返回列表 回復 發帖
17/03/2008 09:51, Report by James Tuck

Brown: We must be ruthless

Wes Brown has warned United must end their wastefulness in front of goal to ensure Premier League title glory.

The Reds spurned chance after chance against Derby on Saturday and were set to drop unexpected points until Cristiano Ronaldo popped up with the 75th-minute winner.

“We’re getting really good chances, we’ve got to start putting them away," Brown told MUTV. “We made it hard for ourselves against Derby. We could have finished the game in the first 10 or 15 minutes. Luckily we got the winner in the end, which was a real relief.”

After passing up several early opportunities at Pride Park, United could have fallen behind had debutant Ben Foster not denied Kenny Miller with two superb saves in the space of a minute. “Ben’s a great keeper," he added. "It was his first game for a long time and he came in and did brilliantly.”

United top the table on goal difference ahead of Arsenal and have a game in hand on the Gunners - Bolton at Old Trafford on Wednesday. “It’s always good to be top,” Brown added. “If we can get another three points against Bolton, it’d be great for us and we know then that if we win every game, we will win the league again.”

17/03/2008 09:36, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds in for another fight

After scraping through against Derby County, United are in for another battle against Bolton Wanderers when the relegation-threatened North-west side visit Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Trotters skipper Kevin Nolan has pleaded with the club's fans to get behind the team at Old Trafford as they begin a run of nine games to protect their Premier League status.

Gary Megson's men were booed off the pitch after a 1-0 defeat away to Wigan on Sunday, a fourth straight league defeat which continues their perilous slide toward potential relegation.

"We were poor against Wigan, especially in the first half," Nolan told the club's website. "In the second half we put them under pressure but it was just that goal we needed. We were rightly booed off by our fans.

"It's always disappointing to see that and to see the anger in their faces. As club captain I ask them to please stay with us. We need them in our hour of need. It's up to us to stand up and be counted. We've got nine games to get ourselves out of this. It's not the time to talk about it, we need to do it."

Megson's men, who beat the Reds back in November at the Reebok Stadium, have struggled since Chelsea signed their goalscorer on that day, Nicolas Anelka, in the January transfer window.

And they will now also be without influential goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen. The Finland international missed Sunday's defeat to Wigan with a back problem, and is unlikely to play again this season.
17/03/2008 08:52, Report by Gemma Thompson

Carlos: We'll be ready for Roma

Carlos Queiroz is confident United can reach the Champions League semi-finals by disposing of AS Roma for the second successive season.

It’s also the second time in this campaign the Reds have been paired with the Giallorossi - United won the first group game at home and drew the other away. Queiroz admits Roma are a much-improved side compared to the one that was so soundly beaten last season, but he is confident the players will get the job done.

"It’ll be a difficult game as all matches at this stage of the competition are, but I think we have a good chance," said United's assistant manager.

"Roma are an improving team as they showed against Real Madrid in the last round. I think they're better than when we played them last season and in this season's group stages. But we know we can beat them. Hopefully we can do our job and reach the semi-finals.

"We’re pleased to be playing against European opposition, rather than one of the English teams," he added. "It’s what you expect when you play in the Champions League.

"At the moment we are very well positioned in both the title race and Europe and the team are playing well. So we're feeling very positive about the remainder of the season."

Roma's first result after being drawn against United was a home win over AC Milan. After going 1-0 down to Kaka's 56th-minute strike, the Giallorossi rallied with two goals in quick succession from substitutes Ludovic Giuly (78) and Mirko Vucinic (81).
Papers: Jewell praises Ron
17/03/2008 09:54

Ronaldo and Foster to the rescue
A single-goal win over a team desperate not to become the worst in the history of the Barclays Premier League is, on the face of it, nothing to brag about. Yet in the context of this season's title race, Cristiano Ronaldo's goal 14 minutes from the end of a very testing encounter could turn out to be as crucial as any he has scored during past eight months. “He’s brilliant, Ronaldo, isn’t he?” [Derby County boss] Paul Jewell said to a nodding audience. “You can’t man-mark him because he starts off up front, drifts wide, comes into the hole. He’s six-foot-two, brave as a lion, strong as an ox and quick as lightning. If he was good looking you’d say he has everything.”
Neil Moxley, Daily Mail

Reports from Saturday’s match dominate the column inches, with Ben Foster’s heroics earning much of the limelight. The Reds stopper made two brilliant saves in the space of 60 seconds to deny Derby County at Pride Park.

