返回列表 回復 發帖

31/10/2007 09:50, Report by Steve Bartram

Boss ready for key clash

Sir Alex Ferguson admits Saturday's trip to the Emirates Stadium could be a key clash in this season's Barclays Premier League title race.
Table-topping Arsenal and second-placed United are separated by just goals scored going into the match, with both sides in top form.

Having seen the Reds score four times in four consecutive matches, however, Sir Alex is confident that his side are facing the leaders at the right time.
"Everything is coming together, as I thought it would, and in good time to take on Arsenal in what could be a key match in our title defence," he is quoted as telling the Daily Star.
"It's still an open race but Arsenal have had a great start and they're the ones we are chasing at the moment. The main thing is I know we will chase them with great fervour and determination."
Arsene Wenger's side have confounded their critics this season with some superb displays en route to leading the pack, and Sir Alex admits they are genuine contenders for United's crown.
"I know challenging for a title is a new experience for a lot of their players, but some of them have been there before and the manager has, and that is a big help," he said.
"People said the same about us last year, but we led the league for three-quarters of the season, so I don't think it's a handicap."

02/11/2007 12:23, Report by Nick Coppack

Reds primed and ready

Sir Alex Ferguson can't wait for Saturday's top-of-the-table clash between Arsenal and United at the Emirates Stadium.

"We couldn't be going into the game in any better shape or form," he told journalists at his pre-match press conference. "But I'm sure Arsene Wenger will say the same thing."

Indeed, both sides are flying at the moment, with United riding high on the back of four consecutive four-goal hauls.

The Reds' boss also revealed he would have a full squad – Paul Scholes and long-term casualties aside – to choose from.

Patrice Evra is fit again after injuring his calf in Kyiv, Owen Hargreaves came through last weekend's clash against Middlesbrough unscathed, Louis Saha is available and Michael Carrick, who's not played since fracturing his elbow on 2 October, trained all week with the first-team.

"We have everyone fit apart from Paul Scholes. It is the strongest position we have been so far this season with the squad available," declared Sir Alex. "Carrick has trained all week, Owen Hargreaves came through his game last week, played 65 minutes and he is ready for tomorrow also
"Saha's available and it could not come at a better time because in big games you hope you are going to have your strongest team available and apart from Paul Scholes I think we have that."

Gary Neville, although he played for United's Reserves team on Thursday night, won't be involved, even though Sir Alex said it's "great to have him back."
02/11/2007 15:01, Report by Gemma Thompson

Hell-bent on winning

Both United and Arsenal will be "hell-bent on winning" Saturday's lunchtime clash, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

The two sides are level on points at the top of the Barclays Premier League - although Arsene Wenger's men have a game in hand.

The Reds go into the game on the back of eight straight wins, while Arsenal have won seven of their last eight matches and are unbeaten this term. And Sir Alex believes this kind of form will add more flavour to the crunch tie.

"Both teams will be hell-bent on winning and that's the kind of mouth-watering aspect about the game," he explained.

"Anyone who has got a ticket will be rubbing their hands because without question the form of both teams, the football they are playing, the goals they are scoring, points to a big occasion.

“It’s always going to be tense. Tenacity and intensity are part of these encounters and it won’t escape Saturday's game."

The recent excellent displays by both teams has left many pundits predicting a two-horse race between United and Arsenal this season. But Sir Alex isn't so sure.

"People are saying the title will rest between ourselves and Arsenal but then you look at Chelsea's form of last week," he declared.

"They returned to sparkling football they looked very impressive and the strength of Liverpool's squad means you cannot discount them.

"At this
moment in time both us and Arsenal are enjoying a good spell but I know from my experiences there are rough days ahead. You maybe lose a game or two, but that's the nature of football.

"It's a tough league but I would like to be top of the league on Saturday night."
02/11/2007 09:41, Report by Ben Hibbs

Vidic aims to keep Arsenal out

Serbian centre-back Nemanja Vidic has the specific aim of not conceding against Arsenal this weekend, but he has also warned the Gunners that they face a tough task containing the Reds’ firing front men.

Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo lead the goalscoring stakes with six apiece, while Carlos Tevez has chipped in with four and Ryan Giggs, Rio Ferdinand, Louis Saha and Nani have all scored two.

