返回列表 回復 發帖

12/10/2007 08:26, Report by Nick Coppack

Edwin out of action

Edwin van der Sar is the latest confirmed casualty ahead of the next round of Euro 2008 qualifiers, with the Reds' goalkeeper pulling out of Holland's squad on Thursday.

Despite injuring his toe in United's 1-0 win at Birmingham City and missing the Reds' recent clashes with AS Roma and Wigan, van der Sar linked up with the Dutch national team earlier this week in the hope of being fit for Saturday's Group G meeting with Romania.

But the 36-year-old couldn't shake off the injury and will now focus his energies on making his United comeback at Villa Park on Saturday 20 October.

"This is a pity," Holland manager Marco van Basten told the Dutch press. "He is an important player, our captain."
16/10/2007 13:00, Report by Press Department

Giggs extends Reds deal

Manchester United is pleased to announce that Ryan Giggs has today extended his contract for a further season until the end of June 2009.
Ryan has 18 major titles to his name including 9 Premier League titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and 1 European Cup. He made his United debut at Old Trafford on 2nd March 1991 against Everton and has played 727 matches to date - making him second only to Sir Bobby Charlton (759) in most appearances for the Club - and scored 141 goals.
Sir Alex Ferguson said: “I am absolutely delighted that Ryan has signed for a further season. Ryan Giggs epitomises the word loyalty, he signed here as a 14-year old school boy and is still with the club 20 years on. Apart from his playing ability he has a fantastic demeanour and is a great role model to the younger players. I am sure he will be at the Club for a long time to come.”
Ryan Giggs said: “I am delighted to have signed for a further season. I am enjoying football more than ever and I hope to carry on playing football for Manchester United for as long as I can. I would like to thank Sir Alex, the fans and everyone at the Club for the great support I have received over the years.”

Ryan's Honours ListBarclays Premier League: 1992/93, 1993/94, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1998/99, 1999/00, 2000/01, 2002/03, 2006/07
FA Cup: 1993/94, 1995/96, 1998/99, 2003/04
League Cup: 1991/92, 2005/06
European Cup: 1998/99
European Super Cup: 1991
Intercontinental Cup: 1999
Community Shield: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
16/10/2007 08:50, Report by Gemma Thompson

Rio's Euro mission

Rio Ferdinand is determined to make up for lost time when he steps out for England's crunch Euro 2008 qualifier in Russia on Wednesday night.

Steve McClaren's men can book their place in next summer's tournament with victory over the Russians in Moscow.

Ferdinand missed out on the last European Championships in Portugal in 2004 after his much publicised eight-month ban for missing a drugs test.

The United defender is still haunted at being unable to play and is on a mission to make it to the finals this time round.

"It's a painful memory not being able to play in that campaign," admitted Ferdinand. "Of course it hurt and now I'd really like to get to a Euro finals. I've been to three World Cups now but I've not been to a European Championship.

"It's something I'd like to tick off on my 'to-do' list, but with this one hopefully I can go one better than the World Cups and win it. It's important to me."

Much has been made about the artificial pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium and the difficulties it may pose. But Ferdinand insists the players are not thinking about such factors and are instead focusing on securing the victory they need.
Rio Ferdinand is determined to make up for lost time when he steps out for England's crunch Euro 2008 qualifier in Russia on Wednesday night.

Steve McClaren's men can book their place in next summer's tournament with victory over the Russians in Moscow.

Ferdinand missed out on the last European Championships in Portugal in 2004 after his much publicised eight-month ban for missing a drugs test.

The United defender is still haunted at being unable to play and is on a mission to make it to the finals this time round.

"It's a painful memory not being able to play in that campaign," admitted Ferdinand. "Of course it hurt and now I'd really like to get to a Euro finals. I've been to three World Cups now but I've not been to a European Championship.

"It's something I'd like to tick off on my 'to-do' list, but with this one hopefully I can go one better than the World Cups and win it. It's important to me."

Much has been made about the artificial pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium and the difficulties it may pose. But Ferdinand insists the players are not thinking about such factors and are instead focusing on securing the victory they need.
"We have to take all the negatives out of the environment over there — with the pitch and what not — and completely wipe that out of our minds," he declared. "If we dwell on that, we've lost before we even go out. We've got the result in these kind of games before and why not now?

"We're scoring goals and not conceding, so confidence couldn't be any better. The consistency is creeping back but we've still got much to do.

"The game in Russia is going to be very important and to win we've got to apply ourselves right. We beat them 3-0 and quite convincingly last time, we're in a good vein of form so we couldn't go into the game in any better shape."