Elsewhere, Wednesday’s visitors to Old Trafford, Bolton, will face United without first-choice goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen. The Sun report Jaaskelainen, 32, was “crocked in the warm-up before the UEFA Cup tie with Sporting Lisbon” 11 days ago and is set to miss the rest of the season. Oman ‘keeper Ali Al Habsi is expected to start in his place.
Round up by Nick Coppack

17/03/2008 12:50, Report by Jo O'Brien

Dream day for supporters

The United players took time out from training recently to meet supporters with life-limiting illnesses.

The fans had made a wish to meet their idols and it was granted by charities Dream Come True and Rays of Sunshine in association with the Manchester United Foundation.

The sun kept shining while guests watched a first team training session. Afterwards they enjoyed a meet and greet with Sir Alex Ferguson and the players. Later, some fans took the opportunity to go to the museum and take a tour of Old Trafford.

Some of the fans travelled with their relatives or carers from as far away as Devon and Cornwall. All enjoyed the day, from the youngest aged 10 to the eldest at 26.

Corey, 10, who has Spinal Muscular Actophy Type II, said, "It’s been brilliant, just brilliant." His dad Matthew said, "Corey’s in awe, I’ve never seen him so quiet. He’s loved it."

Sarah, 25, who has Dentator Urbal-Pallidluysian Atrophy, loved showing off her signed United shirt. Her carer Nickie Allen added, "It’s been fab. The lads were really nice."
Natalie, 20, from Cheshire was ecstatic at meeting Danny Simpson and Cristiano Ronaldo in particular. "Absolutely amazing, fantastic, top notch!" she said, summing up her experience.

Since 2000, Manchester United has been proud to host more than 20 such events, known as Dream Days. All have been a great success, bringing a lot of joy to all concerned.

Watch this space for details of anew MU Foundation website... launching soon.
17/03/2008 10:07, Report by Ben Hibbs

U18s: Boro 2 United 0

United's Under-18s couldn't make the most of their chances and eventually went down 2-0 against a strong Middlesbrough side on Saturday.

The Reds got off to a rapid start in a match full of incdent, and could have taken the lead on numerous occasions early in the game, most notably inside the first 30 seconds. United's Italian striker Federico Macheda was put clean through, but Boro goalkeeper Jason Steele saved well to deny the Roman forward.

The home side came into the contest more as the half progressed and, despite United still creating chances, took the lead on 27 minutes when Jonathan Franks found space in the box and fired home to put Boro 1-0 up.

After the break the Reds had a deflected cross cleared off the line, before Boro had a goal disallowed and then hit the crossbar.

With ten minutes remaining the home team had Joe Bennett sent off and United really began to pike the pressure on. But as Paul McGuinness' young side poured forward, it left spaces open at the back and a Boro attack ended with Franks grabbing his second of the afternoon.

The Reds again hit the bar late on, another reminder that they perhaps could have got more out of this game against an in-form side unbeaten this year.

United: Woods; Stewart, Strickland, Wootton, Dudgeon (Derbyshire); Norwood, James (Eikrem 70), C.Evans, Galbraith; Bryan, Macheda.
Subs not used: Gill

18/03/2008 08:55, Report by Nick Coppack

Boss: Short-term focus

18/03/2008 08:55, Report by Nick Coppack

Boss: Short-term focus
The build-up to Easter Sunday's clash with Liverpool has well and truly begun, yet Sir Alex insists he’s not looking past Bolton Wanderers’ visit on Wednesday.

The Reds’ boss admits Sunday's game could be “pivotal” in the title race, although it would count for little should United drop points against Gary Megson’s side.

