返回列表 回復 發帖
10/03/2008 07:09, Report by Adam Bostock

Fletcher's fortitude

Darren Fletcher may have underlined his reputation as a man for the big occasion in the past month but he'll happily take any action that comes his way.

After missing out on the 16 for Saturday's FA Cup defeat by Portsmouth, the Scot hopes to test his mettle in the forthcoming league battles against Derby and Bolton.

"I enjoy the added pressure of the big games," admits Fletcher, who scored two against Arsenal last month and was voted ManUtd.com's man of the match against Lyon last week.

"That’s the reason you’re at United - to play in the big matches against your domestic rivals and in the latter stages of the Champions League.

"At this club we’re expected to win every game, so it doesn’t matter who the opposition are, the fans demand victory. I relish going out onto the pitch under that pressure."

Fletcher has started fewer matches than his many rivals for a central midfield berth, but he believes that could have its benefits as United approach the crucial climax to the campaign.

Darren told United Review, "There are a lot of us vying for places in midfield and I’ve had to be patient. But I feel raring to go and in good condition so I’m ready for the rest of the run-in.

"Hopefully, my performances have shown a lot of energy. I’m sure there’ll be a lot more of that nearer the end of the season."

Darren Fletcher was speaking to Steve Bartram.
09/03/2008 19:07, Report by Adam Bostock

Arsenal held again

United's domestic campaign received a welcome boost on Sunday when rivals Arsenal tossed away two more precious points in the league.

The Gunners' goalless draw at Wigan was their third successive stalemate in the Barclays Premier League after their inability to beat Aston Villa at home and Birmingham away.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said, "We're in a patch where we're not taking enough points, but we'll stay calm. We have a very good chance of winning this championship."

Another Sunday result may also have a bearing on the title race - Middlesbrough's FA Cup defeat at home to Cardiff leaves them free to host United in the league on Sunday 6 April. Boro's exit also means United's conquerors Portsmouth are the only top-flight team in the FA Cup semi-finals. The other teams through are Barnsley and West Brom.

TeamPGDPTS1 Arsenal29+36662 Man Utd28+43643 Chelsea27+25584 Liverpool29+33565 Everton29+23566 Aston Villa28+1548
Forthcoming Fixtures12 Mar - Chelsea v Derby

15 Mar - Derby v United
15 Mar - Sunderland v Chelsea
15 Mar - Arsenal v Middlesbrough

19 Mar - United v Bolton
19 Mar - Tottenham v Chelsea
Papers: Boss faces charge
10/03/2008 09:50

Ref rap Fergie faces FA charge
Sir Alex Ferguson faces an FA charge for a verbal attack on referee Martin Atkinson and his chief Keith Hackett. The Manchester United boss was furious with the treatment dished out to Cristiano Ronaldo in the FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth. He blasted: “Keith Hackett’s got a lot to answer for in this country, I don’t think he’s doing his job properly. He’s got his favourites as everyone knows. He needs to be assessed. I’ll be assessed as a manager, the players will be assessed and the referee should be assessed today - properly - by the right people.”
Neil Custis, The Sun

The Daily Mirror claims Sir Alex continued his FA Cup attack with a furious telephone call to Keith Hackett in the aftermath of United's defeat to Portsmouth.

In other news, the United boss may send Ben Foster to Coventry. City manager Chris Coleman wants the fit-again goalkeeper on loan until the end of the season and Fergie will make a decision today, once he assesses the fall-out of the FA Cup defeat by Portsmouth. Coleman had a deal set up for Foster before Saturday's Old Trafford shocker when Edwin van der Sar was injured and Tomasz Kuszczak sent off.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
12/03/2008 09:55, Report by Ben Hibbs

High hopes for Manucho

United’s January signing Manucho may be relatively unknown to most Reds fans, but he could be making an impact in the Premier League next season.

Manucho, who scored on his debut for loan club Panathinaikos in their 2-0 win over Larisa at the weekend, was plucked from obscurity in Angola when a new scouting contact discovered his raw talent.

The task now to harness his potential, the first steps of which have been taken in sending him on loan to Greece, which should also aid his application for a work permit.

United’s assistant manager Carlos Queiroz, whose Portuguese contact unearthed Manucho, has high hopes of the qualities he will bring in the very near future.

“First of all he is a player that can score goals,” Queiroz told MUTV. “He’s not the sort of player you come across easily and to have the possibility to bring quality forwards to our club doesn’t happen very often.

