返回列表 回復 發帖
02/10/2007 14:03, Report by Steve Bartram

Choccy satisfied despite defeat

Brian McClair was more than satisfied with the Reserves' performance at Blackburn Rovers on Monday evening, despite a narrow defeat.
Jamie Clarke's first-half penalty handed the hosts all three points, but United's industry was unfortunate not to yield an equaliser after the break.
"The game was a bit frustrating, but I was pleased with the performance," McClair told MUTV after the game. "I think it was a good, honest performance.
"They got a penalty, which I think is probably the only shot they had on target, but I think we did particularly well. I think it’s been the story of our season so far, with the U18s and the game tonight – we just can’t seem to put the ball in the net."
Sam Hewson's late penalty was saved by Rovers goalkeeper Gunnar Nielsen to rub salt into the Reds' wounds, and McClair is confident that his side will start getting breaks in the near future.
"Sometimes it’s just a little bit of fortune you need to get a goal," he said. "We created some nice opportunities, particularly in the second half, which is positive.
"All these boys need to play games and have some time to get into some kind of form. When they do, you’ll see their actual talent coming through."

01/10/2007 13:21, Report by Ben Hibbs

Defensive injuries hit Reds

The Reds have some defensive injury concerns ahead of AS Roma's visit to Old Trafford on Tuesday.

Edwin van der Sar had already been ruled out with a toe injury, he is now expected to miss the next "couple of weeks". Just as worringly, Sir Alex Ferguson is waiting anxiously to learn of the fitness of Nemanja Vidic and Wes Brown, who both picked up knocks during the 1-0 win over Birmingham City on Saturday.

"They are both doubts," he said at his pre-match press conference. "We'll have to wait on them. Neither trained Monday morning, and you don't really want players missing training the day before games. It will be difficult for us [if they don't play]."

With Gary Neville still out, Sir Alex will call on John O'Shea at right-back, while Vidic would be replaced by 20-year-old Spanish defender Gerard Pique.

The Reds could, however, be boosted by the return of midfielder Owen Hargreaves. The 26-year-old trained on Monday and is rated as a “possibility” by Sir Alex. The United boss did admit that he would have preferred Hargreaves, who hasn’t played since the start of September, to have more playing time under his belt.

“Owen trained on Monday with the team. He’s a possibility,” added Sir Alex. “I’d like him to have had some more football ahead of what is an important game. European football is a different game of course, in terms of speed and tactics. But we’ll see.”

But given the absence of van der Sar’s wealthy experience and the potential lack of Vidic and Brown – both outstanding so far this season – the manager may be tempted to throw Hargreaves into action to protect United’s back four.
Papers: Ron reveals torment
02/10/2007 08:52

Ronaldo: I 'tortured' Roma
Cristiano Ronaldo aims to sink Roma again tonight after revealing how their players begged him to stop tormenting them during their emphatic 7-1 defeat to Manchester United. Roma return to Old Trafford tonight for the first time since last season's humiliating loss and Ronaldo, who terrorised the Italians with two goals and a hand in two others in April, revealed how one of Roma's beleaguered men pleaded with him to stop his tricks. Ronaldo said: "When we were already winning 6-0 one of their players said 'don't do any more dribbles, you're already winning by six', almost begging. Obviously I won't reveal his name, as these are comments brought about by occurrences in the game. But these comments are worthless, for I keep playing exactly the same way." Ronaldo, who made the Roma revelations in his new book, Moments, will be singled out for special attention by Roma tonight, given the demolition job he performed last time.
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror
Meanwhile the tabloids all feast on quotes dished up at Monday's pre-match press conference. The main stories are Wayne Rooney's admission that - were he a Roma player - he would be relishing the opportunity for revenge, while Sir Alex Ferguson is similarly wary of the Italians' thirst for vengeance.
Round up by Steve Bartram
03/10/2007 12:00, Report by Nick Coppack

Edwin back at Villa

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Edwin van der Sar's toe injury is a recurrence of a knock that forced the stopper out of Holland's recent friendly against Switzerland.

The 36-year-old collided with Liverpool forward and international team-mate Dirk Kuyt during a Dutch training session on 21 August but recovered in time to face Tottenham at Old Trafford that weekend.

Van der Sar aggravated the injury at St. Andrews in United's 1-0 win last Saturday and United boss Ferguson says the goalkeeper is likely to miss "a couple of games".

"He picked up an injury training with Holland some weeks ago and it's resurfaced," Sir Alex told United Radio. "We'll give him a few days' break and it looks like we'll have him back for our trip to Villa Park [on Saturday 20 October]."