"Rooney and Tevez are playing so well at the moment, but it’s not just them; Ronaldo, Nani, every one of the attackers,” he was quoted as saying in The Sun.

The Reds travel to the Emirates Stadium for Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off level on 26 points with the current league leaders, who have a game in hand, and United don’t want to let the Londoners edge any further ahead.

Vidic, himself with one league goal this term, is determined to put up formidable resistance to Arsene Wenger’s forwards.

“Arsenal have been playing very well. They are not just winning but playing good football too,” he said. “I watched their match against Liverpool and thought they were especially good in the first half.

“But, at the back, we will take just as much pride from a clean sheet as our strikers will from scoring a goal. Arsenal will be a big test but I believe we can stop them and have another clean sheet to our names.”
02/11/2007 07:00, Report by Ben Hibbs

Fletch: We're fired up

United face Arsenal this weekend on the back of an eight-game winning run in the league and Darren Fletcher feels it’s the perfect time to visit the Emirates Stadium.

Arsene Wenger’s side may have set the pace at the start of the 2007/08 campaign, but Sir Alex’s men have been gradually reeling the Gunners in.

The two sides are now level on points, although Arsenal have a game in hand. But, after a painful late defeat in North London last season, Fletcher says the Reds are intent on setting the record straight.

“We know they’re a top class side, so it will be difficult,” he told ManUtd.com. “But we’re playing some great football at the moment so we’re going down there to win.

“We’ve come into form at exactly the right time. We started the season off a little bit sluggishly, even though we created plenty of chances. But the goals have started to come now and we’re winning matches. It’s a nice time to get Arsenal. It’s our biggest challenge this season and it will be interesting to see how far we’ve come.”

As it currently stands, Arsenal look like being the most serious challengers to United’s title crown, which adds to the intensity of the occasion.
"It’s a massive game already because Arsenal are level on points with a game in hand, so we don’t want to let them open a gap,” Fletcher added.

“It’s a match that everyone is looking forward to, especially after the disappointment of last season at the Emirates Stadium. To take the lead and control the game, then lose two goals late on was a big disappointment. That’s something we’ll look to rectify."

United and Arsenal may be leading the charge domestically this term, but Fletcher isn’t ruling Chelsea and Liverpool out of the running. “They’re not out of it yet,” he said. “They’re both top-class sides that are more than capable of going on long runs unbeaten, which makes them dangerous.

"I still think that, towards the end, all four teams will be up there. After last season, the confidence here has grown even further. We know we can win the league, and with the improvement we’ve had in the squad since last season there is absolutely no reason why we can’t do it again."
Papers: Adebayor's snub
02/11/2007 09:13

I snubbed United to stay at Arsenal
Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed for the first time he snubbed a move to United to sign a new deal at Arsenal. In an exclusive interview with SunSport just a day before the Gunners face arch-rivals United, the striker explained why he chose to stay at the Emirates. He said: “When I got that approach from United, I was like ‘Okay, it’s a good team, one of the biggest teams in the world – why not?’ It was very flattering for me and gave me confidence that I am a good footballer because, if a team like Manchester want to get me, it proves I’m doing things right. But don’t forget I am already at a massive club and we have a fantastic team."
Antony Kastrinakis, The Sun

Ahead of the game at the Emirates, Nemanja Vidic aims to back up his billing as a Red legend with a huge performance against Arsenal at The Emirates.

Michael Carrick is in line for a dramatic recall for United at Arsenal. The midfielder will travel with the squad and hopes to play a part in the match after recovering from a fractured elbow.

Wayne Rooney has told the Daily Mirror he will continue his goalscoring exploits in the coming weeks and months, and strike a significant psychological blow for Manchester United in the title race.

In other news, Sir Alex Ferguson reckons the Premier League has seen the last of Jose Mourinho. “I don’t know if he will come back into the English game, I’m not sure of that," he said. “I think Jose will end up at a top team in Spain or Italy - I’m almost certain of that.

The Reds' boss believes United will win the title when their injury nightmare is over. “I feel that once we get that strong squad together we are capable of going and winning the league again," he insisted.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
02/11/2007 11:22, Report by Nick Coppack

U18s: Pele Challenge

United's Academy players are preparing to pit their skills against some of the best young talent in the world... and Brazilian legend Pele will be there to watch.

