返回列表 回復 發帖

29/02/2008 10:18, Report by Gemma Thompson

Bolton clash rearranged

United's Premier League clash with Bolton Wanderers at Old Trafford has been rescheduled to Wednesday 19 March, KO 20:00 GMT.

The game was originally planned for Sunday 9 March, but has subsequently been switched because of United's FA Cup quarter-final with Portsmouth which will take place on Saturday 8 March, KO 12:45 GMT.

The Bolton match will be postponed again should the Reds' last eight Cup clash against Pompey go to a replay.

Check out the full fixture list at manutd.com/fixtures.
01/03/2008 16:47, Report by Gemma Thompson

Boss hails Reds' professionalism

Sir Alex Ferguson praised his squad's professionalism after the Reds convincing 3-0 victory over Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Owen Hargreaves opened the scoring - and his United account - on 16 minutes with a beautiful curling free kick. Ji-sung Park bagged his first goal for nearly a year right on half-time, before a Simon Davies own goal wrapped up the points for United.

"I didn't think we were special, but it was a windy day and in these conditions you need to have good concentration and I think we did the job well and very professionally," Sir Alex told MUTV afterwards.

"I don't think Fulham posed a great threat to us inside in the area, but elsewhere on the pitch they played some good stuff and pressed us well. So that was a test for us.

"Ji-sung's goal killed them really. It was a good goal and I'm pleased for Ji because it's his first in nearly a year. It was also good to see Owen [Hargreaves] get off the mark. I've seen him take free kicks in training and he's very good as he proved today."

The United boss made five changes to the team that so emphatically brushed aside Newcastle last weekend. And the players that came in did their manager proud.

"You have to have faith in your squad and trust the players, and the team I picked today showed a great desire and worked very hard," explained Sir Alex.

"The pleasing thing for me was I was able to use my squad with Tuesday's game with Lyon in mind. It was vital for us to rest
Rooney and Ronaldo for that match."

United's win, coupled with Arsenal's draw at home to Aston Villa, means the Gunners' lead at the top of the table is down to one point. Chelsea's 4-0 victory at West Ham has ensured Avram Grant's men are still in with a shout and Sir Alex believes there will be a few more twists and turns before the season's finale.

"The title race has been like a see-saw of late," he said. "We were ahead, then Arsenal went five points clear, now the gap is back to one point.

"And, of course, we're both looking over our shoulders at Chelsea, who enjoyed an emphatic win at West Ham. So it looks as if it's going to be a fantastic run-in.

"The important for us is to keep our momentum going. The players are showing a great appetite to play and the team spirit is very good. Results like those in the last two games against Newcastle and Fulham will only help that."
01/03/2008 15:43, Report by Nick Coppack

Report: Fulham 0 United 3

United earned a valuable three points at Craven Cottage with a comfortable 3-0 win over Fulham, while Arsenal could only manage a draw across town at the Emirates Stadium.

A Simon Davies own goal rounded off the scoring after first-half goals from Owen Hargreaves and Ji-sung Park had put United in the driving seat.

Last season, Craven Cottage was the scene for late drama as Cristiano Ronaldo capped a stunning 88th-minute dribble with a shot to match. It gave the Reds a come-from-behind 2-1 victory and, among fans at least, belief that Sir Alex’s side had the necessary character to go on and win the league.

Today, victory was less dramatic and yet just as significant. With Arsenal stumbling at the Emirates, this weekend could well prove the difference come the end of the season.

Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s crucial Champions League match, Sir Alex opted to leave out Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Nemanja Vidic, although he did field former Fulham favourites Edwin van der Sar and Louis Saha.

Saha had a golden chance to put the Reds in front as early as the fifth minute, but sliced wide from 18 yards after Paul Scholes had found the Frenchman from inside United’s half.

Carlos Tevez then went close from distance on seven minutes, forcing Fulham stopper Antti Niemi into a smart save down by his left-hand post. Van der Sar, meanwhile, was called into action a minute later, flinging himself to his right to keep out Danny Murphy’s rasping, dipping volley.

