返回列表 回復 發帖
25/09/2007 11:28, Report by Caroline Hunt

Sky Blues' forward thinking

After losing at home to Bristol City 10 days ago, the Sky Blues would have been hoping to get back on track at Ipswich on Saturday. Instead they slipped to a 4-1 defeat, making in manager Iain Dowie’s words “far, far too many defensive mistakes to ever win a football game”.

Not surprisingly the former Charlton boss is looking for a much tighter performance from his players at Old Trafford as they bid to succeed where Chelsea failed, but his ambitions stretch beyond simply trying to keep the Reds at bay.

“We'll have a system and a plan to work hard but we’ll go there and play, with attacking intent,” said Dowie. “We’ll commit players forward when we’re in possession: you cannot afford to sit behind the ball with Man United because eventually they’ll rip you apart – [Michael] Carrick or [Paul] Scholes will pick a pass to open you up.”

Just a few hundred fans made the trip to East Anglia at the weekend but vast numbers of Coventry supporters are expected to head up the M6 and Dowie is determined to make their trip worthwhile. “We have got 11-and-a-half thousand fans going. They deserve a glimmer of hope and we want to make sure they have something to cheer about.”

Nigel Eccles, editor of the Coventry fanzine Gary Mabbutt’s Knee, is no doubt hoping that the Championship side will at least make a contest of Wednesday night’s game, but admits on GMKonline.com that his mindset ahead of the OT clash is one of “wide-eyed innocence”, adding that, like most of those 11,000 Sky Blues fans making the trip, he’ll be travelling “mainly in hope rather than optimism.”

26/09/2007 20:37, Report by Ben Hibbs

Defeat shocks Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted he was “shocked and flabbergasted” by United’s performance in the 2-0 defeat to Coventry City.

A young Reds team never really got going against Iain Dowie’s men and that disappointed the boss, who had given a number of the club’s emerging talents the chance to shine on the first-team stage in front of 75,000 fans.

“You take it on the chin,” he told MUTV. “That was an absolutely flabbergasting performance, I didn’t expect that. I’m not interested in giving reasons, it was just a bad performance.

“We have shown great hope in the young players. It’s a big shock to us all.”

The challenge now for the up-and-coming players is to get over the defeat. “They will look at it and want to prove themselves,” added the boss. “Coventry made it a cup tie, that was certainly an issue in the first half. They were first to every ball and maybe some of our players were not used to that kind of cup football.

“And it was typical of cup football, after a great save from their goalkeeper, they go up the other end and kill the game.”

However, despite his clear disappointment in the display, the manager does not regret his policy of
giving eight players their first starts of the season so far.

“You have got to do that [give young players chances],” he said. “It wasn’t a surprise to look at the team tonight and see that we had made changes. These players have to have games.

"We hoped to get some of them games recently, but we’ve not been able to do it because I’ve had to keep the likes of Gerard Pique, Chris Eagles and Danny Simpson in the first-team squad [as cover for injuries], which means they are not getting any football. That was a problem. But this was a shock for us tonight.”

26/09/2007 20:38, Report by Gemma Thompson

Bitter pill to swallow for Pique

Gerard Pique admitted he felt "horrible" after United were sent crashing out of the Carling Cup by Coventry City.

The Sky Blues, backed by 11,000 buoyant fans, ran out 2-0 winners at Old Trafford thanks to a Michael Mifsud double.

Sir Alex Ferguson fielded a young and inexperienced United side and they were made to pay for some naive defending.

Pique says all the players involved are bitterly disappointed by the performance and result, but is hopeful they will be stronger for the experience.

"Looking up at the scoreboard at the final whistle and seeing 2-0 was a horrible feeling, especially when you're up against a Championship side at Old Trafford," he told MUTV.

"I thought we started the game well and had some good possession. But their first goal brought them alive. After the break we didn't feel good and when they scored the second it was a horrible feeling.

"We know we did a lot of things wrong, but you can always learn from these situations and hopefully we will grow as players."

The third round tie represented a perfect opportunity for United's young guns to showcase their talents. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

"Some people will think we've missed our chance," admitted Pique. "We're all very disappointed. We gave everything we could on the pitch, but things just didn't go our way."

26/09/2007 20:15, Report by Ben Hibbs

Report: United 0 Coventry 2

The Reds disappointingly bowed out of the Carling Cup on Wednesday night as Coventry striker Michael Mifsud struck twice to give Iain Dowie’s Championship side a 2-0 victory over a young United team.