16/10/2007 08:40, Report by Steve Bartram

Partizan cool Jovetic rumours

Partizan Belgrade insist it will be at least next summer before they consider parting with teenage striker Stevan Jovetic.
The 17-year-old prodigy has been touted as a potential transfer target for United and Real Madrid, among others, but Partizan have moved swiftly to cool rumours of a January transfer.
"We must decide the pros and cons of selling Jovetic," said club director Gordan Petric. "We will decide that at the end of the season. A lot of clubs are interested in him."
Yugoslav legend Dejan Savicevic, now president of the Montenegrin FA, is far from shocked at the interest Jovetic has attracted.
"I am not surprised by the interest of Manchester United," he told The Sun. "Stevan could play in any of the biggest clubs in Europe. And I think United would get him on the cheap even for £7million."

Jovetic has already scored 18 goals in 54 appearances for Partizan, including a hat-trick in a UEFA Cup qualifier against Zrinjski in August.
15/10/2007 11:28, Report by Ben Hibbs

Evra's history lesson

Patrice Evra has revealed he has immersed himself in books and DVDs to learn more about United's rich history.

The 26-year-old Frenchman has become Sir Alex Ferguson's first-choice left-back since joining from Monaco nearly two years ago. Evra says an important part of settling into his surroundings was learning about United's past.

"I joined a club that has such a strong identity so I had to learn it," he told France Football. "I watched many cassettes, DVDs of Eric Cantona and have translated a lot of books. Now when an ex-player shakes hands with me, I know who he is."

Ferbruary's 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash is on the horizon, and learning about the tragedy has given Evra a better understanding of the fabric of the club.

"[Learning about] the plane crash in 1958 moved me," he said. "When I take the plane with Bobby Charlton, I ask myself, ’how can he do it after what he has been through?’.

"I have more and more respect for this shirt. I advise everybody to be interested in his club, to identify yourself to it, it helped me."
15/10/2007 09:57, Report by Ben Hibbs

'Lion' Tevez thanks Sir Alex

Carlos Tevez feels he is settling in to life at Old Trafford thanks to Sir Alex Ferguson and his team-mates making him feel at home.

Tevez has gradually settled into United's team and the 23-year-old is now proving a big hit with fans for being skilful and tenacious in equal measure. Goals against Chelsea and Wigan are merely confirmation of his arrival on the big stage.

"The help I've had from Sir Alex is very important," he told The Sun. "I know he has total belief in me and I'm very grateful to him. Sir Alex knows a lot about football and I'm learning from him. He makes me feel relaxed and valued."

The Reds boss described the Argentina striker as being "brave as a lion", but it isn't just his courageousness that has drawn such comparisons. "He called me a lion, and he's started doing it at training as well," revealed Tevez. "I turn up just after getting out of bed with my hair all messed up. And when my hair is like that, I look like a lion apparently!”

His team-mates have also provided inspiration on the pitch and support off it. "When I look around the dressing room and see my team-mates, I realise I'm at one of the most important clubs in the world,” he added. “That's a dream come true.

"The most surprising thing about the squad is even though all the players are stars, they're all really humble and good people. I've now got various friends in the squad like Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. I'm doing quite well with my English now. I understand the boss and my team-mates perfectly."
15/10/2007 09:41, Report by Steve Bartram

Rooney pitching for progress

Wayne Rooney is confident that England can seal Euro 2008 qualification with victory in Russia on Wednesday.
The United striker was part of the side that secured a goalless draw in similar circumstances against Turkey just over five years ago, and he is certain that England can overcome the hurdle of Russia's plastic pitch to book a place at next summer's finals.
"We know if we get three points then we’ve qualified," he said. "I’m sure it will be difficult and with a plastic pitch, we will not be used to it. But we won’t make excuses if we win or lose – we just need to do our job.

"It’s a similar situation to when we played Turkey a few years ago to qualify for the last European Championships. We went out there and did a job and I am confident we can do the same again."
Rooney scored his first competitive England goal since 2004 in Saturday's 3-0 victory over Estonia at Wembley, and the mercurial striker was predictably elated to be back on target.
"I’m delighted to score at any time, but it has been a long time," he said. "As a striker, if you don’t score, it does play on your mind a bit, but as long as we kept on winning I didn’t mind too much. I’m delighted to score, but I’m happier with the three points.”
Papers: Edwin to carry on
16/10/2007 08:08

New deal for Edwin
Manchester United are set to open talks with Edwin van der Sar over a new one-year contract extension. The Dutch goalkeeper has been in excellent form this season, keeping seven successive clean sheets, and United are ready to reward his exemplary contribution. Despite being 36, United believe he can play on until May 2009 before eventually leaving Old Trafford. Van der Sar, who currently earns around £35,000 a week, will retire from international football with Holland after next summer's Euro Championships. That will free him to focus his attention fully on his commitments to United, who expect England keeper Ben Foster to emerge as his long-term replacement.
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

The Daily Mail report that United are keeping tabs on Carlos Tevez's teenage brother. Sir Alex Ferguson has identified Miguel Tevez, 17, as a star of the future during a two-week trial at United which has just finished. Sources close to United said Sir Alex was impressed by his ability and attitude and has told his staff that his development must be monitored.