Ferguson insisted van der Sar's problem wasn't serious and ruled out any suggestion that United's no.1 had become the latest victim of a broken metatarsal.

"Every time a player goes down holding his foot these days you get people talking about metatarsals, but it's not that. It's a toe injury and he should be back in a couple of games."
02/10/2007 21:33, Report by Ben Hibbs

Rooney feels for Roma

Wayne Rooney ruined Roma's hopes of revenge at Old Trafford with a match-winning second-half strike, but the United forward says the Italians perhaps deserved a point in the tie.

Rooney was the architect of the Reds' 70th-minute breakthrough. But United were holding after Cristiano Ronaldo went off with a cut to his head, leaving Sir Alex's side with ten men having used all three substitutes. Francesco Totti and Mauro Esposito both missed second-half chances to give the Giallorossi the goal that would have earned them a valuable point.

"Roma played really well," Wayne told Sky Italia. "We knew it'd be more difficult this time. The fair result was probably a draw as they had a lot of good chances.”

Rooney's finish was expertly executed, latching onto Nani's poked through-ball before angling his drive just inside the post for his first goal of the season. "I had to take it as early as I could," he said. "I saw the defender coming across and had to see it past him and the goalkeeper to the far post.

"I've played against Roma three times now and scored three goals, so I’m pleased with that. We played OK, but Roma did well and the fair result was a draw, fortunately we managed to hold on."
02/10/2007 20:40, Report by Nick Coppack

Report: United 1 Roma 0

There was no repeat of April's Roman demolition but United did enough to take all three points against an Italian side desperate to avenge last season's embarrassing defeat.

The Reds dominated for large spells but couldn't force the ball in during the first half. In the end, it was Wayne Rooney who broke the deadlock with a predatory strike in the 70th minute to hand Sir Alex yet another European scalp.

The United boss opted for pace down the flanks in his team selection, picking both Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani at the expense of the experienced Ryan Giggs.
Louis Saha was handed his first start since February, while John O'Shea slotted in at right back for the injured Wes Brown. There was no Owen Hargreaves in the squad, although Nemanja Vidic passed a late fitness test to take his spot in the centre of defence alongside Rio Ferdinand.

In goal, Tomasz Kuszczak made his European debut and he had to be alert as early as the 10th minute when Francesco Totti fired a long-range effort straight at the Pole. It did little to trouble Kuszczak but suggested last season's European Golden Boot winner had once again adopted the shoot-on-sight policy we saw here at Old Trafford in April.

Of course, on that occasion, United went 3-0 up before 20 minutes. Tonight, the pace was less frenetic in the opening exchanges, as the new-look Roma back four stood firm against United's two-pronged strikeforce of Rooney and Saha.

Nani unwittingly came close on 17 minutes when he stretched to keep a Rio Ferdinand pass in play and the
ball cannoned off his shin and across the six-yard box.
Two minutes later, the Portuguese winger earned a free kick when Lancashire-born Simone Perrotta caught him 25 yards from goal. Ronaldo lined up the ball but blasted the set-piece into the Italian wall.

It began a period of real dominance for the Reds, with Nani and Ronaldo again involved moments later. United had a half-hearted penalty appeal for handball turned down after a Nani pass struck a Roma defender on the arm. But there was more concern for the Italians in the next phase of play, as Nani whipped in a curling cross that Ronaldo narrowly directed over the bar from six yards.

The summer signing from Sporting Lisbon went close himself on 27 minutes when an in-swinging cross from the left-wing forced goalkeeper Curci to athletically tip the ball clear. Louis Saha then stung Curci's palms before a Totti free kick kept Kuszczak alert at the other end.

But it was all United and once again it was Nani who fashioned a chance for the Reds. This time he beat De Rossi on the left before curling a ball to the back post where Wayne Rooney volleyed over from close range.

Curci required treatment shortly afterwards when he collided with Saha at a United corner but the Italian stopper recovered sufficiently to continue and ensure Roma went to the break on level terms. He'd certainly been the busier goalkeeper, although Roma manager Luciano Spalletti would have been pleased to go into the dressing room at 0-0.

Sir Alex told ITV during the break he expected
the Reds to take a few more risks in the second half and Ronaldo fired a low cross into the box early on. But it was Francesco Totti who perhaps should have put the visitors ahead in the 48th minute. Nemanja Vidic slipped in the penalty area, allowing Totti space. With Kuszczak bearing down on the striker, Totti was forced to take the chance early but could only clip the ball over both goalkeeper and crossbar.