“We are absolutely convinced he has enough qualities and potential to have a chance in the game, despite the fact that he is now 25.”

Manucho may be a late starter, but his excellent performances in the African Cup of Nations indicate a promising future.
“He showed during that competition that he is a special forward: a tall target man, a typical number nine in the box but also with enough skills to play the game and support the players behind. He’s also good with both feet and can score from inside the box or from distance.

Manucho's time with Panathinaikos will be telling – a chance to see how he copes in mainland Europe.

United's coaches will keenly monitor his progress, and with a goal on his debut for the Greek side, things are looking good.

“He just needs the opportunity to learn the game and get used to the pace of European football,” added Queiroz.

“We believe sending him on loan to Panathinaikos will help him to develop and if everything goes well we hope next season we will see him among our players.”

One for the future"We believe sending him to Panathinaikos will help him develop. If everything goes well we'll see him among our players."
- Carlos Queiroz

Player Factfile

Full name
: Mateus Alberto Contreiras Goncalves
Born: 7 March 1983 (25)
Position: Forward/left winger
International: (Angola) 14 apps 6 goals
Previous clubs: Benfica de Luanda, Petro Atlético
12/03/2008 08:19, Report by James Tuck

Sir Alex hails English power

The Premier League is now indisputably leading the way in Europe, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

United are one of four English teams in the hat for Friday’s Champions League quarter final draw (12:00 GMT), along with one side each from Spain, Germany, Italy and Turkey. Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are also still involved and Sir Alex believes that demonstrates the quality of English football.

“I think the Premier League is the strongest in Europe,” he told MUTV. “For a spell it was the Spanish league – I remember about seven or eight years ago they had three teams in the semi-finals and Spanish football was really strong, but I think the English game has now reached that level.

“You expect three of the four English teams to be in the semi finals this year, unless they are drawn against each other [in the quarter-finals]. We now have a 40% chance of being drawn against an English team, which is a measure of the quality of this division.”

United have never experienced an all-English tie in the Champions League, but the manager is relaxed about what Friday’s draw has in store, which will also reveal potential semi-finals opponents.

He said: “Once the format changed and three or four teams from each country were allowed into the competition, it was inevitable that they would face each other at some point, so I’m always geared to playing against an English team. It doesn’t matter who we get in the quarter-finals. Knowing who you’ll get in the semi-finals as well is an incentive, but we’ll take what we get.”
12/03/2008 08:07, Report by James Tuck

No fear in Euro draw

Ji-sung Park is confident United can go all the way in the Champions League this season, declaring: "We can beat anyone."

There is a real possibility that Friday’s quarter-final draw could pit United against another English side, with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool, who progressed on Tuesday at the expense of Inter Milan, also in the hat. But Park doesn't care who the Reds are paired with.

The Korea midfielder told ManUtd.kr: “We don’t mind who we play next. Maybe it would be good for English football if we drew an English team but, for me, it doesn’t matter.

“We don’t worry about the opposition because we have good players and we've shown our quality this season. As long as we concentrate on our performance, we can beat anyone."

Last weekend's frustrating FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth ended United’s chances of winning three trophies this season, but the double is still on and Park believes the Reds’ strength in depth will be key to their chances.

“We have the squad to win any competition,” he said. “In the last few games our starting line-up has been quite different, but we're getting good results so we believe we can win the Premier League and Champions League.”

Park bullish"As long as we concentrate on our performance, we can beat anyone."
– Ji-sung Park

Champions League Draw
Friday, 12:00 GMT

Arsenal
Barcelona
Chelsea
Fenerbahce
Liverpool
Manchester United
Roma
Schalke

11/03/2008 14:58, Report by Ben Hibbs

FA write to Sir Alex and Carlos

The Football Association has sent a letter to Sir Alex Ferguson and his assistant Carlos Queiroz asking them to explain comments made after the Reds' FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth.

Ferguson and Queiroz were both unhappy with the refereeing performance of Martin Atkinson, most notably because they felt he failed to award a penalty for what they felt was a clear foul on Cristiano Ronaldo after just seven minutes of the tie.

United went on to lose 1-0, and the Reds boss and his assistant felt the incident was a turning point in the game.

Sir Alex was also unhappy with (Match Officials Board manager) Keith Hackett.

In a statement on its website, the FA said: "[We] have written to Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and assistant coach Carlos Queiroz to ask them to explain their media comments made following the FA Cup tie against Portsmouth."