Sir Alex Ferguson gave first-team run-outs to some of the club’s rising stars, but the Reds showed their inexperience against a well-organised and determined Coventry side. Some valuable lessons for these young players will undoubtedly have been learned.

The match arrived as a welcome distraction for Sir Alex’s side from Premier League and European duties. Most of all, it offered an opportunity for some of United’s up-and-coming players to show what they can do.

With the accent firmly on youth, Sir Alex selected a starting eleven with an average age of just 21, most notably with club debuts for centre-half Jonny Evans and full-back Danny Simpson. “Tonight’s team will be built around the talented young players now back with us after spending most of last season on loan,” the manager said in his programme notes. “We have an exceptionally gifted group of young men who are in critical need of a higher grade of football.”

Eight of the starting eleven – Nani, Anderson and John O’Shea excluded – were handed their first starts of 2007/08. As with all infrequently assembled sides, it took this United team time to find their feet, especially under busy close attention from Coventry’s players who were prepared to fight for every ball.

The Reds grew in confidence in the opening stages. Pique started solidly at the back, Lee Martin and Nani
looked dangerous as both players swapped flanks frequently, while Anderson showed nice touches and a wide-range of passes. After 17 minutes a good attacking move, starting with an Anderson pass to Nani that spliced Coventry’s defence, ended with Martin’s deflected volley going just wide.

Sir Alex wanted a test of his players, and he certainly got it. Coventry broke with a little over 20 minutes of the first half remaining, and in a move that ended with Sky Blues skipper Michael Doyle crossing for Michael Mifsud to tap home, they took the lead in the tie. The Maltese forward almost grabbed his, and Coventry’s, second moments later when he flicked Robbie Simpson’s cross onto the post.

The half ended virtually all Coventry, Simpson going close with a volley that dipped narrowly over Tomasz Kuszczak’s goal. Despite a bright start to the half, United lacked a little bit of composure in possession, as to be expected of young players. At the break, Fraizer Campbell injected pace into United’s attack, while Wes Brown came on for Phil Bardsley, and ten minutes into the second half, Sir Alex made a third change after Evans suffered a twisted ankle. Michael Carrick entered the fray to replace the Belfast born teenager.

Much like the first half, United began to step up the performance and for a period at the start of the second half looked to be edging towards an equaliser. After 52 minutes Nani tested Andy Marshall in Coventry’s goal with a long-range effort. Then Campbell fired a shot over the bar from outside the area, before three minutes later Dong had a shot inside the box saved by Marshall and Carrick’s follow-up was deflected
wide.

But, the second half followed a similar path to the first. And it was Coventry who struck the next telling blow, virtually killing the tie with 20 minutes remaining. Mifsud broke down the left, slipped past Pique and after playing a one-two with Jay Tabb, lashed his shot past Kuszczak.

Mifsud, Coventry’s star, spurned the opportunity of a rarity for a visiting player at Old Trafford – a hat-trick. When Kuszczak spilled Doyle’s low free-kick, the forward pounced first, but fired wide. It didn’t stop the 11,000-or-so Sky Blues fans from singing and celebrating to the very last. “Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be, we’re going to Wembley…” they sang ironically. But nobody could deny their fans or the team this moment.

For the Reds, this was perhaps an evening to forget. But with a trip to Birmingham City on Saturday and the visit of AS Roma next Tuesday, it very quickly becomes business as usual.

Team Line-ups

Manchester United: Kuszczak; Bardsley (Brown, 46), Pique, Evans (Carrick, 56), Simpson; Martin (Campbell, 46), O’Shea (c), Anderson, Nani; Eagles, Dong.
Subs not used: Heaton, A.Eckersley.

Coventry City: Marshall; Borrowdale, Ward, Turner, Osbourne (McNamee, 88); Simpson, Doyle (c), Hughes, Tabb, Mifsud; Best (Adebola, 90).
Subs not used: Konstantopoulos, De Zeeuw, Thornton.

