返回列表 回復 發帖
07/03/2008 08:31, Report by Steve Bartram

Fletch on triple crusade

With a Champions League quarter-final berth booked, and Arsenal’s Premier League lead down to one point, United turn to the FA Cup in high spirits.

Portsmouth visit Old Trafford on Saturday in the quarter finals, and Fletcher, full of confidence after his excellent recent displays, admits United want to prolong their participation in all three competitions.

“People ask which trophy we want, but we want them all,” he told Red View. “Our goal is to win all three and we’re not picking one out as more important.

"We have to win every match, and with our squad it's a reality that we can win all three. I’m not saying it's going to happen, it's clearly tough to do. But we’ve definitely got the squad to rotate and challenge on all fronts.”

Fletcher has shown himself to be the man for the big occasion with his displays against Arsenal and Lyon, and hopes there are plenty more huge matches to come.

“This is the nitty-gritty stage of the season where you want to be involved in big games,” he said. “We’ve still got Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in the league, and hopefully more big cup games to come. Each game is massive, and now is the time that makes or breaks your season.”

07/03/2008 12:38, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds consider Foster loan option

United are considering a number of enquiries from Championship clubs to take Ben Foster on loan until the end of the season.

The 24-year-old goalkeeper returned from a serious knee injury for United’s reserves on Thursday this week, coming through the entire 90 minutes. Having suffered no adverse reaction, Sir Alex Ferguson is eager to challenge Foster with regular first-team football. And it appears there is no shortage of offers.

“I was hoping he would come through the Reserve match last night because there is a consideration for us to put him out on loan with a Championship club until the end of the season,” confirmed Sir Alex.

“I’ll have a chat with him early next week, but we’ve already had a few enquiries for him from the Championship and I think it would be good for him. We will consider all these options at the beginning of next week.”

Foster is certainly highly-rated, both at United and for England, and news of his return has raises the prospect of the former Stoke City shot-stopper challenging for the number one spot with both club and country.

“He came through the game without any problems,” added Sir Alex. “We are very pleased because he is a fantastic prospect. Everyone recognises that he is potentially the top goalkeeper England have available. I think he is above them all.

“It would have been yet another selection dilemma for me if Ben had been available this season. The experience and performances of Edwin van der Sar, and even Tomasz Kuszczak. Next season I will have that dilemma about who my number one choice will be. But challenging and competition is a good thing, and I look forward to that.”

07/03/2008 12:06, Report by Gemma Thompson & Ben Hibbs

Veteran duo back for Cup clash

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are both likely starters for United's FA Cup quarter-final clash with Portsmouth on Saturday lunchtime.

Despite a sublime display in the Reds' win at Fulham last weekend, Scholes found himself on the bench for the Champions League victory over Lyon. Sir Alex admitted it was a tough decision to leave out the midfielder and insisted he will be back in action for the Cup clash.

Giggs is fit again after a calf injury ruled him out of United's last two matches and looks set to return to the starting eleven against Pomey.

Meanwhile, Gary Neville and Mikael Silvestre are both continuing to make good progress with their recovery from long term ankle and knee injuries respectively.
07/03/2008 12:15, Report by Steve Bartram

Rooney bags double

Wayne Rooney has won ManUtd.com's Player and Goal of the Month awards for February.

The 22-year-old striker scored three goals and turned in outstanding performances against Arsenal, Newcastle and Lyon, and his displays saw him narrowly pip Brazilian midfielder Anderson to the award.

Just two percent of over 64,000 votes separated the pair, while Portuguese winger Nani registered a third place finish after his own fine form during the course of the month.

The winger's fine goal against Arsenal barely registered in February's Goal of the Month poll, however, as Rooney made it a personal double.

His superb curling effort against Newcastle secured his second award of the month by some distance, finishing comfortably ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo's first strike in the same game, and Michael Carrick's late consolation against Manchester City.