It was a lively start to the second period and Nani almost illuminated the match further when his cross-come-shot brushed the top of the Roma crossbar after he'd carved open the Italian defence on the edge of the penalty area.

Wayne Rooney forced a smart save from Curci at his near post on 65 minutes before Cristiano Ronaldo found the net on 69 minutes with a cheeky backheel. To the Reds' dismay, the Portuguese winger was ruled offside and he was denied a second European goal in as many games.

There was no doubting the validity of Wayne Rooney's strike a minute later. The England international latched onto Nani's clever pass to fire a first-time drive across Curci and in off the far post to send United ahead. It was Rooney's first goal of the season and no more than he deserved after a night of tireless running and clever interchange play.

Carlos Tevez almost made it 2-0 when he flashed a shot inches wide from long range before Rio Ferdinand blocked a Ludovic Giuly shot that may well have been heading into the far corner.

But Roma's best chances were still to come, with Max Tonetto miscuing a volley at the back post in
the 82nd minute before substitute Ahmed Esposito blasted wide with the goal at his mercy and just three minutes on the clock. That opportunity arrived with the Reds down to 10 men, after Ronaldo, bloodied and groggy from a Mirko Vucinic elbow, had disappeared down the tunnel a minute earlier to receive four stitches.

Even with a numerical disadvantage, Sir Alex's men hung on for a satisfying three points… even if they didn't arrive in quite the same fashion as April's epic 7-1.

Attendance: 73, 652

United: Kuszczak; O'Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra; Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo, Nani (Giggs 80); Rooney (Anderson 85), Saha (Tevez 66)

Subs not used: Heaton, Pique, Simpson, Eagles

AS Roma: Curci; Cicinho, Juan, Mexes, Tonetto; De Rossi, Aquilani (Pizarro 61), Giuly (Esposito 80), Perrotta, Mancini (Vucinic 74); Totti

Subs not used: Sergio, Antunes, Barusso, Brighi

UEFA Champions League Group F
Old Trafford, 2 Oct

MANCHESTER UNITED 1
(Rooney 70)

AS ROMA 0

02/10/2007 21:00, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex: We rode our luck

Sir Alex Ferguson says United were slightly fortunate to beat AS Roma 1-0 after the Italian side spurned a host of chances at Old Trafford.

The Reds took the lead after 70 minutes following a sublime strike from Wayne Rooney. But Roma had 16 chances throughout the match, most notably with Francesco Totti and substitute Mauro Esposito missing the target from close range.

Tomasz Kuszczak was called into action numerous occasions, and Sir Alex was pleased with the 25-year-old's display.

"He made a couple of good saves and made a good block in the second half," he said. "Roma had a few good chances and maybe we can count ourselves a little lucky."

United are yet to reach top form both domestically and in Europe this term. But the important thing is that the results keep on coming, and Sir Alex is confident the Reds will soon be back to the team's best.

"We've got the players," he told ITV Sport. "Sometimes you go through these spells [where you don't score many goals] but it won't last forever. Some day we're going to hit a few goals. Hopefully that will come soon. All the players are working hard and all showing a lot of experience.

"I'm pleased with the win because Roma are a good team, it was a good game and a good European night. It was a bit tactical at times but a good result for us."
Of Rooney's match-winning strike, the boss said: "It was marvellous, similar to the one he scored against AC Milan. Great passing and a great finish."
03/10/2007 09:59, Report by Nick Judd

At home with Ronaldo

As Cristiano Ronaldo looks to build on his winning goal at Birmingham, off the pitch he likes to stay clear of the limelight.

In a series of extracts from new book Moments - on sale now - he allows Inside United readers into a typical day in the life of a global football star. From cooking after training to spending £2,000 on stamps and watching quiz shows on television, Ron tells all about how he prepares himself for a Saturday afternoon in the colours of the world’s biggest club.

“I think that this image of the quiet, stay-at-home Cristiano Ronaldo goes against the one that most people have of me,” he explains. “The people who really know me will tell you that I am a very quiet person who enjoys the simple things in life: I enjoy staying at home, watching television, listening to music, and I like my rest.”

When it comes to television, it’s all about self-education for the Portuguese star. As for his taste in music, let’s just say a career behind the mic in future years isn’t beyond the realms of possibility…

which is on every day on the public Portuguese TV channel, RTP1. At home, all of us play the part of contestants. I do not like to lose. Therefore, when I think I am right and someone questions me, I run over to the computer to search the internet to settle the argument once and for all.