Both parties have until Wednesday 19 March to respond.
11/03/2008 12:00, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds confirm Dons clash

United will play a pre-season match against Sir Alex Ferguson's former club Aberdeen this summer.

The Scottish Premier League side confirmed the details at a press conference on Tuesday.

United's visit north of the border marks the 25th anniversary of the Dons winning the European Cup Winners' Cup.

Sir Alex will take a Reds team to Pittodrie for a friendly fixture scheduled to take place on Saturday 12 July (kick-off 15:00 BST).

The European success in 1983 was one of the central achievements in one of the club's most successful periods, as Sir Alex broke the Old Firm's domination in Scotland.

Announcing the anniversary match, Tom Smith, chairman of the Gothenburg Greats Testimonial Committee, said: "The Testimonial Committee are extremely grateful to the directors of Manchester United and to Aberdeen Football Club for their kind support and for their co-operation.

"It is a tremendous gesture from Manchester United which will benefit both the Gothenburg Greats and Aberdeen."

The Don of AberdeenSir Alex joined the Dons in June 1978, and in season 1979/80 delivered the first of three titles at Pittodrie - Aberdeen's first league success since 1955. In 1982 they won the Scottish Cup, qualifying the Dons to take part in the European Cup Winners' Cup the following season. They beat Bayern Munich and Real Madrid on their way to glory.

Sir Alex's Aberdeen trophies
Scottish League: (3) 1979-80, 1983-84, 1984-85
Scottish Cup: (4) 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86
Scottish League Cup: (1) 1985-86
Cup Winners' Cup: (1) 1982-83
UEFA Super Cup: (1) 1983-84

11/03/2008 09:56, Report by Ben Hibbs

Robson to take Reds role?

Reds legend Bryan Robson is being strongly linked with an ambassadorial role at Old Trafford, similar to that of Sir Bobby Charlton.

The 51-year-old former Reds captain, who spent 13 years at United making 461 appearances and scoring 98 goals, would be welcomed with open arms to such a position.

Media reports claim that Robson is considering the post, although director of communications Phil Townsend said that there is "no deal as yet".

"Bryan is a key figure in our past," he added, "and if he wished to take on such a role, then we would be delighted to see him return to the club."

Robson departed his last managerial post with Sheffield United earlier this year.
11/03/2008 07:35, Report by Ben Hibbs

U18s learn new systems

United’s Under-18s have been experimenting with different formations in recent weeks as the Reds youngsters prepare for possible life in the first-team.

Under instruction from Sir Alex Ferguson, U18s coach Paul McGuinness has been breaking free from the standard 4-4-2 set-up as part of the Academy players’ football education.

In the Reds’ recent 2-1 win over Crewe Alexandra, United lined up in a 4-3-3 system. And while there are still a few things to iron out, McGuinness is pleased with the way his players adapted.

“We tried something a bit different,” he says. “It takes some getting used to, but it is all part of the learning process. The manager, Sir Alex, certainly wants us to do it as part of the boys’ education.

“We had some really good passages of play,” he added. “There are aspects we will work on so the players know exactly how to play that system.

"There will be more occasions this season where we will try and play using different formations because, ultimately, we have to prepare players for the first-team, where sometimes alternative systems and formations are required to deal with different opponents."
Papers: Benfica chase Carlos
12/03/2008 09:42

Benfica target Queiroz
Carlos Queiroz is wanted by Portuguese giants Benfica to be their next manager. Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson's No.2 has been targeted by Benfica after they sacked Jose Antonio Camacho. Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira believes he can lure Queiroz back to his native Portugal for another crack at being a manager of a top European club. Queiroz left Old Trafford for one year to take charge of Real Madrid but was given his job back by Fergie after his reign in Spain ended in disappointment. But Benfica have made Queiroz their No.1 target even though he rejected the chance to become their manager in 2005.
John Cross and David Anderson, Daily Mirror

Queiroz and Sir Alex have been contacted by the Football Association and asked to explain their comments following the FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Portsmouth.
Round up by Gemma Thompson

13/03/2008 08:58, Report by Nick Coppack

Neville sets first team target

Gary Neville says he’s itching to return to the first-team squad after almost 12 months out of action.

United’s club captain played 70 minutes for the Reserves on Wednesday night and now has his sights firmly set on rejoining the race for the Barclays Premier League title.