Meanwhile, Sir Alex is battling with Real Madrid for wonderkid Stevan Jovetic. Monday's papers reported that the United boss was tracking the striker, but The Sun claims he now faces competition from the Spanish giants.
Round up by Gemma Thompson

17/10/2007 07:47, Report by Steve Bartram

Giggs still looking ahead

Having only just penned a new one-year contract extension, Ryan Giggs is already looking to further prolong his stay at Old Trafford.
The veteran winger, who turns 34 next month, has extended his current deal until June 2009, and is hoping to play his way into a further elongation next season and beyond.
"We said a couple of years ago when I signed the last contract that we’d look at it year by year which is what we’ve done," Giggs told MUTV immediately after signing his new deal.
"I’m obviously delighted to get it sorted out. I can just concentrate on the football now. I had just under a year to go and now I’ve signed a year’s extension. Hopefully there will be a couple more."
Giggs made his United debut in 1991, but he insists his appetite for the game has not diminished despite over 16 years of sustained success.
"I think a lot’s changed in 16 years," he said. "But I’m enjoying more football more than ever. The nearer you get to the end, you try and enjoy it as much as you can. At 18 or 19, you think it’s going to go on forever and obviously it doesn’t.
"I’m enjoying it, we’ve got a great team at the moment. Obviously winning the Premier League last year was a great buzz for everyone and hopefully we can do it again.
"I feel as fit as ever and I’m enjoying it as much as ever as I’ve just said so hopefully I can go on a bit longer."

17/10/2007 12:55, Report by Nick Coppack

Olof's injury doubt

Aston Villa may go into Saturday's Barclays Premier League encounter with United missing inspirational defender Olof Mellberg after the Swedish international injured his back on international duty.

Mellberg looks unlikely to feature in Sweden's side for Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier against Northern Ireland and now faces an uphill battle to regain fitness in time for the champions' visit to Villa Park.

Thirty-year-old Mellberg, who usually operates in the centre of defence, has spent the majority of this season at right back after Mark Delaney's retirement and Aaron Hughes' move to Fulham. If Mellberg fails to make Saturday's squad, Martin O'Neill is likely to turn to midfielder Craig Gardner for cover.

Meanwhile, Saturday's match also looks to be too soon for Villa striker John Carew, who limped out of action in Villa's 2-0 win over Everton last month.

"Carew is improving," Martin O'Neill said, "but I would, at this minute, say he was unlikely to be available for Saturday. Saturday would be the fourth week and we were always anticipating between four and six weeks."
17/10/2007 08:56, Report by Steve Bartram

Gill salutes a loyal legend

After securing a deal to take Ryan Giggs into his second decade at Old Trafford, Chief Executive David Gill admits the veteran winger should be regarded as a club legend in years to come.

In addition to Giggs' sustained on-field brilliance, Gill was keen to note the Welshman's influence as a role model during his trophy-laden time at Old Trafford - a combination which ensures he is held in the highest regard throughout football.

“You would have thought (he will be regarded as a legend) for his trophy haul, and his 727 games already under his belt with many more to come," Gill told MUTV. "But it’s not only for what he’s achieved, it’s also how he’s achieved it.

"Quite rightly he’s got respect throughout the game, not only in this country but around the world. He clearly excites fans all over the globe with the way he plays the game but also I think everyone can recognise he is a true gentleman, a true ambassador for this great game and this great club.

"I think in the modern-day game, someone who’s loyal to the club, plays from being a junior right through to senior ranks, he’s won 18 trophies and he’s done it all - it’s very important. I’m sure through Ryan a lot of knowledge and information is passed down through the ranks which is invaluable."

With both parties keen to extend Giggs' tenure at United, Gill admits negotiations were particularly easy - and he hopes that such talks take place many more times before the 33-year-old decides to call time on his glittering career.

“It wasn’t the most difficult of negotiations," revealed Gill. "Ryan’s been with us for many, many years, he’s a great player for this club and a great ambassador. We were delighted to secure his services until June 2009 at the earliest.
“As you can see, he’s fit, he looks after himself, he looks fantastic and we judge it by what he’s doing on the pitch for Manchester United and he’s clearly producing the goods week in, week out.
“I think Ryan recognises what the club has done for him – we’ve looked after him – but he’s clearly done fantastic things for the club. I think that loyalty is something that is quite rightly recognised within the club and with all our supporters around the world as a fantastic asset in the game today.
“We obviously want him to stay, to play and to contribute for many more years to come.”