“There are big games coming up and [Liverpool] is one of them, especially when you consider Chelsea are playing Arsenal on the same day,” Sir Alex told Manchester United Radio. “But when you see what happened at Derby on Saturday, not taking our chances, you realise you can’t take anything for granted. Sure, there are big weekends ahead, but the other matches are just as important.”

Bolton, lingering in the drop zone and without a league win since the first weekend of February, certainly share the Reds’ hunger for points, even if the motivation is different. Megson's team beat United back in November and Sir Alex says they'll make life difficult again. “They’ve got Kevin Davies up front and he’ll do everything he possibly can to unsettle us.

“He’s a physical lad and we have to deal with that but I think Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have the height and ability to do that. Of course, losing Jussi Jaaskelainen is definitely a big blow for Bolton because he’s one of the best goalkeepers in the division, but they have experience in Ivan Campo and Kevin Nolan.

“If we perform well and take our chances then we’ll win the match. But it’s important we respect our opponents. Some of our football recently has been terrific and there’s good penetration in the team. It’s encouraging that we’re making so many chances… perhaps the forwards just need to relax a little in front of goal. Then the goals will come.”
18/03/2008 08:26, Report by Nick Coppack

Silvestre eyes return

Mikael Silvestre could return to competitive action this week after a six-month injury layoff.

The Frenchman damaged cruciate knee ligaments in United's 1-0 win over Everton at Goodison Park in September 2007.

After a successful rehabilitation programme the 30-year-old defender has now returned to training.

And Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that the full-back could take part in United’s Reserves clash with Manchester City on Thursday night.

“Mikael’s training with the first-team now and he’s coming along well,” Sir Alex told Manchester United Radio.

“It’s mainly been no-contact stuff but he should play in the next Reserves game, along with Gary Neville.”

The Reserves take on third-placed Manchester City at Northwich Victoria on Thursday 20 March (19:00 GMT).

You can watch the match live on MUTV. Coverage starts 18:30 GMT.
Papers: Reds chase Villa?
18/03/2008 09:14

£20million Villa on his way
Chelsea and Manchester United were last night on red alert after Spanish ace David Villa revealed he is ready to quit Valencia.
Villa, rated at £20million, is one of the most feared strikers in Europe and has been targeted by both the Blues and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.
The 26-year-old said: “As is only right, I need to think about my future and I am open to any solution.
“I will take into consideration all the offers that I am made, obviously with the blessing of the club where I am under contract.”
Villa – who is expected to be a key man for Spain at this summer’s Euro 2008 finals – has also been linked with Real Madrid and Barcelona.
The Sun

Meanwhile, The Times claim FC Porto have denied United have made a bid for defender Jose Boswinga, while The Daily Mail reports Reds officials are in Rome conducting “peace talks” ahead of next month’s Champions League quarter-final clash with AS Roma. Violence marred the 2006/07 meetings between the sides but this season’s two games passed by with little incident. Still, according to the paper, “there are real fears violence could flare again now that the stakes are much higher”.

The Star have equated Sir Alex’s quotes on United’s recent missed chances to a “battle cry” ahead of Bolton’s visit to Old Trafford on Wednesday night. “The missed chances are becoming a concern,” the manager said. “We were really charitable against Portsmouth and against Derby. It’s a sticky spell in front of goal that we must get over.”
Round up by Nick Coppack

19/03/2008 08:41, Report by Nick Coppack

Carrick: Experience is key

Michael Carrick says United’s experience could prove crucial in the side’s quest for Premier League success.

The vast majority of the Reds’ squad have lifted the trophy in the past – Carrick managed the feat in his first season at Old Trafford – and it’s this experience the midfielder says will be priceless as the season approaches its climax.

“We know how to kick it over the finishing line,” Carrick told Manchester United Radio.

“Hopefully last season’s success will benefit us this time around. You can always call on experience to help you through the tough times and this squad has plenty of that.

“I think we have the edge in terms of that and I think we’re the best team. Hopefully time will prove that.”

The Reds’ next test comes tonight against a Bolton Wanderers side battling for top-flight survival.

But although Bolton linger at the wrong end of the table, Carrick says United are mindful of what happened at the Reebok Stadium in November.