The chance buoyed the home support but it was United who carved out the next chance, Paul Scholes’ shot requiring a brave block from Fulham centre-back Brede Hangeland to keep scores at 0-0.

Hangeland was involved a minute later, however, in the build-up to United’s opener, bringing down Carlos Tevez on the edge of the box. With regular free-kick taker Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench, up stepped Owen Hargreaves to curl home the set-piece in front of the Reds’ travelling fans.

It was the summer signing’s first goal for United and gave the Reds a valuable lead against a Fulham side who, until that point, were growing increasingly confident. Hargreaves’ strike, however, subdued the home team and Nani almost made it 2-0 in the 23rd minute when his long-range strike whistled past Niemi’s post.

The Reds did hit the target shortly afterwards, Paul Scholes’ header looking destined for the corner before Finnish stopper Niemi turned the ball around the post at full stretch.

United, by this stage, were coasting. Certainly, Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown had few worries at the heart of the Reds’ defence, while Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves were controlling the centre of the park.

Nani looked lively on the left wing, his quick feet causing Paul Stalteri all sorts of trouble whenever the Portuguese international reached the goal-line.

Despite United’s dominance, it was Fulham who had the best chance to score the game’s second. A Wes Brown foul near the right touchline
gave Jimmy Bullard a chance to swing over a free-kick, which found Danny Murphy unmarked at the back post. Luckily for the Reds, the former Liverpool midfielder powered his header straight at Edwin van der Sar, who saved comfortably on the line.

It was a sharp wake-up call for Sir Alex’s men and the Reds responded by carving out another chance at the other end. This time it was Patrice Evra providing the cross and although Scholes found himself unmarked in the middle, the Englishman’s first touch – usually so close and assured – let him down and the ball trickled into Niemi’s arms.

It was Scholes who laid on the Reds’ second, just two minutes before half-time. Carlos Tevez held the ball up well on the edge of the box before switching play to Nani on the other flank. Scholes, sensing an opportunity to get to the by-line, provided the overlap and Nani duly fed the Reds veteran, who crossed first-time for Ji-sung Park to head into the net via the underside of the bar.

Like Hargreaves', Park’s goal was his first of the season and came just before the interval to give United a deserved half-time lead.

Neither manager made changes at the break and although Fulham did put the ball in the net shortly after the restart, Brian McBride was correctly ruled offside in the build-up.

Craven Cottage soon found its voice but sit was United who looked most threatening. Nani, jeered by the home crowd for what they believed was a dive early in the second half, cut inside before testing Niemi from the edge of the box after Louis Saha’s effort was
blocked.

Moritz Volz saw a shot flash wide after taking a deflection off Patrice Evra but it was a sole Fulham spark in an otherwise quiet period for the home side before the hour-mark.

Down the other end, Paul Scholes almost unlocked the Fulham defence again with a sweet clipped ball with the outside of the foot, but Niemi reached the pass ahead of Saha to snuff out of the danger.

American Eddie Johnson then pulled a shot wide before Danny Murphy made way for Alexey Smertin on 65 minutes as Fulham sought to find a way back into the match.

Roy Hodgson won’t have been pleased, then, to see Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo introduced four minutes later.

Ronaldo almost had an instant impact, twisting and teasing Hangeland on the right wing before crossing for Park, whose knock down found Rooney on the edge of the box. The England striker swivelled but struggled to dig the ball out from beneath his feet.

United did find the net on 72 minutes when John O’Shea’s low cross was diverted into his own net by the hapless Simon Davies. It was cruel on Fulham but, in truth, no less than the Reds deserved on a bitingly cold London afternoon.

From then on, it was a case of safety first, although Ronaldo almost added a fourth in injury time to rub salt into the wound. Of course, three was enough and it was three cheers for United at the final whistle as Sir Alex’s men clawed back vital points in the race for the title.