The Reds are one of four sides competing in the three-day Pele Challenge at Sheffield United Academy and kick off their quest for the trophy with a match against the hosts on Tuesday 6 November (12:00 GMT).

Paul McGuinness' side, who have won eight of their last 10 league fixtures, will then face Sao Paulo (Wednesday 7 November, 11:00 GMT) and FC Porto (Thursday 8 November (10:30 GMT).

Pele, regarded by many as the greatest player to ever grace a football pitch, will be in Sheffield to help The Blades launch new exhibitions at the club museum and is expected to watch some of the action.

"Pele will be at some of the games in the tournament," Sheffiled United Academy Director Simon McCabe confirmed, "and we are expecting Sao Paulo to send several members of Brazil's U17 World Cup squad."

02/11/2007 13:02, Report by Chris McKenna

Fans confident for big game

Reds fans have been talking tactics on our messageboards ahead of Saturday's crunch game at Arsenal.

Here are some of the comments posted so far at www.manutd.com/talkingreds.
Roshan Nair   
“I think the best way to counter Arsenal is to play our brand of football. I think Anderson and Hargreaves can match up to Fabregas and Flamini. The advantage we have is our wingers are better than Arsenal's. This match will be the match of the season because both teams are on form. It will be 2-0 to Man United.”
Carlos del Olmo
“This is going to be an influential game, possibly for the outcome of this Premier League race. I don't fear the passing of Rosicky, Fabregas and Hleb. I think we have enough firepower to take their unbeaten record away, plant the seed of uncertainty (jn their minds) and get revenge for last year's result.”

Idris Bashir   
“I appreciate your high hopes for this match and I too am optimistic that we are going to win, but I think the manager must bring in a player who can take Fabregas out of the game, not injury wise but I mean mark him out.”
Spadez Az   
“The thing that encourages me the most is that Rooney and Tevez at the moment are on fire, while Adebayor is perhaps the opposite. Also, I feel Arsenal's defence hasn't been asked enough questions this season, but with players like Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs and Anderson that will definitely change when they face us!”
03/11/2007 16:49, Report by C McKenna, A Bostock

Saha back as options increase

Louis Saha's latest return to fitness enabled Sir Alex Ferguson to name his best 16 of the season so far on Saturday.

The French striker was one of five internationals on the United bench, the others being Nani, John O'Shea, Tomasz Kusczak and Michael Carrick. Like Saha, Carrick was making his first appearance in the squad since the 1-0 win over Roma a month ago.

The quality of substitutes available for the Reds certainly pleased Sir Alex.

"I had the strongest bench that we've had all season, that’s encouraging for us," he said.

"The lads who have been playing all this time have been fantastic and we are very proud of them. But we can now alternate our teams a little bit better."

O'Shea, Carrick and Saha all came on in the second half against Arsenal, and the latter caught the eye when United scored what looked to be the winning goal.

“Louis Saha made a marvellous contribution when he came on," praised Sir Alex.

"He made a great pass for the goal to Evra who squared it for Ronaldo. At that point, I thought we were home and dry.”

United will hope to be home and dry in the Champions League group stage on Wednesday night when they take on Dynamo Kyiv at Old Trafford.

This time Sir Alex will have seven subs - one of them could be Gary Neville, who played his first game for seven months in the reserves on Thursday.

03/11/2007 15:48, Report by Adam Bostock

Sir Alex: We threw it away

Sir Alex Ferguson was fuming after United's failure to keep the lead cost them dear in a dramatic draw at the Emirates Stadium.

The boss believes his team threw away a great chance to beat their rivals, and pointed to the first of two Arsenal equalisers as the source of his irritation.

"We threw it away, we were in a winning position twice," Sir Alex told MUTV.

"The goal that angered me most was the goal we gave away after half-time. To lose a goal from taking a throw-in at their corner flag was criminal."

The goal in question, scored by Cesc Fabregas, came only three minutes after Wayne Rooney had given United the lead - albeit with the half-time interval inbetween.

"It was a marvellous time for us to score, just before half-time. We should have been buoyed by that and we did start the second half well with good possession. Then we gave the goal away and for the next five to ten minutes after that they got at us."

