返回列表 回復 發帖

26/03/2008 10:43, Report by Gemma Thompson

Anderson aiming high

Brazilian midfielder Anderson could already lay claim to an unforgettable debut season. But, as he told United Review, there's more he can do to make it even better...

How would you sum up your first season at Old Trafford?
I feel I’ve improved my performances both in matches and in training. At first, it took me time to get used to the way things work at United, but from then on I’ve just tried to improve step-by-step and give my best for the team. I’m very happy with everything about my life at Old Trafford.

Which do you feel has been your best performance so far?
If I had to pick one I’d say the 4-0 win over Wigan [in October]. It was only my fifth appearance for the club and I came on after [Nemanja] Vidic got injured. It was a great win for the team and I felt I was the best player on the pitch that day [laughs]!

You’re a big favourite with the fans already, does that mean a lot to you?
I love it – we all sing each other’s songs in the dressing room when we’re joking around. I find it difficult to describe how it feels to hear the fans sing my name – it’s amazing. It gives me extra strength on the pitch and makes me want to do my best to repay the fans for the fantastic support they have shown me since I joined. They’ve all made me feel very welcome.

The words of the song describe you as a midfield magician and we’ve seen you play in a number of midfield positions – where do you feel your best position is?
I don’t have a preference, to be honest. I just want to play in as many games as possible. Even if I have to play in goal, I’ll do it! I’ve enjoyed every match I’ve been involved in this season and the different positions I’ve taken up. In the long term, I’m sure the
manager will play me wherever
he feels I will be most effective.

Are you pleased to have avoided Liverpool in the Champions League draw and how much are you looking forward to facing Roma again?
To be honest I didn’t really have a preference as to who we were drawn with in the quarter-finals because at this stage of the competition every game is a tough one, no matter who you play. It’ll be a little strange to play Roma again so soon after the group matches, but I’m really looking forward to the tie. We all want to win the trophy and we know we’ll have to fight very hard to do that. But we have a great chance.

Aside from helping the team win trophies, presumably you’re looking to add goals to your game sometime soon…
I’m literally praying for goals [laughs]! I’m hopeful that when I start scoring I will score some important goals in important games. I’ve certainly got some good celebrations planned!

The fixture schedule is going to be very busy between now and the end of the season – are you looking forward to the challenge?
It’s a beautiful thing to be involved in a finale to a season such as this one. We’re in a good position in the Premier League and the Champions League and we are focused on winning both trophies. Do I get nervous? [Puts on his sunglasses and reclines in his chair, grinning] No, never. I’m always happy! And I hope I will be even happier come the end of the season.

26/03/2008 07:02, Report by Nick Coppack

Skipper remains patient

Gary Neville is itching for first-team football but admits he may have to wait until next season for his chance.

The United skipper has eased his way back from injury with a handful of appearances for the Reserves, most recently in last Thursday’s 4-1 win over Manchester City.

“I’ve played three times for the Reserves since the turn of the year and this is the longest run I’ve been on in terms of training and playing games,” Neville told Manchester United Radio.

“It’s going to take time for me to get back to full match sharpness after being out for so long (it’s now more than 12 months since Neville played for the first team). I’m probably a little bit away from first-team sharpness but the only way I’ll get that is by continuing to train with the first team.

“Hopefully I’ll get a game somewhere but that could prove difficult with the significance of the matches we have over the next few weeks. I just have to hope and pray that I get my chance at some point.

“Usually when you’re coming back from injury there’s an opportunity to throw you back into the side – maybe in one of the cup competitions – but every game’s so important now.”
25/03/2008 16:33, Report by Ben Hibbs

Rio hails Reds rearguard

Rio Ferdinand says United's defensive solidarity is down to consistent selection of a settled back four.

The Reds have earned 25 clean sheets from 45 matches in all competitions so far this season. And it's no coincidence that Wes Brown, Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra have started 22 games as a complete unit.

"I said when I first signed for United that when we got a settled back four we would see the benefits as individuals and collectively. That's what we're seeing at the moment."