United: Van der Sar; O’Shea, Ferdinand, Brown, Evra; Park, Scholes, Hargreaves, Nani (Anderson 75); Tevez (Ronaldo 69), Saha (Rooney 69)
Subs not used: Kuszczak, Pique

Fulham: Niemi; Stalteri, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Murphy (Smertin 65), Volz (Kamara 90), Johnson (Nevland 90), Bullard, Davies, McBride
Subs not used: Keller, Bocanegra
Attendance: 25,314

01/03/2008 17:50, Report by Gemma Thompson & Nick Coppack

Park thrilled to score

Ji-sung Park was delighted to find the back of the net in United’s 3-0 win over Fulham.

The South Korean international hadn’t scored for the Reds since 31 March 2007, in his last game before a knee injury kept him out of the side until Christmas last year.

At Craven Cottage, Park leapt high to head Paul Scholes’ cross in off the underside of the bar and send United into the break 2-0 up.

“I’m so happy to get the goal,” Park told MUTV. “I really needed it because scoring gives you great confidence. You never know if you’re going to play but today was beautiful!”

Sir Alex rested a number of regulars on Saturday, but United looked comfortable for the duration of the match. Meanwhile, across town at the Emirates, Arsenal needed a late goal to salvage a point against Aston Villa.

“We’ve played really well during the last two games and really shown our quality. It’s been good to see different players come in and do well. The strength of our squad is great and the new players we signed in the summer have adapted very well.”

Despite moving to within a point of the Gunners at the top of the table, Park was determined not to get too carried away.

“It’s good to have closed the gap on Arsenal but we don’t worry too much about what they’re doing. We need to focus on maintaining our good performances and hopefully we can win the title again.”
01/03/2008 16:52, Report by Nick Coppack

Gunners snatch late point

Arsenal scored a last-gasp equaliser to snatch a point against Aston Villa at the Emirates Stadium and retain their spot at the top of the Barclays Premier League table.

A Philippe Senderos own goal had earlier put Villa in front and it looked as though the visitors would head back to Birmingham with all three points. Indeed, the full time whistle had already blown at Craven Cottage – where United beat Fulham 3-0 – by the time Nicklas Bendtner slotted home to clinch a point.

There were also late goals at the Riverside Stadium and St James’ Park, as both visiting teams – Reading and Blackburn, respectively – scored winners in 1-0 victories.

Elsewhere, Chelsea steamrolled West Ham 4-0 thanks to two Cole goals (one Joe’s, the other Ashley’s), a Frank Lampard penalty and a Michael Ballack half-volley.

Derby County and Sunderland played out a 0-0 draw at Pride Park, while the shock of the day occurred at St Andrews, where Birmingham City thumped Tottenham Hotspur 4-1.

Wigan and Manchester City play at 5.15pm.

TeamPGDPTS1 Arsenal28+36652 Man Utd28+43643 Chelsea27+25584 Everton27+20505 Aston Villa28+15486 Liverpool26+2447
Results: Sat 1 MarchArsenal 1-1 Aston Villa
Birmingham 4-1 Tottenham
Derby 0-0 Sunderland
Fulham 0-3 Man Utd
Man City 0-0 Wigan
Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading
Newcastle 0-1 Blackburn
West Ham 0-4 Chelsea

01/03/2008 18:06, Report by Gemma Thompson

Sir Alex's selection dilemma

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he has a selection dilemma on his hands for Tuesday's Champions League clash with Lyon at Old Trafford.

The United boss opted to start Saturday's win at Fulham without Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Anderson, who were all on the bench.

Louis Saha, Owen Hargreaves and Ji-sung Park all came into the side with the latter two getting on the scoresheet.

Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick, who both impressed in midfield in the recent wins over Arsenal and Newcastle, were left out of the squad completely.

Ryan Giggs and Nemanja Vidic were absent through injury, but both should be fit for the last Reds' last 16 tie with the French champions.

"Picking the team for Tuesday is a real headache," admitted the United boss on MUTV. "I had one team in mind before the Fulham victory, but I changed my mind at half-time!"

"We've got to win against Lyon - it's a massive game for the club. All the players realise that."
03/03/2008 07:20, Report by Gemma Thompson

Edwin relishing rush of games

United are in for a hectic few months as they continue their quest for silverware on three fronts, but Edwin van der Sar says everyone relishes the rigours of the run-in.