United weathered that early second-half storm and the score remained at 1-1 for the next half-hour. Sir Alex was then as surprised as anyone when the Reds broke through again.

"I couldn’t see either team scoring a second goal. To then score our second when we did and give it away in injury time is hard to take, really hard to take. Arsenal got out of jail.

"The result doesn’t tell you anything as both teams are going to be challenging. But the draw's good for Chelsea and Liverpool and there are a lot of twists and turns to come."
03/11/2007 13:50, Report by Gemma Thompson

Report: Arsenal 2 United 2

William Gallas netted at both ends at the Emirates Stadium, including Arsenal's last-gasp equaliser after Cristiano Ronaldo looked to have scored the winner.

The Gunners’ captain struck two minutes into injury time to earn Arsene Wenger’s side a 2-2 draw after the Reds had twice taken the lead in a pulsating match.

United went in front on the stroke of half-time when Gallas turned in Wayne Rooney's effort with his arm. Cesc Fabregas drew the hosts level three minutes after the restart when the Reds were slow to react in their own box, but Ronaldo then put United 2-1 up eight minutes from time. Victory was then in United's grasp until Gallas intervened again.

Sir Alex Ferguson made two changes to the side that had thrashed Middlesbrough a week ago with recalls for both Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra, who had missed the Boro win through injury. The Reds boss also had significant options on the bench with Louis Saha and Michael Carrick back in the frame after returning from knee and elbow injuries respectively. Tomasz Kuszczak, Nani and John O’Shea took up the remaining sub spots.

Arsene Wenger, meanwhile, stuck with the same eleven who earned a point at Anfield last weekend. Both sides went into the game in top form - the Gunners unbeaten with six league wins out of six on their own patch, while United had eight consecutive league victories under their belt.

The game began at a frantic pace as both sets of players took time to settle. Arsenal’s first sight of goal arrived on 10 minutes with Gael
Clichy firing in a cross for Emmanuel Adebayor but his header was off target. A minute later, Carlos Tevez fired an effort wide of Manuel Almunia’s right-hand post after a fizzed centre from Ryan Giggs.

Shouts for an Arsenal penalty rang round the Emirates 15 minutes in when Aleksandr Hleb went down under Nemanja Vidic’s clumsy challenge. Replays showed the Serbian centre-back had a handful of Hleb’s shirt, but referee Howard Webb, a somewhat fussy officiator throughout, waved away the Gunners’ appeals.

Two minutes later Ryan Giggs, making his 37th appearance against Arsenal, poked the ball just wide after an excellent break from United and a fine cross from Ronaldo into the Welshman's path at the back post. The Reds’ skipper fired an effort just over the bar soon after, picking up Tevez’s deflected knock down before turning and hitting it first time. Almunia looked to have covered had it been on target.

United seemed content to let Arsenal have possession and play on the counter-attack with the Reds’ backline and midfield duo of Anderson and Owen Hargreaves standing firm. Kolo Toure found a glimmer of an opening after exchanging passes with Hleb just before the half hour but his shot flew over.

Arsenal’s possession percentage continued to grow as the half drew to a close and their best chance of the opening period duly arrived on 36 minutes. Fabregas whipped in a free kick to the near post where William Gallas stooped in front of Patrice Evra to head the ball goalwards. Edwin van der Sar saved well with his legs as United’s travelling army breathed a sigh
of relief.

Having gone so close at one end to opening the scoring, it was Gallas who got the final touch as United made the vital breakthrough in first half injury time. Wes Brown shrugged off a challenge from Hleb, before slotting the ball into Ronaldo who in fired a low cross. Rooney took a swing at it at the near post with the last touch coming off Gallas and past Almunia.

After a somewhat cagey opening 45 the game burst into life three minutes after the restart. Having looked so solid in defence during the first half, United found themselves stretched for the first time in the match and it led to Arsenal's equaliser. Van der Sar bravely blocked Adebayor’s effort and as the ball ran loose, Bacary Sagna was quickest to react slotting the ball into Fabregas’ path. The Spaniard picked his spot and fired into the bottom corner.  