Keep checking www.manutd.com/polls to have your say on all the latest burning issues.

February poll resultsPlayer of the Month

1st: Rooney (22,888 votes - 35%)
2nd: Anderson (21,530 votes - 33%)
3rd: Nani (14,944 votes - 23%)

Goal of the Month

1st: Wayne Rooney 2nd v Newcastle United (5,932 votes - 52%)
2nd: Cristiano Ronaldo 1st v Newcastle United (3,849 votes - 34%)
3rd: Michael Carrick v Manchester City (644 votes - 6%)

[ 本帖最後由 wlt1110 於 2008-3-7 09:42 PM 編輯 ]

07/03/2008 08:03, Report by Nick Coppack

Evra: It's crunch time

As United prepare for Saturday’s FA Cup clash with Portsmouth, Patrice Evra admits he’s more than a little excited about what lies ahead over the coming months.

The prize for victory over Harry Redknapp’s side is a trip to Wembley (both this season’s FA Cup semi finals will be played at the ground), while United also wait anxiously for next Friday’s Champions League quarter (and semi) final draw.

Of course, there’s also the matter of the Barclays Premier League, where results last weekend saw the Reds close the gap at the top of the table to just one point and, perhaps, gain a valuable psychological advantage over Arsenal.

“This is the life!” Patrice Evra told Manchester United Radio. “This is why I joined Manchester United. Every game is important; every game feels like a final.

“When you play for United the aim is simple: you need to win. Anything else is considered a failure.”

Evra’s been anything but a let-down since his arrival from AS Monaco in 2006. A speedy, skilful left back, the French international has worked hard to cement a spot in Sir Alex’s first-choice XI.

“I felt I played well last season, so people expected even more of me this time around,” he reveals. “If I don’t do well in this campaign then people could dismiss last year as an accident.

“But I’m happy with my form and I’m very hungry to continue to play well and win trophies. I want to win the league even more than last season because it’s so much harder to do it twice.”

He won’t make any predictions about the silverware that could find its way into the Reds’ trophy cabinet
come May, but Evra feels United are well equipped to challenge on all three fronts.

“It’s a very exciting time to be at Manchester United and I believe the squad is even stronger than last season’s. That doesn’t mean we’ll win all three trophies, but a stronger squad will certainly help. Just look at the quality that joined in the summer: Anderson, Hargreaves, Nani, Tevez.”

Evra, meanwhile, has developed into something of a cult hero on the terraces, no thanks to an interview earlier this season where he revealed he thanked God every day for the opportunity to play at Old Trafford.

Six months down the track, he still stands by those words.

“Of course,” he says. “It’s unbelievable at United. I wake up, I have the good life, I’m playing at the biggest club in the world.

“Some people get out of bed at 5am and then go to work to do something they don’t enjoy; I get paid to play football. What can I do except thank God?”

07/03/2008 08:06, Report by James Tuck

Park poised for Pompey

Ji-sung Park believes United will take heart from their dominant display against Portsmouth in January as they prepare for Saturday’s FA Cup quarter-final.
Pompey’s away form has been good this season but they were completely outplayed in a 2-0 league defeat by the Reds at Old Trafford five weeks ago.
Park told ManUtd.kr: “It will be a tough game on Saturday, even though we are at home. But it helps that we have already beaten Portsmouth once at home this season – and we played very well that day.”
Despite scoring his first goal in nearly a year against Fulham last Saturday, Park found himself on the bench for the midweek Champions League win over Lyon.
But with games coming thick and fast at the moment, the Korean accepts squad rotation is inevitable, especially when Sir Alex Ferguson has such a strong midfield at his disposal.
“We have a good squad which gives us a lot of options,” Park continued. “I know there will be more opportunities for me to play because we have plenty of games left this season.”
The energetic winger is happy to be contributing to United’s trophy quest after missing the first half of the campaign – and the back-end of last season – though injury.
“I’ve been back two months and I just want to enjoy playing football and help the team win trophies,” he said. “I needed a goal and now I have one, hopefully I will score a few more.”