Hot on the heels of the league victory at Fulham on Saturday, the Reds entertain Lyon in the Champions League on Tuesday, before hosting Portsmouth in the FA Cup quarter final at the weekend. And van der Sar is confident the squad will thrive on the challenges that lie ahead.

"Every game is big now, but that's how you like it as a player. You want to be competing for trophies," he told MUTV. "If you have three games every week, it shows you're doing something right."

The 3-0 victory at Craven Cottage took the Reds to within a point of league leaders Arsenal, who could only manage a draw at home to Aston Villa, courtesy of a last-gasp injury-time equaliser.

"Things keep changing," says van der Sar. "We were five points behind a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be difficult because you're relying on them dropping points. Thankfully for us they've drawn their last two games and we're right back in there."

The Dutchman's solid display against his former team ensured the Reds' 16th clean sheet in the league, equalling their total tally for last season.

"As a goalkeeper you take pride from clean sheets," he admits. "But the whole team deserve credit when we don't concede. I make the saves, but the defenders, midfielders and strikers all work hard. They all play their part too."

03/03/2008 07:33, Report by Gemma Thompson

Owen: Squad is finely balanced

Owen Hargreaves feels the victories over Newcastle and Fulham have demonstrated United's quality in-depth, which he believes could be a decisive factor in the title race.

For the trip to Craven Cottage, Sir Alex Ferguson made five changes from the side that thrashed Kevin Keegan's men, but there was no disruption to the team's flow as the Reds cantered to a 3-0 win.

"It was a good performance from everyone in the team after a great display at Newcastle last weekend," Hargreaves told MUTV. "A different team played that game so I think the balance of the squad is very good at the moment.

"We are all part of the jigsaw puzzle. Nobody is going to play in all the games at United. You trust the boss with all the experience he has. So far this season, as far as I'm concerned, he has picked the right team pretty much every time.

"I think all our players have something different to bring to the table. So, depending on how we want to play, we can perform in different formations.

"You only need to look at the win at Fulham - to have Rooney, Ronaldo and Anderson all coming on late from the bench is quite remarkable. And I think the depth and balance in our squad could make the difference in the end."

Hargreaves himself opened the scoring in the win over the Cottagers with a superbly executed free kick which marked his first goal for the club.

"Sometimes you feel good about a free-kick and other times you don't," he admits. "I decided to take it because I thought I'd have a chance to score and thankfully it went in."
03/03/2008 06:50

Crerand's quandary

Spare a thought for Sir Alex, his job must be awful at the moment. United’s squad is so good, in so many areas, that I’d find it impossible to leave players out. I’m glad it’s his job and not mine!

Going into Tuesday's crucial clash against Lyon, Sir Alex once again has some tough decisions to make regarding his team selection.

Getting players to understand it is key. And the fact that they never complain shows the confidence and respect they have for the manager. No player complains in the press, and the fans aren’t disgruntled. Look at Liverpool, everyone goes on about their squad rotation. But I don’t think Rafael Benitez has got a strong enough squad to rotate. United have, and ultimately that’s why it works.

No player should look at it as being dropped. It’s for the benefit of the team in the long run. There are a number of advantages to it. Firstly, of course, everyone stays fresh and sharp. Secondly, it can puzzle your opponents. They don’t know who they are going to be facing, and in what formation.

Different players bring different qualities to the team. As a television pundit everyone thinks I must know the team. But until I actually see the team-sheet, there’s not a chance I
can tell what the team is. That has to have an affect on opposition managers and players, too.

There are so many games to be played and so many competitions to try and win, that you need to have a squad of players. United have got that at the moment. Look at Michael Carrick, his form has been outstanding. But he’s still not a regular. When someone is in that form, you’d think they would be in the team every week.

It shows you the quality of players United have. It sets a very high standard for everybody. If you’re playing you only need take one look at the bench and think to yourself, ‘My God, I’ve got to play well to stay in this team’.