United's defence once again proved impassable against Liverpool on Sunday, and Ferdinand and Vidic in particular were outstanding. The pair silenced Fernando Torres, who arrived at Old Trafford having scored nine goals in six games.

It was the continuation of one of the most formidable central defensive alliances in the Premier League, and Ferdinand says their understanding happened completely naturally.

"It takes time to get used to playing alongside some players, but myself and Vida hit it off quite quickly. Our styles just gelled, it's as simple as that," he told MUTV. "There are some players that happens with, and long may it continue."

Partners in prime"Myself and Vida hit it off quite quickly. Our styles just gelled, it's as simple as that."
- Rio Ferdinand

Rio and Vida's record
Played 34
Won 25
Drawn 5
Lost 4
26/03/2008 09:39, Report by Steve Bartram

Reds love the pressure

John O'Shea insists United are revelling in yet another Premier League title chase with perennial rivals Chelsea and Arsenal.

Sir Alex Ferguson's reigning champions head the chasing pack by five points with just seven games remaining, and O'Shea says experience allows the Reds to savour the ongoing battle.

"Experience really helps," he told Manchester United Radio. "Even the coaching staff, the experience they have in leading or chasing points. This is the time of the season we really enjoy.

"This is when the pressure comes, when medals are decided and when the players stand up and be counted. Those teams (Chelsea and Arsenal) will know that any slip-up is going to be huge at this stage."

A spate of injuries hampered United's Treble ambitions last term and, with the Premier League and Champions League on the Reds' radar, O'Shea admits going into April with an almost empty treatment room is a welcome change this season.
"You need a bit of luck along the way as well, with injuries, and we’ve had that," he said. "The manager has some really difficult choices when it comes to picking the team. "That was a scenario we didn’t have towards the end of last season and it probably cost us in the Champions League. Fingers crossed we can make up for that this season.

"You look at all the squads in the top leagues in Europe and there are almost 20 internationals in these squads. That’s what’s needed for success these days."

26/03/2008 12:12, Report by Steve Bartram

Duo make England debuts

Fraizer Campbell and Tom Heaton made their international debuts for England U21s on Tuesday evening, but were unable to prevent a frustrating goalless draw with Poland.
The United duo were introduced as second half substitutes, replacing Cameron Jerome and Joe Hart respectively, and both caught the eye in the friendly stalemate.
Goalkeeper Heaton made a spectacular save from Radoslaw Majewski’s dipping shot to keep England's clean sheet, while the lively Campbell, who has excelled on loan at Hull this season, came close to winning the match with a late header which was scrambled clear.
Manager Stuart Pearce was philosophical after the match, but was particularly impressed with Heaton's contribution on his international bow.
"We didn't do enough to win the game, and a draw was probably a fair result," he said. "Once again we've been very difficult to score against and when we needed, the goalkeepers have helped us out.
"I know what Joe Hart can do, so when Tom Heaton came on to make his debut he looked assured, pulling off a good save, which would have given him confidence, too.
"We've got another friendly against Wales on 15 May in Wrexham and that game, and tonight, could be invaluable to us as we look to the final stages of qualifying for next summer's European Championship."
Papers: Is Rio the right man?
26/03/2008 10:25

Rio Gets Skipper Reward
I was as critical of Rio Ferdinand as anybody when he missed a drugs test. I’ve been critical of him since then, too. But I’m glad he’s been given his turn at the England captaincy. I think he deserves his chance. The missed drugs test was five years ago. He served his punishment for that and has move on. He’s also in the form of his life for Manchester United. His display against Fernando Torres on Sunday was breathtakingly good. John Terry would still be my choice as permanent skipper, but giving Rio a shot at the captaincy is a fair reward for his recent consistent excellence.
Oliver Holt, The Mirror

Today’s papers are full of comments on Rio’s new (temporary) role. In The Times, Oliver Kay reminds readers: “Ferdinand cannot claim always to have been the perfect ambassador for the game, having been banned by the FA for eight months in 2004 for failing to attend a drugs test. The 29-year-old has also been banned from driving on four separate occasions, most infamously for a drink-driving offence in 1997.”

