返回列表 回復 發帖

28/09/2007 13:48, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex eyes loan transfers

Sir Alex Ferguson says a number of United’s young players may have to go out on loan to get the challenges they need to progress their careers after the Reds bowed out of the Carling Cup on Wednesday.

The 2-0 defeat to Coventry at Old Trafford left the Reds boss “shocked” and “flabbergasted” after his young side – with an average age of 21 – never really got going against Iain Dowie’s committed side.

The competition had been viewed as an opportunity to give the likes of Gerard Pique, Danny Simpson, Jonny Evans, Chris Eagles, Lee Martin and Dong Fangzhuo the chance to show what they can do.

With that avenue now cut off, there could be loan moves for a number of that group, although Pique and Simpson may be held back as defensive cover.

"It was a shock to us,” said the boss at his Friday press conference. “But the one thing that perhaps mitigated it was the fact that they've not had enough football as a team.

"We looked at the League Cup as an opportunity for these players to play,” he added. "Now that's gone I think we'll have to review the situation with one or two of them going on loan, because they do need football.

"With (Gary) Neville and (Owen) Hargreaves coming back we've got a good strong squad. There'll have to be some that we have to keep. Pique was excellent on Wednesday. He was our best player along with Anderson. We'll probably keep Simpson as he can play both full-back positions. But I'm maybe looking at the rest going on loan as they need to play football.”
28/09/2007 14:09, Report by Steve Bartram

Gray elated by return

Reserves defender David Gray was delighted to post his first action in eight months, after his comeback against Bolton.
The young Scot completed 90 minutes in his first appearance since damaging cruciate knee ligaments early this year, and was predictably delighted to emerge unscathed.
"To finally get a game is such a great feeling," he told MUTV. "It's been eight months now and it's just such a relief after all the hard work you do in the gym.
"I did my cruciate and 20 years ago you might not have come back from that, so obviously I'm delighted to be able to get back and I feel as strong as I ever was.
"I've been training for a month now, I went over to Malaysia to train with that squad and you're itching to play all the time. When you finally get a chance, it's great."
Gray was predictably drained after such a lengthy injury layoff, but he is patient in his ongoing quest to rediscover full match fitness.
"Match sharpness is obviously different to being fit," he conceded. "I feel fit and I'm physically much stronger, but match fitness I'll have to pick up as I play."

01/10/2007 14:01, Report by Ben Hibbs

Rooney ready for Roma revenge

Wayne Rooney knows precisely how determined AS Roma will be to exact revenge for United’s 7-1 victory in April – because he has put himself in their shows.
After thrashing the Italians in the Champions League quarter finals back in April, the Giallorossi have the chance to set the record straight at Old Trafford on Tuesday in Group F.
Asked what he would do if he had been in a team that had been beaten 7-1 and then had a chance to redeem themselves so soon after the event, Rooney smiled and said: “If it was me, I’d be sitting here rubbing my hands. I’d have been delighted as soon as I saw the draw was made. I wouldn’t be able to wait for the game and I’d see it as an opportunity to put things right.
“I’m sure that Roma will be fired up for this game. We need to be aware of that, but we just need to concentrate on our job and play the way we know we can do.”
Rooney also says that the Reds must put the 7-1 scoreline out of their minds and concentrate on playing at full tilt against Luciano Spalletti’s men. "It was a great result for us, but I think we all know it won’t happen again,” he said. “We know it will be a difficult game this time. We have to do our job and try and win the game.”
The 21-year-old striker is looking for his first goal this season, and Tuesday night would be an ideal time for him to get off the mark. “It was a disappointing start to the season for me because I got the injury,” he said. “But I’ve played three games now and hopefully I can start scoring again and help the team keep winning games.”

01/10/2007 13:21, Report by Ben Hibbs

Defensive injury blow for Reds

The Reds have some defensive injury concerns ahead of AS Roma's visit to Old Trafford on Tuesday.

Edwin van der Sar had already been ruled out with a toe injury, he is now expected to miss the next "couple of weeks". Just as worringly, Sir Alex Ferguson is waiting anxiously to learn of the fitness of Nemanja Vidic and Wes Brown, who both picked up knocks during the 1-0 win over Birmingham City on Saturday.

"They are both doubts," he said at his pre-match press conference. "We'll have to wait on them. Neither trained Monday morning, and you don't really want players missing training the day before games. It will be difficult for us [if they don't play]."