“It’s great to be playing football again,” Neville told MUTV. “That’s my second game in a couple of weeks and I seem to have come through it okay. In that sense it’s a real positive, although I want to get back into travelling with the first team.

“By next week I’d like to be involved with the first team, even if’s just travelling with the side and being part of it again.”

Neville was injured last March against Bolton Wanderers and has since suffered a number of setbacks on the road to recovery.

“Hopefully I’ve seen the back of it now,” Neville said. “I just need to concentrate on training hard and playing well. It’s been a frustrating period and a very long time – too long. No footballer likes not playing but I’m not the first footballer to be out for 12 months. You just have to get on with it.

“Playing with the Reserves is really exciting for me. Just being out on the pitch and on the training ground… I love doing that.”

13/03/2008 07:33, Report by James Tuck

Edwin eyes more Euro glory

Edwin van der Sar may be a Champions League veteran but his appetite for European success has not diminished.
It is 13 years since the goalkeeper won the competition with Ajax and he is determined to claim another winner’s medal with United before hanging up his boots.
The 37-year-old is one of five members of the current squad to have experienced Champions League glory – Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Wes Brown were all part of the Reds’ Treble-winning squad in 1999.
“Everybody wants to win it and we’ll be doing our very best to claim another medal,” Van der Sar told MUTV.
“It’s a long time since I won it and it’s the same for the boys who played in 1999, so everyone’s determined to repeat it.”
While some of his team-mates have claimed they do not mind who United are pitted against in Friday's quarter-final draw, Van der Sar revealed he would be happier not to face one of the three other English teams.
“I would prefer to play a European team," he said. "It’s part of the Champions League experience: you go to the airport, you fly somewhere, you rest in the hotel, you train the night before the game and you play in different surroundings in front of a hostile crowd.
“I would prefer that but if we’re drawn against an English side, we’ll deal with it.”

13/03/2008 09:36, Report by Gemma Thompson

Carlos: It's time to deliver

Carlos Queiroz insists it's vital the players get over their FA Cup exit as quickly as possible and focus their efforts on Premier League and European glory.

United's assistant boss admits the quarter-final defeat to Portsmouth last weekend was a bitter pill to swallow, but he remains confident in the team's ability to bounce back from adversity.

"We were very down after the Portsmouth game. It was a bad feeling because we felt the trophy escaped from our grasp," Queiroz told MUTV.

"There was a lot of frustration and sadness amongst the team and the staff. But the most important thing now is to show the right attitude, the Manchester United attitude and bounce back from what happened. We need to keep moving forward."

Three league games in a week now await the Reds with a trip to bottom-placed Derby on Saturday, before two home games against Bolton (Wednesday) and Liverpool (Easter Sunday).

Arsenal's third consecutive league draw at Wigan last weekend means United are now just two points behind the league leaders and they have a chance to leapfrog Arsene Wenger's men with victory in their next two matches.

"We cannot rely and expect other teams to make mistakes in our favour. It is up to us to do our job," insists Queiroz. "This is a crucial part of the season and there is no room for error on our part. Now is the time to deliver.

"We expect the best from our players - the best concentration, the best football and the best motivation. Everything needs to be perfect."
13/03/2008 08:22, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds trail Cardiff kid?

Sir Alex Ferguson has reportedly shown an interest in Cardiff City's Wales U21 international Aaron Ramsey.

The left-sided player's fine performance in Cardiff's FA Cup quarter final victory over Middlesbrough has thrust him into the spotlight.

Despite being just 17, Ramsey has already been linked with a move to the Premier League, with reports suggesting he could be valued at as much as £5million.

There has been no formal contact from United, but Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale says Sir Alex has been in touch.

"Sir Alex Ferguson did make a telephone call to our manager, Dave Jones, but that is the only contact of any sort," he told the South Wales Echo.

"It was no more than a call to ask what the youngster is like.

"We know there is strong interest in Aaron among a number of Premiership clubs.

"But nobody has made any sort of offer and we certainly have not agreed anything."

Player ProfileName: Aaron Ramsey
Born: Caerphilly (nr Cardiff), Wales
Position: Left midfield
Club record: He became Cardiff's youngest ever player (aged 16 years and 124 days) when he played came on as a sub against Hull at the end of last season. Since the turn of the year he's regularly been involved in the first-team.
Other interest: Everton are said to be on his trail, and an unnamed Premier League club had a £1million bid turn down in the summer.
International: Made his debut for Wales U21s in August, some four months before he'd turned 17.
返回列表