The Telegraph point out that since that drugs ban, “his maturity has been self-evident on the pitch and in the passion with which he has taken to campaigning for sporting opportunities and against knife crime in the estates where he grew up”.

Elsewhere, the Daily Express say Cristiano Ronaldo still wants to do the treble. He wants to win the Euro 2008 tournament with Portugal, as well as the Barclays Premier League and the UEFA Champions League.
In an exclusive in The Sun, Wayne Rooney has revealed he’s already started winding up United team-mate Patrice Evra ahead of tonight’s England v France battle. “I’ve been telling Patrice that I’ve been asking to play wide right so I can play against him!”
Round up by Nick Coppack
25/03/2008 09:52, Report by Ben Hibbs

Fans recognise Rooney

Wayne Rooney has been voted ManUtd.com Man of the Match for his commanding display in the 3-0 win over Liverpool on Sunday.

The 22-year-old worked tirelessly as the lone central striker, his energy and movement constantly troubling Liverpool's centre-backs Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel.

Rooney may be lacking a goal that would surely set him on a scoring run, but there's no questioning his contribution to the team.

The fact that he topped our Man of the Match poll, by some distance, ahead of Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand, who were all outstanding, speaks volumes of his valuable input.

Rooney, who was in rich goalscoring form earlier in the season (he scored nine in nine games in October and November), hasn't scored in his last six outings. He had chances against Liverpool, but Pepe Reina made several good saves.

Sir Alex will be keen for the Reds front man to find his scoring boots for the remainder of the season, because if he can add goals to his performances then he will significantly increase United's chances of trophies at home and abroad.
24/03/2008 19:48, Report by Adam Bostock

Pat primed for final push

Patrice Evra wants to maintain a big match mentality as United approach the final seven fixtures of the league season.

The French left-back helped the Reds to produce a powerhouse performance against archrivals Liverpool and insists all remaining games should be treated in the same way by the champions.

"Psychologically it was very good for us to win against Liverpool," says Evra.

"It was a massive game, an important one for the fans and for the club. But we have seven games left to play and we need to win them too. They are like seven finals. We have the destiny of the title in our hands, that's why I hope we continue to win."

Wes Brown's rare goal against Liverpool means Evra is the only member of this season's regular back four not to have scored in this campaign. But Patrice was nonetheless delighted for his fellow defender.

"I think Wes has had an unbelievable season. He works hard every day, in every training session and he's played for United for a long time so it's great for him to score the first goal against Liverpool. I'm very happy for him."

Patrice Evra was talking to MUTV.

United's Seven 'Finals'The Reds' remaining fixtures in the 2007/08 Barclays Premier League season are as follows:

29 Mar - Aston Villa - Old Trafford

6 Apr - Middlesbrough - Riverside
13 Apr - Arsenal - Old Trafford
19 Apr - Blackburn - Ewood Park
26 Apr - Chelsea - Stamford Bridge

3 May - West Ham - Old Trafford
11 May - Wigan Athletic - JJB Stadium
23/03/2008 15:43, Report by Adam Bostock

Carrick not complacent

Michael Carrick insists the Reds won't rest on the laurels of victory over Liverpool, even if Sunday's win has sealed United's status as strong title favourites.

The midfielder believes the fixture list still looks difficult, telling MUTV: "We’re playing well at the moment but we’ve still got a tough run-in and it’s not going to be easy.

"We’re not getting carried away by any means but we’re happy with our position. Three or four weeks ago we were a few points behind Arsenal and aware that we needed to get points on the board fairly quickly.

"We’ve managed to do that and obviously Arsenal have slipped up a little bit and opened the door for us."

When United opened the door against Liverpool, the identity of the first scorer caught Carrick by surprise.

"It was mad to see Wes (Brown) up there, I was a bit shocked it was him when the goal went in," he laughed.

"It means a lot to Wes to score against Liverpool, being a local lad, and his goal got us up and running. We played some good football after that."