With Gary Neville still out, Sir Alex will call on John O'Shea at right-back, while Vidic would be replaced by 20-year-old Spanish defender Gerard Pique.

The Reds could, however, be boosted by the return of midfielder Owen Hargreaves. The 26-year-old trained on Monday and is rated as a “possibility” by Sir Alex. The United boss did admit that he would have preferred Hargreaves, who hasn’t played since the start of September, to have more playing time under his belt.

“Owen trained on Monday with the team. He’s a possibility,” added Sir Alex. “I’d like him to have had some more football ahead of what is an important game. European football is a different game of course, in terms of speed and tactics. But we’ll see.”

But given the absence of van der Sar’s wealthy experience and the potential lack of Vidic and Brown – both outstanding so far this season – the manager may be tempted to throw Hargreaves into action to protect United’s back four.

01/10/2007 11:47, Report by Ben Hibbs

Hargreaves: No Roma repeat

Owen Hargreaves says any thoughts of repeating last season's 7-1 thrashing of AS Roma should be instantly disregarded.

The 26-year-old could finally make his return from a thigh strain as the Serie A side head to Manchester on Tuesday, intent on reeking revenge for the defeat in April. Hargreaves, however, simply wants three points, whatever the scoreline.

"There will be no repeat of the 7-1," he said. "Those results happen perhaps once every four years in the entire competition. It's not going to happen again. As long as we get the three points, I'll be happy."

Hargreaves watched the game on television with his then team-mates at Bayern Munich, as they would have played the winners of the game if they beat AC Milan the following night.

Milan eventually knocked Bayern and United out. A tired, injury-ravaged Reds side were overpowered by a Milan team putting its entire efforts into the Champions League, while Sir Alex's men fought on two other fronts - the league and FA Cup. As a result, there's a clear determination to go a step further this year. But Hargreaves, a past winner with Bayern in 2001, says that's too far in the future.

"We're obviously one of the key teams in the Champions League but we can't think about winning it right now," he said. "We are in the same position as everyone else. It is only September, so the final is a long way off. The aim is to reach our peak later in the season. Hopefully we will get into the latter stages and then get the breaks any team needs to progress beyond that."

01/10/2007 09:40, Report by Nick Coppack

Poll: September star

ManUtd.com users voted Cristiano Ronaldo the Reds' man of the match against Birmingham on Saturday, but will the Portuguese winger also take home the player of the month award for September?

Ronaldo
's goal at St. Andrews was his second match-winner of the month – he also netted in his emotional return to Sporting Lisbon – but there are plenty of other candidates for September's accolade.

In the Reds' goal, Edwin van der Sar went 405 minutes without conceding and pulled off two incredible stops at the Jose Alvalade stadium on Champions League Matchday 1.

Nemanja Vidic and Wes Brown were part of a United back four that did so well to protect van der Sar, with Vidic also scoring the winner at Goodison Park.

We've also included September super sub Louis Saha, who, after a long spell on the sidelines, celebrated his return to action with the winner against Sunderland on the first day of the month. He then came off the bench against Chelsea to win and convert a late penalty.

Finally, we have Carlos Tevez. The Argentinean looked lively all month but struggled to net his first United goal… until he flung himself at a Giggs cross to open the scoring against Chelsea in first-half injury time.

Who gets your vote for September's player of the month? Vote at www.manutd.com/polls

01/10/2007 07:59, Report by Nick Coppack

Vidic delighted with 1-0 wins

Nemanja Vidic insists United's recent string of narrow 1-0 victories is no cause for concern.

At this stage of the last campaign, the Reds had found the net on 18 occasions – 11 more than United's current season total. But, speaking after the Reds' fifth single-goal victory of the season – this time away to Birmingham City – the Serbian defender said maximum points will always be United's priority.

"We're delighted as long as we win," Vidic told MUTV. "It's always important we keep a clean sheet, especially when we only score once. But we are proud and happy because it was an important three points.

"It wasn't a great game. We started badly and made a couple of mistakes in the first 20 minutes, which gave Birmingham a bit of hope. We gave them a few half chances, but we'll improve on that for the next match."

United's next test comes on Tuesday night when AS Roma visit Old Trafford for a Champions League Group F clash. The Reds will be without injured first-choice goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, although Vidic is confident stand-in stopper Tomasz Kuszczak has what it takes to step into the breach.