Attendance: 74,055
Papers: Diego backs Tevez
26/09/2007 09:07

Maradona tips Tevez for success
Diego Maradona has opened his heart about his love and admiration for Carlos Tevez - and backed his fellow Argentine to become a Manchester United legend. The former Argentina star has arranged a trip to England to watch Tevez in action at Old Trafford in their Premiership clash with Wigan on October 6. Maradona said: "Tevez is like a son to me - from the moment I met him I have felt like that. I met him six years ago when he was at Boca Juniors and instantly I could see he was going to be great. He reminded me of when I was his age - the hunger and the passion for the game. Every second he had a ball with him he was happy. He is a fantastic player. He is very strong on the ball and has amazing vision." The 46-year-old Argentine legend has also revealed his admiration for England star Wayne Rooney, who he believes will form a lethal partnership with Tevez. "Rooney is a fantastic player - young and fearless and has a passion for winning. As a pair Rooney and Tevez have everything. You just need to make sure their styles are suited - only time will tell."
John Cross, Daily Mirror
The tabloids all pick up on Sir Alex Ferguson's chat with Manchester United Radio, in which the United manager reveals that Wayne Rooney has been pestering him for inclusion against Coventry City.
The Mirror, meanwhile, speculates that Sir Alex will hand a shock first-team bow to 16-year-old Academy prospect Danny Welbeck against the Sky Blues.
Round up by Steve Bartram

27/09/2007 14:51, Report by Ben Hibbs

Giggs: We never panicked

Ryan Giggs says the secret to the Reds turning round a slow start to the season was simple: don’t panic.

United resume league duties on Saturday with a trip to St Andrews to take on Birmingham City. Sir Alex Ferguson’s side go into the match on the back of five straight wins (excluding last night’s defeat to Coventry City).

But hasn’t always been so rosy for the Reds. United opened the defence of the title with draws against Reading and Portsmouth followed by defeat to Manchester City, which had alarm bells ringing.

Giggs insists the players, Sir Alex and his team of coaches, never panicked.  "Outside the club there might have been a little bit of a panic after those first few matches but there was none inside," Giggs told PA.

"When you look at how experienced the manager is, and also some of the players I suppose, you knew we were capable of going on a decent run, which is what has happened. The performances were actually quite good in our first three games, it was only the results that weren't going for us.

"I guess the irony is that up until the Chelsea game, we had not played as well in the matches we have won as we did, certainly against Manchester City, when we created an unbelievable amount of chances but still lost."

Although Sunday’s win over Chelsea marked the first time United have scored more than one goal in a game this season. But, the Reds’ performances have been built on solid defensive foundations. "Everyone knows the main reason for our recent results is the way we have defended," he said. "At times, we have not played well but we have been resilient and with more positive results comes confidence and form.”

Papers: Reds no to Avram?
27/09/2007 09:30

United will vote for Avram ban
Manchester United want Avram Grant blocked from being Chelsea boss. The Red Devils will make a stand against the Israeli coach because he does not have the right coaching qualifications. Grant has been given 90 days by the Premier League to acquire the correct badges — but that is not enough time to complete the course. After that, it goes to a vote by all Premier League clubs to see if he can be allowed to carry on in his job while doing the course. But United will vote against as they feel strongly about coaching badges.
Neil Custis, The Sun
All the papers reflect on United's Carling Cup exit following the 2-0 defeat against Coventry City. Sir Alex Ferguson declared himself to be in a state of shock at the final whistle.
Round up by Gemma Thompson

26/09/2007 08:20, Report by Steve Bartram

Praise for versatile Wes

Sir Alex Ferguson admits Wes Brown is revelling as an interim right-back during Gary Neville's enforced injury absence.
The Reds' club captain is back in training after more than six months out of action, but Brown's recent outstanding displays have not gone unnoticed by the United manager.
"Wes Brown is a great substitute for Gary because he's a terrific defender," Sir Alex told Manchester United Radio.
"His two best performances have come against Sporting Lisbon and Chelsea. He's played his guts out in Gary's position."
United sit second in the Barclays Premier League table, despite a shot-shy start to the season, thanks to a miserly defence that has conceded just twice in seven games.

Edwin van der Sar was a virtual spectator in Sunday's win over Chelsea, and Sir Alex has been delighted with his side's collective defending.
"I must say, in home games this season, we've done that quite a lot," he said. "Reading and Sunderland hardly had a shot between them. I don't think we're doing a lot wrong.
"The team ethic has been good and everyone's working very hard to win the
ball back," Sir Alex said. "That's all down to team-work, all of them, not just one or two."
Sir Alex is hopeful that his side's 2-0 triumph over Chelsea – the Reds' first two-goal haul since April – will prompt a return to the traditionally goal-laden play United can produce.
"There's no question this club is built on goals," he said. "I was talking with Sir Bobby the other day and he said he'd never heard of four straight 1-0 wins. I said 'I'll be getting sacked soon!'.
"I'll take four 2-0 wins now. The way we attack and the way we play, of course you expect goals, but I think they'll come now."