Fabregas found the target again three minutes before the hour mark, curling a low free kick under the United wall. Thankfully, van der Sar was alert to the situation grasping the ball on the line.

United continued to weather the Arsenal storm and went close through Rooney on 64 minutes. The England front man picked up the ball in midfield after Fabregas had given possession away and slipped a pass through to Giggs. The Welshman chipped a superb cross back into Rooney’s path, but the striker was unable to guide his header on target.

Rooney flicked a ball through to Evra soon after but the Frenchman's cut-back eluded Ronaldo who was unable to get there in front of a cluster of Arsenal
defenders.

Ronaldo was not to be denied eight minutes from time, however, as United snatched the lead once more. Saha, on for Tevez, slid a superb ball into the onrushing Evra who crossed brilliantly for Ronaldo to simply slot the ball home.

The drama was not finished though as Arsenal went in search of another equaliser. As the game entered added time the Gunners grabbed a point through Gallas who guided the ball home brilliantly from a tight angle. Van der Sar looked to have saved it, but an eagle-eyed linesman spotted that the Dutchman was behind his goal line when he parried the ball clear. It was a sickening moment for the Reds who were so close to avenging their loss to Thierry Henry’s late goal last season.

It felt like a defeat when the final whistle sounded but many United fans would have taken a point before kick-off, and it could prove to be a vital point in the long run.

Teams

Arsenal: Almunia; Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy; Eboue (Walcott, 74), Flamini, Fabregas, Rosicky (Eduardo, 81); Hleb (Gilberto, 81), Adebayor. Subs not used: Lehmann, Diarra

Booked: Fabregas

United: van der Sar; Brown (O'Shea 71), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Anderson (Carrick, 76), Hargreaves, Giggs; Tevez (Saha, 76), Rooney. Subs not used: Kuszczak, Nani

Booked: Evra, Hargreaves

Attendance: 60,161
03/11/2007 16:06, Report by Chris McKenna

League: Blues close the gap

Chelsea moved closer to the coat-tails of United and Arsenal on Saturday by winning 2-0 at Wigan.

Goals from Frank Lampard and Juliano Belletti sealed a fourth consecutive league win to nil for the Blues, who were the better team throughout at the JJB Stadium.

Liverpool were unable to gain any ground on the leaders, drawing 0-0 at Blackburn.

Elsewhere in the Barclays Premier League, Portsmouth scored three times in eleven minutes on their way to a 4-1 win away at Newcastle.Goals from Pamarot, Utaka and Benjani gave Pompey a flying start. An own goal by Sol Campbell gave Newcastle hope but there was no comeback and Kronjcar finished the game off with a free kick on 71 minutes.
At the Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough’s Luke Young earned a draw for his team after Darren Bent gave Tottenham the lead.
Aston Villa secured a 2-0 win against Derby County with goals from Martin Laursen and Ashley Young at Villa Park.

Saturday's other matches in the top flight resulted in 3-1 home wins for Everton and Fulham, against Birmingham City and Reading respectively.

TeamPGDPTS1 Arsenal11+15272 Man Utd12+15273 Chelsea12+10244 Portsmouth12+10225 Blackburn11+6226 Man City11+222
Results: 3 Nov
Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd
Aston Villa 2-0 Derby
Blackburn 0-0 Liverpool
Everton 3-1 Birmingham
Fulham 3-1 Reading
Middlesbrough 1-1 Tottenham
Newcastle 1-4 Portsmouth
Wigan 0-2 Chelsea

03/11/2007 15:32, Report by Chris McKenna

Fans: Draw was a fair result

United fans have been dissecting the 2-2 draw with Arsenal on our messageboards.
Here are some of the comments posted so far on www.manutd.com/talkingreds.
Kris Rave
“2-2 is a fair result. Still makes you sick as we conceded again in the dying minutes to Arsenal. They bossed the game but we carried more threat going forward. We are both great teams and this game showed why.”
Relly
“Good game, especially the second half. Probably a fair result, but it hurts the way it came about. Rooney was awesome today as was Evra, once he got that warning after the card he seemed to calm down and defended well and was very good going forward, his run and cross for Ronaldo's goal was awesome."
Sally 77
“Gutted it ended in that manner, however looking at the bigger picture it is not such a bad result. We probably didn't deserve to win, although we had the better chances. Arsenal will get all the plaudits but not many teams will go to the Emirates and lead twice?”
Patrick Esche
“It was a fair result, one has to admit that they are a great side and with their attitude deserved the draw. It's frustrating to concede an equaliser like that, but it says much about the quality of our side that Arsenal barely managed to get a draw against us at home.”
Have your say on the match at www.manutd.com/talkingreds.