"Edwin gives us a lot of confidence at the back so it's never good to lose him, but Tomasz did very well in the second half at Birmingham. He's a good goalkeeper and we weren't worried when he came off the bench."

29/09/2007 19:28, Report by Gemma Thompson

Ronaldo's best yet to come

After netting United's winner against Birmingham City, Cristiano Ronaldo insisted his best form is still to come.

The winger's 52nd minute solo effort at St. Andrews was his second goal of the season and gave United a fifth successive league victory.

Ronaldo, who bagged 23 goals last season, has been happy with his recent form but says he is yet to hit top gear.

"My form is coming," he told MUTV. "I always try to work hard in training and hopefully I will keep improving and more goals will come as well.

"But my main concern is the team - I think only about that. The most important thing in football is getting the three points and I was pleased we did that against Birmingham."

The 22-year-old admitted United rode their luck at times against Steve Bruce's men, but still felt they deserved the win.

"It was a very tough game against a good team. They created a few difficult moments for us, but thankfully we managed to keep them out," he said.

"We didn't play as well as we can, but sometimes you can win matches without playing well.

"Our good football is coming. We have great players at the club and great staff and we will improve."

29/09/2007 18:45, Report by Nick Coppack

Boss: Reds roll on

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted with the win at St. Andrews but quick to praise Steve Bruce's Birmingham City.

"I think we're getting towards top gear," the boss told Setanta Sports. "You could see signs of that today. Some of the movement up front was very good. Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez are big threats for all our opponents, and the forward line is looking much better now.

"I actually thought Birmingham were by far the better team in the first half, although we did carve out some good chances for ourselves. They played very well and you have to give them full credit. I would say it was the hardest game of the season so far."

Sir Alex later told MUTV he was relieved to keep Birmingham at bay in the early stages and said Bruce's Blues had unsettled his players with their physical attributes.

"They were very aggressive, very quick about the pitch," he said. "They were a real handful for us. Even at 1-0 we were just praying to get through the match. Late on, they kept pumping balls into the box but we coped with that well. They're a big side, very athletic, and we had to be on our toes in the second half. It's a good result for us, a very good result.

"We only scored once but we were away from home and you have to give Birmingham credit. Ronaldo's goal might have come from a mistake by one of their players but his composure in beating the mean, beating the goalkeeper and then putting it into the net was excellent. He was sensational today. The boy is so good it's frightening. His capabilities are unending."
01/10/2007 08:43, Report by Steve Bartram

Roma suffer heavy defeat

Roma warmed up for Tuesday's trip to Old Trafford in the worst possible fashion on Saturday, losing 4-1 at home to Internazionale.
Luciano Spalletti's side played over an hour with 10 men at the Stadio Olimpico, after Ludovic Giuly was sent off for deliberate handball after 28 minutes.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic converted the resultant penalty to put the Serie A champions ahead, only for Simone Perrotta to restore parity after half-time.
The hosts' hopes of taking anything from the game were ended, however, by a three-goal salvo in the space of 11 minutes shortly after Perrotta's strike.
Hernan Crespo tapped in from close range, Julio Cruz fired a third from distance and Ivan Cordoba headed home to give Inter a three-point lead at the top of Serie A.
Roma's woes continued with the news that Christian Panucci has been left out of the travelling party for Tuesday's tie, along with Marco Cassetti and Rodrigo Taddei.
Those absences are slightly offset, however, by the inclusion of Perrotta and Alberto Aquilani - both of whom had been carrying slight knocks.
Papers: Totti wants revenge
01/10/2007 08:30

Totti: We can avenge defeat
Roma superstar Francesco Totti has sent a blunt message to Alex Ferguson: “I’m coming to get revenge.” The former Italy idol is desperate to get even for the worst defeat of his career - in last season’s Champions League quarter-finals when Manchester United tore apart Roma 7-1. He said: “We want a great and beautiful revenge. We have all been thinking of the game after what happened last year at Old Trafford. It was a complete disaster.”
Antony Kastrinakis, The Sun

The striker has apologised to a United fan for the violent police action in the Stadio Olimpico. The Roma star sent a personal video message to Carly Lyes, 23, who was hit on the head by police and had her camera taken.

Owen Hargreaves has warned United's expectant fans to forget any chance of a repeat of their magnificent seven-goal salvo against Roma this week. "There will be no repeat of the 7-1," he said. "Those results possibly happen once every three or four years in the entire competition. It is just not going to happen again."
Round up by Gemma Thompson

01/10/2007 23:15, Report by Steve Bartram and Nick Coppack

Carlos craves early opener

Assistant manager Carlos Queiroz hopes United can draw first blood against Roma on Tuesday evening, in order to make the game a more entertaining spectacle.