28/09/2007 08:41, Report by Gemma Thompson

Giggs hopeful over new deal

Ryan Giggs is confident there will be no issues over a new contract with the club.

The Welsh winger's current deal expires next summer and he is keen to prolong his stay at Old Trafford.

Preliminary talks are already underway and Giggs does not foresee any upcoming hurdles over the deal.

"There has been a brief chat so hopefully it will get sorted out sooner rather than later," he told MEN Sport as he launched United's charity partnership with Francis House in Didsbury.

"There have never really been any problems ever with my contracts. Maybe two or three years ago there was a little problem but not a massive one. There is trust there and that comes from around 16 years in the first team. If I am playing well everything else will look after itself.

"It is not something I worry myself about," he adds. "You could easily get caught up in 'I have only got a year left so I need to play well' and put that added extra pressure on yourself.

"Pressure playing for United in itself is enough. You don't want to put added pressure on. I don't think I need to play well in this game and then that one or else I won't be offered a contract. I don't think about that. I just try and enjoy it."

Giggs is now just 36 United appearances away from breaking Sir Bobby’s Charlton’s all-time United appearance record of 759 matches. The 33-year-old refuses to put a date on when he'll bring the curtain down on his glittering career, insisting that as long as he
feels fit and able, he will carry on for as long as possible.

"I never give a thought to how long I can go on. I don't think you can afford to," he admits. "I feel the more I enjoy my game the better I play. That has been the case over the last few years because I know I am coming to the end of my career. I am out to enjoy myself.

"On Monday morning [after the Chelsea game] I thought I only had a week left in the game because I was knackered! But generally I feel good.

"I just have to look to the near future and concentrate on that. I don’t look beyond a season. I don’t even look beyond a week if I am honest."

28/09/2007 08:55, Report by Gemma Thompson

Saha: I'll prove doubters wrong

Louis Saha is determined to prove the doubters wrong after finally overcoming his latest injury battle.

The French striker was unable to play a full part in the final couple of months of last season’s title-winning campaign because of a knee problem.

An operation ensued over the summer which kept him out of action until the beginning of this month, when he made a goalscoring return against Sunderland. He netted again last weekend, converting a last minute penalty to seal a 2-0 win over Chelsea.

Saha says he is beginning to feel like his old self once more and is hoping to silence the critics who believe he doesn’t have the mental strength to succeed.

“Anyone who says I am not willing to play until I am 100 per cent fit is not telling the truth,” he insists. “I have never refused to play for the team, yet last season I was hearing claims about me not being psychologically committed.

"The people who criticise me don't know that three years ago I was playing games despite having a knee that I couldn't bend more than 90 degrees.

“I now feel I am close to last year’s top form,” he adds. “I am not far away and the more minutes I gain on the pitch, the better I will play.

“My aim this year is to stay fit and show people the real Louis Saha.”

29/09/2007 18:45, Report by Nick Coppack

Boss: Reds roll on

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted with the win at St. Andrews but quick to praise Steve Bruce's Birmingham City.

"I think we're getting towards top gear," the boss told Setanta Sports. "You could see signs of that today. Some of the movement up front was very good. Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez are big threats for all our opponents, and the forward line is looking much better now.

"I actually thought Birmingham were by far the better team in the first half, although we did carve out some good chances for ourselves. They played very well and you have to give them full credit. I would say it was the hardest game of the season so far."

Sir Alex later told MUTV he was relieved to keep Birmingham at bay in the early stages and said Bruce's Blues had unsettled his players with their physical attributes.

"They were very aggressive, very quick about the pitch," he said. "They were a real handful for us. Even at 1-0 we were just praying to get through the match. Late on, they kept pumping balls into the box but we coped with that well. They're a big side, very athletic, and we had to be on our toes in the second half. It's a good result for us, a very good result.

"We only scored once but we were away from home and you have to give Birmingham credit. Ronaldo's goal might have come from a mistake by one of their players but his composure in beating the mean, beating the goalkeeper and then putting it into the net was excellent. He was sensational today. The boy is so good it's frightening. His capabilities are unending."

29/09/2007 19:28, Report by Gemma Thompson

Ronaldo: My best is yet to come

After netting United's winner against Birmingham City, Cristiano Ronaldo insisted his best form is still to come.

The winger's 52nd minute solo effort at St. Andrews was his second goal of the season and gave United a fifth successive league victory.

Ronaldo, who bagged 23 goals last season, has been happy with his recent form but says he is yet to hit top gear.