07/03/2008 07:16, Report by Gemma Thompson

Distin's positive thinking

Sylvain Distin insists Portsmouth will not be coming to Old Trafford to simply make up the numbers in Saturday's FA Cup quarter-final - they're coming to win.

Pompey have not won on United's home patch since October 1957 and they were soundly beaten in the corresponding league clash back in January.

Nevertheless, Distin insists it's vital Harry Redknapp's men adopt a positive approach if they're to have any chance of making it through to the last four.

"If you go there to avoid defeat, mentally you are not ready," he told Portsmouth's official website.

"Every year in the FA Cup or Carling Cup there's a result everyone calls a miracle, but it's not.

"It's just a case of a side considered the underdogs thinking, 'we're going to win', and then fighting from the first second."

08/03/2008 16:12, Report by B Hibbs and A Bostock

Ronaldo: Refs don't protect us

Cristiano Ronaldo feels he is not given enough protection from referees and fears suffering a serious injury.

The winger was denied a clear penalty against Portsmouth in the FA Cup quarter final defeat at Old Trafford. That incident, coupled with persistent fouling throughout the game, highlights an oft-felt view that the Portuguese is not protected by referees.

"It's very frustrating, the referee was unbelievable," he told MUTV. "He didn't want to give the penalty, he didn't want to give yellow cards - I'm very disappointed.

"Refs don't protect skilful players. I think about the Arsenal player (Eduardo) and I'm scared sometimes to do skills because some players do unbelievable fouls and the ref protects the defender, not the skilled player! It's very disappointing and I'm thinking a lot about changing my game. When referees don't give penalties, yellow cards or reds, it's difficult to play."

Sir Alex Ferguson was left aghast that referee Martin Atkinson did not award a penalty for Sylvain Distin's clear bodycheck on Ronaldo in the seventh minute. Ronaldo added: "He (Distin) didn't try to take the ball. It's a joke."

But it wasn't just refereeing decisions that disappointed the 22-year-old. "We lost today and everyone is disappointed because we were the best team," he said. "We created ten chances while Portsmouth created just one. It's frustrating to lose like that.

"We controlled the game, but we didn't score. Carrick had one cleared off the line, Patrice hit the post... we had a great chance to win the FA Cup but we need to think now about the Premier League and the Champions League. These are the priorities."

08/03/2008 15:45, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex furious with ref decisions

Sir Alex Ferguson says the system for assessing referees needs to be overhauled after United were denied a penalty against Portsmouth.

Cristiano Ronaldo was fouled by Sylvain Distin in the penalty area in the seventh minute, but referee Martin Atkinson waved play on.

Sir Alex told MUTV: “It’s absolutely ridiculous. I just cannot explain that decision. Managers get sacked on the basis of things like that. And he’s going to referee a game next week? It’s ridiculous.”

Atkinson later sent off United's substitute goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak when arguably he shouldn’t have, because Anderson and Wayne Rooney were covering when the Pole felled Portsmouth striker Milan Baros. Pompey's Sulley Muntari scored the resulting penalty past emergency keeper Rio Ferdinand to knock the Reds out of the cup.

“We’re out and you could look at a lot of things,” Sir Alex added. “We missed a lot of chances for one, but the refereeing performance… Keith Hackett (of Match Officials Board) has got a lot to answer for. He’s not doing his job properly.

“He should be assessed like everyone else. Martin Atkinson will referee next week, no problem. But his performance today should not be accepted in our game. I agree with Sepp Blatter, the standards here as opposed to the Continent is behind Europe. It’s a big problem.”