With goals at a premium in United's games so far this season, the Portuguese wants a quick strike to help both sides step out of what could otherwise be a cagey affair.

"If we go in front that will change the overall picture of the game and you'll see the opposition take more risks," Queiroz told United Radio."They'll need to involve more players in their attacks and that stretches the game.

"If we score early, Roma don't have anything to lose and they'll open up the game to try and score. That will be a better spectacle if the two teams play an open game and we know that when the game turns open it's always easier for us to get a good result."

Just as Sir Alex Ferguson, Wayne Rooney and countless other squad members have stated in the run-up to Tuesday's game, Queiroz is aware that there will be no repeat of last April's 7-1 mauling of the Italians.
"Roma are a better team this time around," he said. "There has been a lot of progress – they're more consistent and I think the players know each other much better.

"Both sides have a few injuries. It's always difficult to predict football and we don't know what will happen. They have added a few new elements and those players also have great motivation and desire to prove themselves, so it won't be easy."

02/10/2007 13:51, Report by Steve Bartram

Mancini: We're here to win

Roma star Mancini says his side aim to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages as Group F winners, and will be coming to Old Trafford to win.
The Brazilian trickster is integral to his side's hopes of victory on Tuesday night, and he is in confident mood ahead of Tuesday's clash.
"Roma want to go through from the group stage in first place," Mancini told Icons. "So the game against United is crucial. We are never underdogs. We are going there to win.
"I think we have enough quality to go all the way to the end of every tournament. We have a great opportunity. The season has just started and so far we have been doing well."
Mancini claims his side will not sit back at Old Trafford, having learned a harsh lesson in last April's 7-1 hammering against the Reds.
"If we go there to defend we won’t lose by seven goals, we’ll lose by 15," he said. "Of course we have to attack. We are going there without any fear though we have the greatest respect for United.
"We’ve learnt our lesson and that result is an extra motivation for us. Although motivation is hardly necessary before big games like this one, in a stadium like Old Trafford."
02/10/2007 10:17, Report by Steve Bartram

More to Roma than Totti

First team coach Mike Phelan admits that Roma's hopes of an upset at Old Trafford are not pinned exclusively on team talisman Francesco Totti.
Phelan and the rest of the United coaching staff have performed thorough checks on the Italians' strengths and weaknesses, and know they will provide a stern challenge at Old Trafford.
"Totti's the name everybody talks about but I think they're a very solid, organised team," Phelan told United Radio. "The manager's done very well and he knows everyone can do the job he asks of them.
"Daniele de Rossi is very competent and holds the team together. Their wide full backs are very, very good too and are capable of going up and down the wing all night.
"Overall, as a unit, Roma are up there with one of the best teams in Europe. It should be another exciting night."
While much of the pre-match discussion has been directed towards Roma's pursuit of revenge for their 7-1 mauling in April, Phelan feels the Italians' main objective will be restoring pride.
"I don't know if they're after revenge," he said. "I think they want pride more than anything else. They'll come and try and salvage that. It's another game, a new occasion, another run in the Champions League, and both teams will want to come out of it with credit."

02/10/2007 07:02, Report by Gemma Thompson & Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex trusts Tomasz

Sir Alex Ferguson insists he has no qualms about handing Tomasz Kuszczak his Champions League debut against Roma on Tuesday evening, after Edwin van der Sar was ruled out through injury.

The 25-year-old stopper made his first league appearance of the season as a half-time substitute at Birmingham on Saturday after  van der Sar had injured a toe.

The Polish goalkeeper looked confident between the posts and made a superb reflex save from Gary McSheffrey's deflected shot soon after Cristiano Ronaldo had given the Reds the lead.

He now faces his biggest test of his Reds' career so far as he prepares to make his European bow. But Sir Alex is confident he'll rise to the challenge.

"I'm very confident that Tomasz can step up [to the Champions League]," said Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference. "The boy just needed the opportunity.

"Especially with the ability and experience of Edwin van der Sar, it is difficult for any young goalkeeper to get games.

"But he showed on Saturday against Birmingham, as he has done in the past, that he can do very well. I was very pleased with his performance against Birmingham."
返回列表