Sir Alex rested Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo at the weekend, so you would hope to see the benefits of squad rotation against Lyon. We couldn’t have done better than getting the away goal, considering we went 1-0 down.

It's far from done and dusted, but the tie is set up well for United and it’s a competition everyone at the club wants to do well. We could be in for another great European night at Old Trafford. As for the team selection, though, your guess is as good as mine.

03/03/2008 07:22, Report by Ben Hibbs

Juninho: Don't rule us out

Brazilian playmaker Juninho has warned United: "do not rule us out" of the Champions League last 16 tie, despite the Reds snatching a crucial late goal in the first leg.

The French champions are in Manchester on Tuesday with the tie tipped slightly in United's favour after Carlos Tevez's goal earned a 1-1 draw in Lyon two weeks ago.

Lyon appeared headed for victory after Karim Benzema's excellent opening strike just before the hour mark. But Juninho says the Reds would be ill-advised to think the second leg is cut and dry.

"We were disappointed not to win after taking the lead," he tells United Review. "But we knew that, along with Inter Milan, Manchester United were the best team in Europe and have many players who can do you damage.

"Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez – what an attacking line-up! Against a team like United, you have to play perfectly. We nearly did it – but not quite. But the Lyon squad is still calm. The pressure is on United to progress to the quarter finals."

Lyon have been used to battling against the odds in this season's Champions League. After a terrible start to their group campaign, they pulled out all the stops to progress to the knockout stages, a lesson Juninho says could serve them well at Old Trafford.

"We are still in this tie," he says defiantly. "Do not rule us out yet. You need technique and strong characters to win silverware and we have those. We have proved a number of times our capacity to achieve in big matches at stadiums in Glasgow, Stuttgart and Paris."

Read more from Juninho and United's Patrice Evra in United Review.

04/03/2008 06:50, Report by Gemma Thompson

Evra banks on OT fear factor

Patrice Evra hopes United can make home advantage count against Lyon on Tuesday evening and send the French champions running scared.

The Reds hold a slender, yet crucial, advantage in their Champions League last 16 tie thanks to Carlos Tevez's late leveller at the Stade Gerland two weeks ago.

Evra admits the tie is far from over, but believes the 'Old Trafford effect' will see the Reds through to the last eight.

"When I play at Old Trafford I feel I have more power, more energy in my legs, more character," he told United Review.

"It's strange, but teams can be scared when they come to here. We shouldn't underestimate the effect it can have.

"It's a big stadium, the pitch is wide, and we play with pace. Teams don't like that. It can be hard for them to cope.

"It's called the Theatre of Dreams - but that's only for United, not for any other team!"

Read more from Patrice Evra in United Review.
04/03/2008 06:54, Report by Gemma Thompson

Cantona backs Euro charge

Eric Cantona is backing the Reds to overcome Lyon at Old Trafford on Tuesday night and go all the way in this season's Champions League.

United hold the upper hand in the last 16 tie thanks to Carlos Tevez's late leveller in the 1-1 draw at the Stade Gerland.

Having fallen at the semi-final hurdle last season, the Reds are determined to go one better and emulate their previous two triumphs this time round. And Cantona believes Sir Alex can inspire his troops to glory.

"I really hope United will win it this season. And, if they do, I hope they will win another one next year," declared the former striker in an interview with Sky Sports. "I'm sure Sir Alex will find the words to help the team win it. That is the key.

"He has to find goals all the time. If he wins it this year, then he will find another goal for next year. It's why he's still at Old Trafford after 21 years. He always finds something more after winning something - that's why he is the greatest."

Cantona, who retired from the game in 1997, maintains that his four-and-a-half years with the Reds remain a hugely memorable period of his life and an experience he'll always treasure.

"I will never forget anything about my time there and the way the fans treated me, and until the last minute of my life I will have this club in my heart," he insisted.

03/03/2008 15:00, Report by Adam Bostock

Sir Alex lauds timely Tevez

Cometh the hour, cometh Carlos Tevez... so goes the story of the Argentine striker's first season at United.