"My form is coming," he told MUTV. "I always try to work hard in training and hopefully I will keep improving and more goals will come as well.

"But my main concern is the team - I think only about that. The most important thing in football is getting the three points and I was pleased we did that against Birmingham."

The 22-year-old admitted United rode their luck at times against Steve Bruce's men, but still felt they deserved the win.

"It was a very tough game against a good team. They created a few difficult moments for us, but thankfully we managed to keep them out," he said.

"We didn't play as well as we can, but sometimes you can win matches without playing well.

"Our good football is coming. We have great players at the club and great staff and we will improve."

29/09/2007 20:48, Report by Nick Coppack

Edwin to miss Roma clash

Edwin van der Sar will miss AS Roma's Champions League visit on Tuesday after injuring his toe at St. Andrews in the Reds' 1-0 win.

The Dutch goalkeeper fell awkwardly after what appeared to be a routine gather mid-way through the first half and United manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed he would now be sent for a scan. He played on after receiving treatment – Rio Ferdinand assumed goal kick responsibilities – but failed to reappear for the second half.

His replacement, Tomasz Kuszczak, kept the Reds in the game with a superb reaction save moments after Cristiano Ronaldo had sent United into the lead.

In his post-match interview on MUTV, Sir Alex confirmed Kuszczak will now be handed his Champions League debut against the Giallorossi on Tuesday.

"I think Edwin's damaged his toe - to what extent I don't know but we'll send him for a scan," the boss said. "He'll be out for Tuesday, that's for certain. It's a worry when you lose a man of his experience but Tomasz Kuszczak is very able and I'm pleased we've got someone as good as that."

29/09/2007 18:48, Report by Chris McKenna

Bruce rues missed chances

Steve Bruce rued Birmingham's missed chances but was happy with his side's performance against the Reds.

The ex-United defender was disappointed the Blues failed to convert their first-half opportunities.

"I feel a bit disappointed because I don’t think we are going to have a better chance to beat United," Bruce told Setanta Sports. "We needed to take one of the chances in the first half but we weren’t quite good enough on the day.

"You don’t get many opportunities against United, as their record shows."

However, the Blues' boss was happy with his side's spirited display against the visitors.

"The way we played, the way we passed the ball, the way we competed with United, our defensive shape was very good,” he insisted. “We just needed that killer touch and unfortunately it didn’t come for us.

"We have played arguably the big three teams [in the league]. And against one of the big teams that was the best performance we have put up."
29/09/2007 17:49, Report by Gemma Thompson

League: Blues drop points

Following on from their 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford last Sunday, Chelsea dropped more vital points after they could only manage a 0-0 draw with Fulham.

The Blues failed to find a way past their South London neighbours at Stamford Bridge and also had Didier Drogba sent off on 74 minutes. Skipper John Terry could be out for up to six weeks after fracturing a cheekbone in the first half.

Fellow title contenders Arsenal and Liverpool both enjoyed away victories. The Gunners secured a 1-0 win at West Ham thanks to a Robin van Persie goal, while Yossi Benayoun's 75th minute strike gave Rafael Benitez's men victory at Wigan.

In the day's early kick-off, Manchester City maintained their impressive start to the season with a 3-1 win over Newcastle at Eastlands thanks to goals from Martin Petrov, Emile Mpenze and Elano.

There was a goal feast at Fratton Park as Portsmouth ran out 7-4 winners against Reading. Pompey striker Benjani netted a hat-trick, while Hermann Hreidarsson, Niko Kranjcar, Sean Davis and Sulley Muntari also got on the scoresheet.

The battle between the ex-Reds at the Stadium of Light ended in Mark Hughes' favour as Blackburn earned a 2-1 win over Roy Keane's Sunderland side.

Elsewhere, Derby and Bolton drew 1-1 at Pride Park. Kenny Miller gave the home side the lead, but his effort was cancelled out by Nicolas Anelka's 20-yard deflected shot.

TeamPGDPTS1 Arsenal7+12192 Man Utd8+5173 Man City8+5164 Liverpool7+10155 Portsmouth8+3126 Blackburn7+212
Results: 29 SeptChelsea 0-0 Fulham
Derby 1-1 Bolton
Man City 3-1 Newcastle
Portsmouth 7-4 Reading
Sunderland 1-2 Blackburn
West Ham 0-1 Arsenal
Wigan 0-1 Liverpool
Birmingham 0-1 Man Utd
返回列表