“We went there and they gave us a tough game – they beat us – so we’re not underestimating Bolton,” he said.

“They’re fighting for their lives and we want to win every game. If we play close to our best then we should win the match.”

19/03/2008 10:54, Report by Adam Bostock

Campbell toasts call-up in style

Young United striker Fraizer Campbell gave a timely display of his talents last night (Tuesday) when he scored two goals for loan club Hull City - just hours after receiving his first call-up for England Under-21s.

The 20 year-old's inclusion in Stuart Pearce's squad to face Poland next Tuesday (25 March) is reward for his red-hot form at Hull. He has now notched 13 goals in 27 games for the Tigers, including the double which helped them to win 3-1 at Colchester United.

Campbell's tormenting of Colchester also resulted in a red card for defender Phil Ifil after just 14 minutes. Hull boss Phil Brown was less than impressed by Ifil's challenge, saying: "It was malicious, and it could have caused Frazier serious damage, so I think that the referee has done his job, no matter what anyone says."

Happily Campbell was able to play on, claim his two goals and prompt Hull chairman Paul Duffen to contemplate keeping Campbell on a permanent basis.

"I have said consistently that the challenge is first Manchester United have to confirm they don't want him," said Duffen.

"Then we have to be a Premier League club if we want to attract him. I don't see Fraizer signing for a Championship club. In fact, I would advise him not to, I think he's too good."

Hull are now just five points off the pace for automatic promotion to the Premier League.

18/03/2008 11:51, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds confirm Villa kick-off

United's Premier League clash with Aston Villa will now be played on Saturday 29 March.

The match, which was initially moved from Saturday to the Sunday for television purposes, has now reverted to its original Saturday slot and will kick-off at 17:15 GMT.

The match will be shown live on Setanta Sports.

This latest change to the date and kick-off time is due to United's progression to the Champions League quarter-final stage, which sees the Reds travel to Rome for a Tuesday 1 April.
Papers: Ready for battle
19/03/2008 10:13

Reds ready for physical battle
Sir Alex Ferguson has told his players to be ready for another physical onslaught by Bolton tonight. The Manchester United boss was sent to the stands - and then banned from the touchline for two games - for losing the plot when Kevin Davies escaped unpunished for two heavy challenges on United defender Patrice Evra earlier in the season. The Red Devils can go three points clear at the top of the table with a victory over relegation-threatened Bolton at Old Trafford tonight. And Fergie warned: "Bolton have got Kevin Davies up front - and he'll do everything he possibly can to unsettle us."
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

The Trotters will have to do without skipper Kevin Nolan on Wednesday night after he was ruled out by a back injury.

In other news, the Daily Star claims former Reds' skipper Roy Keane is after ex-United striker Diego Forlan.

Dimitar Berbatov's representative would want to discuss a move away from White Hart Lane for the Tottenham striker should an offer come in this summer, according to the Daily Mail. Berbatov has been heavily linked with a switch to Old Trafford over the last few months.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
20/03/2008 07:24, Report by Steve Bartram

'Rocket' Ronny honoured

Cristiano Ronaldo admitted it was 'an honour and a pleasure' to captain United for the first time against Bolton Wanderers.

The 23-year-old also scored both goals in the 2-0 victory, taking his goals tally to 33 for the season.

"It's always good to be captain at this massive club," he said. "For me it's an honour and a pleasure. But my responsibilities are the same. I do not change my game or personality just because I'm captain."

Sir Alex Ferguson felt Ronaldo took the added responsibility in his stride. "Cristiano looks for that kind of responsibility, I think he’s very comfortable with it," he MUTV. "Not everyone wants to be captain, but he carries the mantle very well."

Ronaldo's second goal was another superb long-range free-kick - his fifth of the season - and Sir Alex says the winger's success is purely down to practice. "It’s another marvellous free-kick. He has a technique, but practice is the most important aspect of getting shots on target," he said.

Yet again, Ronaldo's technique for striking dead balls came into question and, when asked if he had christened his style, he replied: "I like to hear people say 'the Ronaldo rocket'. Of course, I am joking!"
返回列表