“I also enjoy singing. Obviously, as you will imagine, there are many differences between the player Ronaldo and the singer Ronaldo. But with a few lessons, who knows, maybe I can make it? At least maybe one day I will be able to sing well enough to be a part of the chorus on one of my sister Cátia’s next CDs!”

Read more about Ronaldo’s home life in the new issue of Inside United out now
“I used to watch Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, but these days I watch the contest One Versus 100,

02/10/2007 21:11, Report by Ben Hibbs

Owen sidelined

Owen Hargreaves has been ruled out for up to a month, Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed.

The Reds midfielder is to have an injection in his knee to try and cure the tendonitis problems he has been suffering from.

"He will have an injection in his knee," confirmed the boss on MUTV. "It was an option that we had some weeks ago, but after training on Monday he was feeling it and we just have to go ahead and give him the injection.
"Hopefully that's the end of it and he comes back 100 per cent."

The 26-year-old had been tipped to play against Roma on Tuesday at Old Trafford, but his name was again absent from the team-sheet. The former Bayern Munich midfielder's start to his United career has been blighted by injuries and he hasn't played since the win over Sunderland on 1 September.

Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo, who was forced off against Roma in the final five minutes of the match, has had four stitches to the head wound he suffered against the Italians.

02/10/2007 21:18, Report by Nick Coppack

Patient Saha hails Reds

Louis Saha admits he'd like to see United score more goals but emphasised the greater need to continue picking up three points.

"The main concern is always three points," Saha told MUTV after Tuesday night's 1-0 win over AS Roma. "We do want to get back to scoring goals because we are Manchester United and that's what this club is all about, but sometimes the main thing is the result."

Saha, who's been sidelined for much of the year through injury, started his first match for the Reds since an FA Cup run-out in February and said his fitness is improving with every outing.

"I've been waiting for my chance and working hard. Obviously my fitness is getting better all the time, so I'm very pleased."

It was Saha's strike partner, Wayne Rooney, who secured United's win and, with it, extended the Reds' Champions League record to two wins from two games.

"Wayne always seems to score on the big occasions and that's what happened again today," Saha said. "Roma played very well but Wayne settled the game with a great goal. It was an important result because we know it's going to be a tough game away in Kyiv. But six points from two games is fantastic and we took a big step towards qualifying with that win tonight."
02/10/2007 21:15, Report by Nick Coppack

Evra: Everybody's happy

Patrice Evra hailed United's 1-0 victory over AS Roma as "a great result" but warned there's still a long way to go before the Reds sew up qualification.

Wayne Rooney sealed the win in the 70th minute to send United top of Group F after just two games.

"Everybody's happy," Evra told MUTV after the match. "We played this game with a lot of professionalism and I'm delighted to win 1-0."

The Reds have now won six of the last eight games by the same scoreline and certain sections of the media are beginning to doubt United's firepower. Evra, however, isn't concerned by the narrow victories.

"Of course I'd prefer to score more goals, but we've won 1-0 and you still get the same number of points no matter if the score is 1-0, 7-1 or 2-0. It's still three points and I'm happy with that. I'm also very happy for Wayne Rooney. He's worked hard to come back from injury and it's great to see him score. It was a great result tonight."
The Frenchman refused to target the final in Moscow, preferring to focus on the next match.

"If you want to qualify then you have to win every game at home. The win in Lisbon was a bonus, tonight was a good result, and now we have to make sure we keep winning at home. It's a good start but we have to make sure we continue to work hard. Qualifying isn't easy and now we have to focus on Dynamo Kyiv away."
Papers: Ron in elbow attack
03/10/2007 08:18

Ronaldo hit by elbow
Cristiano Ronaldo claimed he was the victim of a vicious elbow which left him with a bloodied face as Wayne Rooney fired Manchester United to victory at Old Trafford. Ronaldo was forced off in the 86th minute with blood pouring from a cut above his left eye after a stray elbow from substitute Mirko Vucinic caught him full in the face. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson claimed he missed the incident, but revealed that Ronaldo - who needed four stitches in the wound - said he was deliberately struck in the face by Vucinic. "Cristiano said he was elbowed in the face," said Fergie. "He needed four stitches in his eyebrow. It was an unfortunate incident because the game was played in a great spirit. Considering what happened here last season, with Roma losing 7-1, it could have set off a course of problems."
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

Meanwhile, Sir Alex Ferguson predicted that Wayne Rooney is about to fire his team to top form as they recorded their sixth 1-0 victory of the season. "It's been difficult for Wayne because he's had an injury and he's just trying to find his true form. But we are beginning to play some better football and find some rhythm and I have no worries about Wayne."
Round up by Gemma Thompson

評分次數

• HIDE

05/10/2007 12:53, Report by Ben Hibbs

Striker conundrum for Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson will has the so-called selection headache to contend with as he deliberates over whether Louis Saha or Carlos Tevez should partner Wayne Rooney against Wigan on Saturday.