The Reds' number 32 has demonstrated a talent for scoring goals at decisive times, as appreciated by his manager Sir Alex Ferguson on the eve of Lyon's visit to Old Trafford.

"I think he's proved that this season," said Sir Alex. "That one in Lyon (1-1) was obviously really important to us, as were his goals at Liverpool (1-0), Tottenham (1-1) and at home to Chelsea right on half-time when we were searching for that first goal (United won 2-0).

"He's proving to be an important player for us, no question. He's now on 15 goals. I think that's a great return in his first season with us so we're delighted with him."

Tevez's 87th minute goal at Lyon's Stade Gerland was his third in the Champions League for United, giving him the same tally in this European campaign as Wayne Rooney. Cristiano Ronaldo leads the way with five.

Tevez's two other goals in the competition were both scored at Old Trafford - he scored the second in the 4-0 drubbing of Dynamo Kyiv and netted United's second-half equaliser against Sporting Lisbon after coming on as substitute in the eventual 2-1 win.
03/03/2008 15:23, Report by Adam Bostock

Rio: Not all Euro champs are great

Rio Ferdinand says winning the European Cup would be the "stuff of dreams" but insists it isn't the only criteria when determining a team's greatness.

The Reds defender said: "I think teams who are considered great teams have normally won the European Cup but I don't think it's the be all and end all. Some teams that have won the Champions League are not considered great teams, but if you do well domestically and then go on to win it, then obviously that adds to your being a good side.

"Before I came to this club, I watched many a time when I expected United to win the Champions League but they didn't, and the same thing's happened a couple of times while I've been here. Last season, for example, we had a great opportunity to go on and at least be part of the final but for whatever reason that didn't happen again.

"We'd like to change that. This club has a great history domestically and in Europe but obviously we'd like to be a bit more fruitful in this competition because we've got talent, we've got the numbers at the moment and we've got the desire to do well in it this year.

"When you are a United player you have to want to win every competition you play in or you shouldn't be here. Not many people have the opportunity to win the European Cup, or even play in the final, and we dream like everybody else."

Ferdinand could captain the Reds against Lyon. Club skipper Gary Neville resumed playing for the reserves only last week and Ryan Giggs has missed United's last two matches.
Papers: Barca eye Ronaldo
04/03/2008 07:22

Barca join race for Ron
Barcelona last night dramatically joined the race to sign £40m-rated Cristiano Ronaldo. The Spanish club are scared their arch-rivals Real Madrid could have stolen a march in trying to lure the brilliant midfielder from Manchester United. The Nou Camp plan to sell off some of their fading stars, like Deco, Ronaldinho and former Chelsea striker Eidur Gudiohnsen to finance new deals. But Barca’s influential sport director Txiki Begiristain revealed his club’s serious interest in Ronaldo. He said on Spanish TV programme Gol a Gol at the weekend: “Cristiano Ronaldo is a player we think we can sign in the summer. Cristiano Ronaldo is a key player for any club, but I still think it will be complicated to persuade Manchester United to sell in the summer.”
Danny Fullbrook & Bill Thornton, Daily Star

There's a further link with Barcelona in The Times which claims Martin Ferguson, Sir Alex's brother, was in the city on Saturday to watch local rivals Espanyol. The newspaper claims he was watching goalkeeper Carlos Kameni during the 2-0 win over Valencia. The 24 year-old Cameroonian was voted Africa's best keeper in 2006/07.

Elsewhere, much of the papers’ coverage is gleaned from Monday’s Champions League press conference. Sir Alex’s assertion that Carlos Tevez scores vital goals, just like Eric Cantona, has been widely reported. The Mirror claim: “On the surface, comparing Cantona and Tevez might seem a bit ludicrous… but in terms of their influence on the pitch and their ability to change games by sheer force of will, not to mention with vital goals when all hope seems lost, Cantona and Tevez are undeniably similar.”

Meanwhile the Daily Mail spun Rio Ferdinand’s belief that “some sides who have won the Champions League are not considered great teams” as a jibe at rivals Liverpool.
Round up by Nick Coppack
返回列表