For all the good football and goalscoring opportunities created, United had to
endure a long wait for the security of a second strike. As comfortable as the Reds seemed to be against the ten men of Liverpool, Michael admits a few doubts were starting to creep in as a rack of chances went begging.

"Cristiano had a great chance - just before he scored the second goal - and you think is it going to be one of those days?" confessed Carrick.

"Sometimes the longer it goes on the harder it becomes and Liverpool were just beginning to have a half-decent spell in the game, getting a few free-kicks and things.

"The game can be on a knife-edge until you get that crucial second goal. Once we got that we could relax and enjoy the game a bit more and then Nani’s goal capped things off for us."

Michael Carrick was talking to MUTV.
25/03/2008 09:38, Report by Ben Hibbs

Blues are title threat

Sir Alex Ferguson will take great comfort in United's five-point lead after a potentially decisive weekend in the title race, but he remains alert to the threat posed the Reds' now closest challeners Chelsea.

Avram Grant's men leapfrogged Arsenal with a 2-1 win over the Gunners on Sunday, hours after United defeated Liverpool 3-0 at Old Trafford.

The Reds go to Stamford Bridge on 26 April, which Sir Alex feels will be crucial. "I think Chelsea hold the key," he said, "especially as we go to their place where they've got a formidable record.

"We've established a good lead but we're not taking anything for granted, we have to carry on playing the way we have been. I've said all along, the team who shows real consistency between now and the end of the season will win the league."

The dominant performance against Liverpool has given the United boss plenty of confidence and belief going into the final seven league games of the season.

"We've developed this season and I think you saw that maturity reach its peak in our win over Liverpool," he said. "We've retained last season's consistency, we're challenging for the league and we're in the quarter-finals of Europe."

Title run-inUnited
Aston Villa (H)
Middlesbrough (A)
Arsenal (H)
Blackburn (A)
Chelsea (A)
West Ham (H)
Wigan (A)

Chelsea
Middlesbrough (H)
Manchester City (A)
Wigan (H)
Everton (A)
United (H)
Newcastle (A)
Bolton (H)

07/04/2008 08:15, Report by Ben Hibbs

Giggs: We're on countdown

Ryan Giggs believes United’s comeback against Middlesbrough may prove crucial as the Reds move into countdown mode for the final five games.

An April blizzard wasn’t the only surprise at the Riverside. Two goals from Afonso Alves put the home side in front after Cristiano Ronaldo had given the Reds the lead. It took Wayne Rooney’s late strike to haul United level and edge into a three-point lead over second-placed Chelsea.

“We hope it will be a crucial point,” Giggs told MUTV. “After going 2-1 down, it's probably a point gained. Some people before the game were saying the title was done and dusted. We’ve always said there are tough games coming up, for us and Arsenal and Chelsea.

There will be a few twists and turns yet. We’re on countdown now. There are five matches to go and we’ll be up for each one. We want to win every game and we’re capable of doing it. But we’ll have to be at our best.”

With Nemanja Vidic missing, John O’Shea took the Serbian’s place alongside Rio Ferdinand. But Middlesbrough’s all-out attack really tested the newly-formed central defensive partnership. Giggs gave full recognition to Afonso Alves, scorer of both Boro goals, and Jeremie Aliadiere.

“We had good players coming in," he said. "You have to give credit to Boro. They didn’t have anything to lose, so they went for it. Not many teams do that against us. They kept two up front and they were always dangerous on the break.

“We started well, with good movement, passing, and taking the lead through Cristiano’s goal. When Middlesbrough scored, it was a case of they attack, we attack. It was an open game. It could be a good point because it’s one of the toughest grounds to come to.”