Video: Watch Sir Alex's post-match interview now on MUmobile and MUTV Online.
08/03/2008 11:46, Report by Ben Hibbs

Report: United 0 Portsmouth 1

United's treble dreams came to an end against Portsmouth at Old Trafford on Saturday. But how this FA Cup quarter final tie ended in anything other than a Reds victory is a mystery. Call it fate, luck (or lack of it), this simply wasn’t United’s day.

Pompey snatched victory with a 78th-minute penalty, resulting in a red card for Tomasz Kuszczak and Rio Ferdinand pulling on the goalkeeper jersey. But it was so ridiculously against the run of play that it very nearly constituted daylight robbery.

The Reds can feel a deep sense of frustration. And injustice, too. Cristiano Ronaldo was denied a clear penalty after seven minutes, one of many refereeing decisions that Sir Alex Ferguson has every right to feel aggrieved with.

The United boss made three changes to the team that beat Lyon in midweek, calling on Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves and Carlos Tevez – not at all bad replacements. The only downside was Louis Saha’s late withdrawal from the bench with an injury, Ji-sung Park taking his place. No matter which team Sir Alex selects, it bears the usual United hallmarks, and the Reds began with clear intent: this competition is more than a passing interest.

After just seven minutes United should have been in front. Rooney’s glorious cross-field pass found Ronaldo, whose first-time touch took him clear of Niko Kranjcar. Darting into the box he shifted the ball away from Sylvain Distin, who clattered into him. Clear bodycheck. Clear penalty. Referee Martin Atkinson saw it differently. The sense of injustice was keenly felt around the ground. And when Papa Bouba Diop tugged the
Portuguese shirt, it was a deserved booking. It was scant consolation.

Portsmouth, with Nwankwo Kanu as a lone striker, clearly saw their midfield as key to stifling United and penetrating the Reds' defence. Edwin van der Sar was given his first taste of action on 15 minutes, when Kranjcar tested him with a swerving effort from 25 yards.

Harry Redknapp’s men would have been 1-0 down inside 20 minutes, but for some brave defending from Glen Johnson. Tevez broke clear down the right and put Rooney one-on-one with James, but the Reds striker was not quick enough getting his shot off, and James saved. Tevez latched onto the loose ball and shot goalwards, but Johnson headed the ball off the line.

Shortly after, United had a second penalty appeal turned down when John Utaka bundled into Nani inside the area, though it was far less clear-cut than Ronaldo’s earlier incident. United had plenty of attacking opportunities in the first half, most frequently on the counter. But the final pass, or decision whether or not to shoot wasn’t quite right. United’s crossing also wasn't as sharp as it needed to be against the towering figures of Distin, Sol Campbell and Hermann Hreidarsson.

Kuszczak replaced van der Sar at half-time, but very little changed in the game's pattern; Portsmouth continuing to stifle, the referee making pedantic and often bizarre decisions, and United’s finishing touch still elusive. United's first chance of the second half fell to Nani, after good work from Tevez and Rooney - his powerful shot warming James' gloves. Then on 58 minutes the Reds went even closer. An almighty scramble in the box following Nani’s corner saw Vidic, Tevez and Scholes all fail to force the ball over the line, before Ronaldo fired wide on the edge of the area.

The chances kept coming. Ronaldo fired wide after a delightful one-two with Rooney, then headed over from his compatriot Nani’s cross. The problem seemed to be that United couldn’t get in behind Portsmouth’s solid defence. Sir Alex responded, bringing Anderson and Michael Carrick on to replace Tevez and Hargreaves respectively. United switched to 4-3-3 with Ronaldo, Rooney and Nani in attack.

Still the frustration told. Ronaldo’s backheel on the edge of the area put Carrick through. He rounded the keeper, but couldn’t get enough on his shot to beat Distin, who cleared the ball off the line. Shortly after, James denied Evra, the Pompey keeper’s fingertip save pushing the Frenchman’s volley onto the post. Then Campbell cleared brilliantly from Nani’s cross. It was unbelievable stuff. The words on everyone’s lips: It's not our day.