06/11/2007 07:49

Blog: 21 not out

It's 21 years to the day since Sir Alex took over from Ron Atkinson at Old Trafford. Here, the Reds' boss takes time out from preparations for Wednesday's Champions League clash to offer his thoughts on what's been an incredible tenure...

Irresistible
It's amazing to think I've been here for 21 years. I've certainly had the key to the door for a while now! But Old Trafford is such a busy place and time just seems to fly. When I was at Aberdeen I turned down a few offers but when the opportunity came to join Manchester United I couldn't say no.

The Teacher
I admit Sir Matt Busby was a factor in my decision… when I was a kid I once went to see United play just because I knew Sir Matt would be there. His reputation in Scotland was massive and only enhanced by what he'd done at Old Trafford. He was very welcoming when I first came to the club and I used to really enjoy the chats we used to have. He genuinely wanted me to do well and I always remember the advice he gave me about the press: he told me not to read it!

The Current Crop
I guess I have to think about retiring at some stage but I still have plenty of ambition here and these young lads make me feel younger. I'm proud of the current team – they need a little bit of direction at times but they're showing fantastic enthusiasm for the game and there's a great spirit among them. At last Friday's training session I had to get Carlos [Queiroz] to tell them to stop because it was too good. We were due to play Arsenal the next day and I wanted them to keep that kind of football for the Saturday!
Goodbye is the hardest part
As anyone in business will tell you, managing change is the most difficult thing. You form emotional attachments to players that you regard almost as family, people who have served you so well for many years. But at some stage you need to take a decision to move someone on. That's probably the hardest part.

In the last few years I've had to let Nicky Butt and Phil Neville go. Those two players, without question, embodied the spirit of this club and were United nuts, which made it even harder. That's where the difficulties come in.

Some decisions are hard to make and some decisions are made for you. Eric Cantona made his own decision and so did Peter Schmeichel, even though I tried to persuade him to stay. Roy Keane came to the point where I felt he had to move on and, more recently, we had Ole Gunnar Solskjaer retire.

Experience doesn't make those decisions any easier. If anything, it makes you a little colder. You know you've been down that road before and you have to do what's best for the football club. I'm employed by Manchester United and I always have to put that hat on when it comes to making those business decisions.
06/11/2007 09:06, Report by Nick Coppack

Neville wants Euro resolution

Gary Neville will be cheering United as loud as any fan when Dynamo Kyiv come to Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

A win will see the Reds secure early qualification to the Champions League knockout phase… and, Neville says, improve his chances of adding to his appearance tally.

"We're now in a really strong position where we just need to win one game… then maybe those players who haven't been playing for the last eight months can get on the pitch for the matches that don't matter so much!" the United skipper told Manchester United Radio.

Neville's not played a first-team match since March after damaging his ankle against Bolton Wanderers but played almost 60 minutes for United's Reserves in last week's 6-1 win over Stockport County in the Manchester Senior Cup.

Meanwhile, Sir Alex's side beat Dynamo Kyiv 4-2 a fortnight ago and many have tipped the Reds to continue their free-scoring form on Wednesday night. Neville's certainly confident United can beat the Ukrainian champions, although he's not convinced we'll see a glut of goals.

"I think Kyiv will play a completely different game at Old Trafford. They'll sit behind the ball, play on the counter attack and it will be more difficult to break them down because they won't have the same kind of attacking ambitions this time.

"When you're in front of your home fans you're almost forced to attack but they won't have that same pressure on them this time.
"This time we're expected to win and why shouldn't we win? We're playing well, we're confident and this is a great chance for us to qualify at such an early stage of the competition.

"But we can't get carried away. We were in a similar position last year and made it hard for ourselves. And I remember when Kyiv came here in 2000 and nearly scored a late goal to knock us out of the Champions League. We have to be careful."
返回列表