready for Bury

youthful Reserves side will aim to continue United's winning start to the 2007/08 Manchester Senior Cup against Bury on Thursday evening.
Gary Neville and Chris Eagles featured as the Reds hit six against Stockport in their last Senior Cup outing, but Brian McClair and Jim Ryan will rely on a host of youngsters at the Victoria Stadium.
Ron Robert-Zieler starts in goal, behind a defence of David Gray, Richard Eckersley, James Chester and Tom Cleverley.
Sean Evans and Michael Barnes flank a central midfield partnership of Sam Hewson and Kieran Lee, while Chris Fagan partners Dong Fangzhuo upfront.
The substitutes' bench comprises Gary Woods, Febian Brandy, Corry Evans, Danny Welbeck and Magnus Eikrem.

United: Zieler; Gray, R Eckersley, Chester, Cleverley; Barnes, Lee, Hewson, S Evans; Fagan, Dong.
Substitutes: Woods, Brandy, C Evans, Welbeck, Eikrem.
Papers: Breakaway fear
22/11/2007 09:37

Breakaway fear over big three
Are the big three - Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal - finally plotting a breakaway to join a new European elite league? It is an old fear but it is the big question on the lips of rival chairmen when they gather for a Premier League 'shareholders' meeting today in London. For years there has been speculation about Europe's superpowers, including Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and the three biggest English clubs forming the basis of a breakaway European Super League. The suspicions remain and there is renewed fear that something is cooking.
Harry Harris, Daily Express

As expected, the main news dominating the tabloids is England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008 and the sacking of former United coach Steve McClaren after an emergency FA board meeting on Thursday morning, at which United chief executive David Gill was present.

In other news, Carlos Tevez will be suspended for three international games following his sending off for Argentina against Colombia on Tuesday.

United legend Brian Kidd is in the frame to make a dramatic return to the top flight as Everton’s new assistant boss.
Round up by Gemma Thompson

21/11/2007 10:44, Report by Steve Bartram

Tevez off in Argentina loss

Carlos Tevez was sent off in Argentina's World Cup qualifying defeat to Colombia on Tuesday night.
Having earlier come close to opening the scoring with a volley, the United striker was dismissed after just 24 minutes for an off-the-ball scuffle with defender Ruben Bustos.
Barcelona star Lionel Messi gave the Argentines an unlikely lead 10 minutes later, but second-half strikes from Bustos and Dairo Moreno gave the hosts a 2-1 victory.
Despite their first defeat of the qualifying campaign, however, Argentina still top the CONMEBOL table with nine points from four games, one point ahead of Colombia.
23/11/2007 13:45, Report by Ben Hibbs

Swift return for Rooney

Wayne Rooney could return for United as soon as Monday week when Fulham visit Old Trafford.
The Reds striker scored eight goals in seven games before a training ground accident forced him onto the sidelines.
The initial prognosis signalled that United would be without the influential front man for a month.

But Rooney is a quick healer, and after doing light running on Thursday and Friday this week, should be in contention for the Monday night game on 3 December.
“I think he will be back for the Fulham game, definitely," said the boss.

“He’s doing some running. Somebody reported that they saw him training on Tuesday. That’s some eye sight!
“He started some light running on Thursday and did some good running on Friday.

"Wayne won’t play at Bolton or against Sporting Lisbon, but I would think he'll be available for Fulham."

Rooney scored eight goals in seven games before suffering the injury. His quick comeback is a major fillip for Sir Alex ahead of the busy festive schedule.

23/11/2007 12:44, Report by Steve Bartram

Vidic a doubt but Tevez fit

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Nemanja Vidic is a doubt for Saturday's trip to Bolton, but revealed that Wayne Rooney will return against Fulham in the Reds' following Premier League match.

Vidic suffered a back injury while on international duty with Serbia and, although he undertook some light running on Friday, Sir Alex will wait until Saturday before making a decision on his inclusion.

"Nemanja is the only player I'm worried about for Saturday," said the boss. "He got a knock and could only do some jogging on Friday. There is a doubt about him, but we'll see how he is."

While there are doubts over Vidic's participation, the United manager revealed that Carlos Tevez will start at the Reebok Stadium, despite media reports that he would be rested due to tiredness.

“I don’t know where the story came from that he is tired," Sir Alex said. "I asked him about it and he didn’t know anything about it. I suggested to him that maybe he should be on the bench against Bolton. He just gave me a look.”

Club captain Gary Neville is also set to resume his comeback in the Reserves' trip to Sunderland next Thursday. Sir Alex said: "Gary has had a few set-backs, but he will play in the reserves next week. He's doing very well and trained with the first-team on Friday, which is good news."
返回列表