That proved to be the case as Portsmouth struck a killer blow. With 12 minutes remaining Pompey hit on the counter, ending with Baros being brought down by Kuszczak. The Pole's red card seemed harsh considering that Anderson and Rooney had both got back to cover. Cue discussions over who should go in goal. Rooney immediately claimed responsibility, but his attacking powers are too precious to lose when chasing a game. So Rio took responsibility - with shades of John O’Shea against Tottenham last year - and although he guessed the right way, Sulley Muntari slotted his penalty home.

The sheer improbability of United trailing having created chance after chance and the sense of injustice at some of the appalling refereeing decisions spurred the crowd into a frenzy. Would it be enough?

Ronaldo went close with a dipping free-kick late on, but there was to be no repeat of his wonder-goal against Pompey in January. It’s no consolation, but United simply did not deserve to lose this tie. Portsmouth, who in fairness worked tirelessly, defended valiantly and took their chance when it came, go through to the semi finals. But even they must concede this was the unlikeliest of victories.

The one hope is that the frustration and disappointment of this defeat does not affect United’s pursuit of success in the league and in Europe. On the flipside, however, it may even enhance them.

Team Line-ups

Manchester United
: Van der Sar (Kuszczak 46); Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Hargreaves (Carrick 69), Scholes, Nani; Tevez (Anderson 68), Rooney.
Subs not used: O’Shea, Park (replaced Saha).
Booked: Rooney
Sent off: Kuszczak

Portsmouth: James; Johnson, Campbell, Distin (Lauren 74), Hreidarsson; Utaka, Muntari, Diarra, Diop, Kranjcar (Hughes 80); Kanu (Baros 54).
Subs not used: Ashdown, Mvuemba.
Booked: Diop, Diarra

Attendance: 75,463

08/03/2008 06:30, Report by Ben Hibbs

Q&A: Sir Alex Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson's weekly press conference on Friday was dominated by talk of retirement. But what emerged from the probing questions about his future was a glimpse of a blueprint for the future and the legacy he hopes to leave behind.

It was an interesting exchange, with the press gathered to extrapolate whether Sir Alex has a retirement date in mind. Instead, they found a manager intent not only on success in his final years at the club, but laying solid foundations for the future.

So, according to reports, we've got you for the next three years?
I’m not putting a time limit on it, it’s impossible to do. What I've said for a while is that if I feel fit and healthy and enjoying your job, then who knows? Two, three, maybe four years, it’s difficult to pigeonhole myself on that one.

What are the factors in making your decision?
The only thing that can change is your health and the success of the team. There are two factors related to my job, performance and health. At 66, you have to make it a consideration. We have made good decisions in the last few years for the future of the club and the team. The youth policy is strong, and I think the youth at the club will be here for a few
years. There's a good balance and strong prospects for Manchester United.

How hard will it be to leave if the team is really successful?
Well, that’s the perfect time, because you know then that you’ve done your job. When I make the decision I'll be satisfied that the club is in good hands.

You’ve almost served the club as long as Matt Busby, is that a target?
No, not at all. It’s down to me and the way I feel myself. It’ll be my decision.

Has anything changed in your daily schedule from, say, ten years ago?
No. The only thing that has altered is that, during international breaks, I take more time off. That’s why I hope there are more internationals next season! I enjoy getting a few days’ break during those international breaks.

What is there left to achieve?
The thing to strive for is maintaining the standards and levels of success. You have to fill the ground, that’s important. I think that’s Manchester United, and it’s always going to have those expectations. It’s not a matter of adding anything more to what I've done, it’s maintaining the level we've been at. The past won’t matter at that point, it’s the future. Today is the day.

08/03/2008 15:46, Report by Adam Bostock

Fans rant after Cup exit

Feelings were understandably running high on the Talking Reds message board in the immediate aftermath of United's FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth...