Saha started his first game since March on Tuesday, while Tevez has gradually been discovering his best form. Both offer something very different; Saha’s raw pace, aerial strength and physical presence versus Tevez’s creativity, skill and tireless determination.

“There’s a decision over which one I should play," says Sir Alex. "Both are fit and ready to play, no question about that, but as yet I’ve no idea who I will pick.

“We were encouraged by the vigorous performance Louis gave against Roma. He's got great physical presence and speed. I thought he was first-class bearing in mind it was his first start since March.

“He's excellent when he gets going, as we saw last year when he scored 12 goals before Christmas. If he'd remained fit he could got to 30. He’s a goal threat, whether it's in the air or with either foot.

“We're on the right path with him. We have to decide now whether we give him a second start or put him on the bench and bring him on later in the game, where he can be so important.”

However, Tevez, who scored his first United goal against Chelsea two weeks ago, has also laid claim to a starting berth. “The interesting thing was that Tevez showed against Roma that he can come off the bench and change the face of the game,” says the boss. “He brought a different problem for them, which helped at an important part of the game.”

05/10/2007 10:40, Report by Gemma Thompson & Ben Hibbs

Brown remains a doubt

A knee injury could keep Wes Brown out of United's Barclays Premier League clash with Wigan on Saturday.

The defender picked up the knock in the 1-0 win at Birmingham last Saturday and was subsequently ruled out of the Reds' Champions League victory over Roma on Tuesday.

He is still struggling with the injury and remains a doubt for Wigan's lunchtime visit to Old Trafford.

"Wes is a bit doubtful," revealed Sir Alex Ferguson at his pre-match press briefing. "I'm going to see how he is after training on Friday. But we've got cover in that area."

John O'Shea is likely to step into the right back slot, as he did against Roma. Meanwhile, Sir Alex says he has a choice to make between Ryan Giggs and Anderson as to who replaces the injured Michael Carrick in central midfield.

"Without Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Darren Fletcher, we have a job to do in terms of picking another centre midfield player," said the boss. "We've got Anderson and Giggs, and I think one of them could supply the answer to that."

05/10/2007 07:14, Report by Ben Hibbs

Hargreaves injury boost

Owen Hargreaves could be back sooner than the four-week prognosis initially prescribed for the tendonitis problem that has plagued the start to his United career.

The 26-year-old, who had an injection in his knee earlier this week to solve the problem, could be back in training in ten days, potentially reducing his spell out on the sidelines.

“It may be a bit less than [four weeks],” Sir Alex Ferguson said in an exclusive interview with Manchester United Radioahead of Saturday’s clash with Wigan.

“Owen should be back training in about ten days’ time, which is good news because he hasn’t had the best of luck. But, having the injection has been successful.”

Although Sir Alex will be keen not to rush the midfielder back, reducing his time on the sidelines could put the midfielder in contention for the league match against Middlesbrough on 27 October, a week before United take on Arsenal on 3 November.

That will come as a welcome relief to the United boss, who also midfield playmaker Michael Carrick ruled out for six weeks with a fractured elbow following an awkward fall during the 1-0 win over AS Roma at Old Trafford.

“It was a bad blow losing
Michael Carrick,” the boss said. “I went to shake his hand at the end of the game and he couldn’t lift his arm. I knew he was in pain, so we sent him for an x-ray and it confirmed it was a broken arm.

“It’s a blow especially as his last three performances have been spot on. That was the Michael Carrick of last season. I thought he had a slow start to the campaign, but he was gathering momentum again. He was superb against Chelsea, Birmingham and Roma.

“Fortunately, I’ve still got options,” added Sir Alex. “I can bring Ryan Giggs into midfield, or young Anderson, and John O’Shea can also play there. I’m not too bad, but nonetheless it’s a blow."

Listen to the full interview on 1413 AM with Manchester United Radio's build-up to Saturday's 12:45 BST kick-off against Wigan.
返回列表