17/10/2007 08:46, Report by Steve Bartram

Reds face fight at Villa

United will have a fight on their hands if they are to take three points from Aston Villa this weekend, according to Villans midfielder Craig Gardner.
Martin O'Neill's side have won four of their first five home matches this season - including a 2-0 triumph over Chelsea - and United face a hard task in extending their fine record at Villa Park.
"Villa Park isn't an easy place for teams to come," Gardner told the Birmingham Mail. "I'm sure Chelsea came here thinking they were going to get all three points and we won 2-0.
"Nobody will come here and stroll to the points. We'll give teams a game and we'll put up a fight. We've got that 'never say die' attitude now under Martin O'Neill.
"Even if we go 1-0 down, we have the character to bounce back and that's a good thing to have."
Gardner has been carrying a slight groin injury of late, but the England U21 international is desperate to be fit for United's visit.
"It's a game I really don't want to miss," he said. "Man U at home is one of the biggest, if not the biggest game of the season, so I'm determined to be fit and it would be nice to be a part of the team that plays against United.
"These are the games no player wants to miss. You want to go out there and perform in front of over 40,000 and you want to play against the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs - what more can you ask for?"
17/10/2007 08:50, Report by Steve Bartram

Phil completes Blades loan

United defender Phil Bardsley is looking forward to sampling regular first-team action, after joining Bryan Robson's Sheffield United on loan for three months.

Bardsley has made just the one senior appearance for United this season, in September's Carling Cup defeat to Coventry, but has been temporarily snapped up by the struggling Blades.

"The opportunity to get some first-team football was important and I know I need to come in and improve the side defensively," Phil told the official Sheffield United website.

"This is a tough league with some really good teams, and I am looking ahead to getting stuck in for three months. The season has a long way to go, but we need to start picking up points quickly to climb the table."

He becomes the eighth player to leave United on loan this season. Ryan Shawcross and Ritchie Jones joined Stoke City and Yeovil respectively back in August, while Michael Lea and Craig Cathcart are both spending five months at Royal Antwerp.

Following the Reds' Carling Cup exit, Lee Martin, Darron Gibson and Adam Eckersley have joined Plymouth Argyle, Wolves and Port Vale respectively

Reds on loanPort Vale - Adam Eckersley
Plymouth Argyle - Lee Martin
Royal Antwerp - Craig Cathcart and Michael Lea
Sheffield United - Phil Bardsley
Stoke City - Ryan Shawcross
Wolves - Darron Gibson
Yeovil Town - Ritchie Jones
Papers: Breaking records
17/10/2007 08:41

Giggs deal to break record
Ryan Giggs was last night backed to beat Sir Bobby Charlton's record of appearances for Manchester United after signing a new contract until June 2009. Veteran winger Giggs is just 33 games short of breaking Charlton's record of 759 matches and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes the 33-year-old will surpass that feat. Giggs has put pen to paper on a one-year contract extension. But Fergie reckons Giggs - who has won nine Premier League titles - is more likely to break Charlton's record next season rather than during this campaign. "We've got 29 league games left, hopefully another 10 or so European ties and the FA Cup, so it's possible this season," said Fergie. "But Ryan won't play every game. He'll be here next season, so this season or next he will do it."
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror
Round up by Gemma Thompson
18/10/2007 09:11, Report by Nick Coppack

Vidic sounds warning

Nemanja Vidic has warned of the pressures international duty can place on players in the Barclays Premier League.

Although concussion sustained in the Reds' victory over Wigan meant Vidic missed Serbia's Euro 2008 qualifiers this week – Saturday's 0-0 draw with Armenia and Wednesday's 6-1 win in Azerbaijan – the defender said many of his United team-mates will be tired after stints representing their countries.

Most players away on international duty will have boarded flights back to Manchester in the early hours of Thursday morning, but Friday's training session at Carrignton will be the only full run-out they'll have before Saturday's trip to Villa Park.

And Vidic says it's important to remember the effects of long-distance travel on the body. Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand have both returned from Russia, Darren Fletcher from Georgia and Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani from Kazakhstan. Meanwhile, Carlos Tevez has been in South America representing Argentina in World Cup 2010 qualifiers.

"There have been a lot of games for the players and we always find the match after an international break is very tough," Vidic told ManUtd.com.

"It's hard to come back to the club
and adapt your game – everyone plays differently on international duty. When you return to United you have to find your feet again and it can take a few days to settle."

Vidic also suggested United's non-English players find the going even tougher.

"It's very hard when I have a home international game in Serbia, for example. I get to see my friends and family, which is nice, but that can take it out of you and it means you get less time to yourself to rest.

"Then again, when I'm playing for United I feel very professional because I don't have those distractions. I have a lot of time for myself to rest, think about the next game, prepare for the training sessions. I'm very comfortable here."
返回列表