Lolu Ayo-Odugbesan
"That was the most atrocious refereeing I have seen this season. But although the ref is responsible for 80% of the blame, the players should also take some blame. The decision making today was poor - trying to dribble around the keeper when you should shoot, passing the ball inside the box when you are open with only the keeper to beat..."
Miki Paunkoski
"I stayed up until around 2am in Melbourne, Australia to watch this and the ref blew it. I wasted my night when I could have been sleeping.
Paul101
"If we can't beat teams like Pompey at home in the FA Cup then what chance have we in Europe? Talk of winning the treble this year was just wishful thinking."
Fordymusic
"We were unlucky. These things happen. I hope the team use this result as a kick up the backside and go on a typical winning run now."
TowNClowN
"Granted we were unlucky not getting the penalty and fluffing numerous chances. But the height of Pompey's well-organised defence highlighted our need for a tall striker."

Opinions on the message board do not necessarily reflect Manchester United's views.

08/03/2008 16:03, Report by Ben Hibbs

Cup exit will affect season

Amid the frustration of United’s controversial FA Cup quarter final exit to Portsmouth, Sir Alex Ferguson hopes a steely resolve and determination to clinch silverware in the league and in Europe will emerge.

A host of missed chances at Old Trafford ultimately led to the Reds’ downfall, although poor refereeing decisions held United back in a game that appeared set for nothing other than a home win.

The concern is that the defeat, and the circumstances that surrounded it, could affect the rest of United’s season. Conversely, Sir Alex hopes that is the case.

“It has to have an impact,” he said. “The impact is that we’re going to do something about it. “There is a determination and energy from our team that will show itself now.”

United have the Premier League to fight for and a Champions League quarter final to come, and Sir Alex’s hope is that this defeat will galvanise his squad for the rest of the season.

The Reds boss will be keen to discover just how serious Edwin van der Sar's groin injury is. With Tomasz Kuszczak picking up an automatic three-match ban for his sending off, Ben Foster may be called upon for the game against Derby next weekend.

Louis Saha, meanwhile, had been pencilled in to start against Portsmouth but was withdrawn with a knee injury.

10/03/2008 12:10

Queiroz apologises

Carlos Queiroz has issued an apology for comments he made about a Birmingham City player following United's FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth.

The Reds' assistant manager was voicing his concern about referees not protecting skilful players when he referred to Martin Taylor, the Birmingham defender sent off for a foul on Arsenal striker Eduardo in a much-publicised incident last month.

Queiroz has since reviewed his remarks. He told ManUtd.com today:

"I am deeply sorry if my comments, made when emotions were running high after the Portsmouth game, were misconstrued.

"Everyone at Manchester United knows that Martin Taylor is not that type of player.

"All I sought to say was that in the modern game, because of its speed, we need to have more vigilance on mistimed tackles.

"I apologise for any upset my remarks may have caused.”
10/03/2008 11:45, Report by Adam Bostock

Reds wait on Edwin

United may have to give Ben Foster his competitive debut against Derby in the wake of Edwin van der Sar's groin injury and Tomasz Kuszczak's automatic suspension.

If van der Sar isn't fit for Saturday, then Foster's return to action for the reserves last week could prove to be perfectly timed.

Assistant manager Carlos Queiroz said van der Sar sustained his injury early in the match against Portsmouth.

"He started to feel it after a couple of minutes when he was striking the ball," reported Queiroz.

"At half-time we decided there was no chance he could keep going."

Van der Sar's deputy Tomasz Kusczak came on at half-time for his 13th appearance of the season - unlucky for him as he was later sent off in the match's decisive moment.

"We accept the penalty against us," said Queiroz, after Kuszczak conceded a decisive spot-kick.

"It was a one-on-one situation and unfortunately Tomasz touched the player (Milan Baros)."

ManUtd.com will bring you news of van der Sar's injury as soon as it's confirmed from Carrington.
返回列表