06/04/2008 15:37, Report by James Tuck

Reds to assess Rio injury

Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping Rio Ferdinand has not suffered a serious injury after the United defender was forced off in the second half at Middlesbrough.
With Nemanja Vidic already on the sidelines and crunch games coming thick and fast, it was worrying to see Ferdinand limping off with 20 minutes left at the Riverside Stadium.
The United manager told MUTV after the game: ”We got a few bumps and bruises, but we'll assess things on Monday.
“Hopefully Rio's injury is not serious. He was limping for quite a while and the danger with carrying on with him was we weren't going to get a full performance level from him.”
Gerard Pique replaced Ferdinand and five minutes later Wayne Rooney salvaged a 2-2 draw which leaves United three points clear of Chelsea at the top with five games left.
Ferguson added: “Pique came on and did brilliantly. He was marvellous. The lad's a terrific player and I think that actually helped us.”
06/04/2008 12:36, Report by Gemma Thompson

Boss satisfied with point

Sir Alex Ferguson believes United's 2-2 draw on Teesside could turn out to be a valuable point in the Reds' quest to retain the league title.

Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring with his 37th goal of the season on nine minutes, but Afonso Alves drew the home side level 10 minutes before the break.

The Brazilian then put the hosts in front in the 56th minute, before Wayne Rooney fired a vital equaliser 16 minutes from time.

"We could have lost the game," admitted Sir Alex afterwards on MUTV. "They had some chances and our defending was a bit haphazard at times.

"But on the other side of it, we could have won the game. Some of our football was terrific and we looked very strong and in control when we took the lead.

"Wayne Rooney was wrongly flagged offside when he was clean through just after that and when they got their equaliser it became a great game of football.

"It was end-to-end and both teams deserve great credit for producing a performance like that at this stage of the season."

The result leaves the Reds three points clear at the top of the table with five games to go. Although disappointed not  to
have left the Riverside with a victory, Sir Alex remains upbeat over his side's chances.

"The nature of our football club is we never give in and that's a great quality to have at this time of year," he insisted.

"It could turn out to be an important point and our goal difference is very good as well. But we can't take anything granted.

"I said some weeks ago that the most consistent team will win it and hopefully it turns out to be us."
06/04/2008 16:27, Report by James Tuck

Resilience pleases Edwin

Edwin van der Sar was happy to come away from the Riverside Stadium with a point after United were given a stern test by Middlesbrough in torrid conditions.
The goalkeeper made a string of fine saves as Boro, roared on by a rare full house and inspired by Afonso Alves' double, threatened to cause an upset in a near-blizzard before Wayne Rooney’s late leveller.
Van der Sar told MUTV: “We knew it was a hard place to come. After we took the lead [through Cristiano Ronaldo] they changed their formation to 4-4-2 and created more problems for us. We didn’t have as much possession.
“We conceded a sloppy goal and then went behind, but we showed great resilience to come back into the game.”
The veteran Dutchman insists it was imperative United avoided defeat and maintained a three-point lead over Chelsea at the top of the table.
“A draw is not bad but losing was out of the question,” he said. “We want at least a three-point difference between us and them before we go to Stamford Bridge.
“The boss has already said it’s going to be very tight – it’s a three-horse race. Arsenal visit on Sunday, but Chelsea have a difficult run-in and it’s not certain that they’ll win all their games between now and the end of the season.”
Papers: Reds' injury crisis
07/04/2008 09:50

United Injury Crisis
Manchester United are facing a defensive crisis which could jeopardise their Premier League and Champions League hopes after Rio Ferdinand left Middlesbrough wearing a protective cast on his left foot. United are already without Nemanja Vidic for Wednesday's second leg of their Champions League quarter-final against Roma and now look to be without Ferdinand after the defender limped off with 20 minutes to go. Boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Hopefully it's not serious with Rio but he was limping for too long. The danger was to keep carrying on with him." Ferdinand will have a scan on his injured foot this morning but it seems certain the 29-year-old will miss the Roma game and is also a major doubt for the Premier League visit of Arsenal to Old Trafford next Sunday.
David Anderson, Daily Mirror
All the tabloids seize upon United's concession of two points at the Riverside Stadium, intimating that Chelsea and Arsenal have renewed hope in this season's Premier League title race.
The Times, meanwhile, focuses on the brief spat between Sir Alex Ferguson and Middlesbrough counterpart Gareth Southgate on Sunday. The former Boro defender insists he has "complete respect" for the United manager.
Round up by Steve Bartram
返回列表