返回列表 回復 發帖
Giggs eyes Pirates scalp

United winger Ryan Giggs admits winning isn’t everything during pre-season, although he’d love to put one over Orlando Pirates in Durban on Tuesday.

The Reds’ first match in the Vodacom Challenge, against Kaizer Chiefs in Cape Town, ended 1-1 after Chris Eagles cancelled out Jonathan Quartey’s opener.

And although Sir Alex’s side are guaranteed a spot in the competition’s final even if they lose to Orlando Pirates, Giggs would much prefer to get there on merit.

“The results here in South Africa aren’t the be all and end all,” he told MUTV. “Generally, the idea is to get fit and come through the games with no injuries.

“But winning is still important. We didn’t win the tournament last time we were here in 2006 [so we’d like to make up for that]. Besides, you want to get into the habit of winning games as soon as possible.”

The 34-year-old is enjoying his time in South Africa, largely due to the supporters’ hospitality.

“South Africa’s great. The fans are brilliant, just like anywhere else in the world where United go. I’ve experienced it before so I know what to expect, but it’s still special to arrive at the airport at 8am and see fans waiting for you.

“They were dancing and singing and put on a real South African welcome [when we touched down in Cape Town on Friday].

“It’s definitely good to be here and we’ll have some more tough games to play – it will be a real test.”
Real 'would be bad for Ronny'

Sir Alex Ferguson was at his most candid yet on Monday afternoon when asked about the future of Cristiano Ronaldo. The Reds boss firmly set out the facts that Ronaldo is contracted to United for four more years, adding that a move to Real Madrid would be “the worst thing he could do”.

The 23-year-old winger, who is currently recovering after an ankle operation that will keep him for around three months, has been the subject of much speculation linking him with a move to Real Madrid this summer.

United have stated throughout that Ronaldo will not be leaving, while Sir Alex described a meeting with the player in Portugal as “amicable” and seemingly positive. At a press conference in Durban on the club’s visit to South Africa, the United manager took time out to further reveal his views.

“The future is that Cristiano signed a five year contract with the team last year and he has four years left. That’s definite, I’ve seen his signature,” said Sir Alex.

“Young lads can be turned by the talk of money and the moves that are happening all the time in football. But after the Champions League final he was the happiest boy in the world. I think he knows where the best club is to be, and that is Manchester United.

“I honestly believe that going to Real Madrid would be the worst thing he could do. I think he’s 23 years old and at the right club, a fantastic club.”

Team-mate Michael Carrick was far from pleading with Ronaldo but strongly expressed his views about the draw of Old Trafford. “I can only speak for myself,” he said. “But for me this is the best place in the world to be. Joining the club was the best decision I have ever made.”
Rio set for first outing

Rio Ferdinand is in line for his first appearance of the pre-season campaign against Orlando Pirates in Durban after recovering from a back problem.

The 29-year-old defender did not take part in United’s opening summer friendly against Aberdeen and then suffered a back spasm during the warm-up for the first Vodacom Challenge match against Kaizer Chiefs in Cape Town on Saturday.

But the influential centre-back took part in a light training session on Sunday and was involved with the squad’s full work-out in Durban on Monday afternoon.

“Rio trained yesterday,” confirmed Sir Alex. “He wasn’t so stiff, and if he trains well today (Monday) he will certainly start on Tuesday.

“He’s missed two games now and he’ll want to get back into the action. I think it’s important that he starts.”

Sir Alex also confirmed that Rio’s defensive team-mate, Wes Brown, will return to Manchester on Wednesday following the sad news that his half-sister Amanda died at the weekend.
Papers: Wenger slams Real

Arsene Wenger backs Fergie in hammering Real on Ronaldo

Arsene Wenger has for once thrown his weight behind Sir Alex Ferguson by accusing Real Madrid of "destabilising" Cristiano Ronaldo. Wenger's spats with Fergie have become legendary in the Frenchman's 12 years as Gunners boss - their rows adding spice to Arsenal's battles with Manchester United for the title. But Wenger reckons his old adversary has every right to moan about the way Real have gone about trying to poach Portuguese wing wizard Ronaldo. "If you don't show respect to other clubs, I think that football is moving in the wrong way," said Wenger. "You cannot come out like president Ramon Calderon has done at Real Madrid with Manchester United, and tell them they cannot stop a player from leaving. You can destabilise any player in the world - that is irresponsible. The big clubs should have values and vision, and be setting an example to others. If we do not do that in football, then we do not understand our responsibilities."
Tom Collomosse, The Mirror

Most of the nationals cover Ferguson's assertion from Monday's press conference in Durban that Ronaldo would be making a mistake if he moved to the Bernabeu.

The Daily Mail claims Tottenham have submitted 'evidence' to the Premier League which supports their complaint over United's alleged pursuit of Dimitar Berbatov. Sir Alex has already dismissed quotes attributed to him last week regarding the Bulgarian striker.

The Sun carries an interview with John Terry in which the Chelsea captain admits he is still haunted by his penalty miss in May's Champions League final defeat to United.
Boss expects tough test

Sir Alex hopes his troops will be pushed to their limits when United meet Orlando Pirates in Durban on Tuesday evening.

The Reds had to fight hard to earn a draw on Saturday against a spirited Kaizer Chiefs side, who took the lead in the first half through a Jonathan Quartey penalty.

And while United beat Orlando Pirates 4-0 in the 2006 Vodacom Challenge, the United manager is certain the Soweto side will prove tougher opponents this time around.

“I think the standard of South African football is better than it was two years ago,” Sir Alex said.

“I’m sure Tuesday’s game will be difficult. We had a very competitive game on Saturday, although it must be said that the match was played in good spirits.

“Three days on, we hope we’ll be a little better prepared for this game.

“I thought Kaizer Chiefs played with great tenacity and good speed on the counter attack. They had very good fitness levels and these are the types of games we need at this stage of the season. We need our matches to be competitive."

United play Orlando Pirates in Durban’s Absa Stadium on Tuesday July 22 (kick-off 19:10 BST). Follow the match live on MUTV and MUTV Online, or read the report and reaction on ManUtd.com after final whistle.
Carrick has United at heart

United midfielder Michael Carrick insists he’s not bothered by England manager Fabio Capello’s continued refusal to pick him for the national side.

Despite impressing at club level and playing some of his finest football in 2007/08, the 26-year-old hasn’t featured for the Three Lions since Steve McClaren selected him to play Germany in a friendly at Wembley on 22 August, 2007.

“I just put it to the back of my mind,” Carrick shrugged at Monday’s press conference in Durban. “I’m here to do my best for United and that’s what I love doing.

“If I can get in the England squad then that’s great, but I can only put in my performances for United and see how far that takes me.”

Sir Alex admitted he had sympathy for Capello. After all, he said, England is blessed with talented central midfielders.

“Over the last few years, all the England managers – Sven-Goran Eriksson, Steve McClaren and now Fabio Capello – have had more options in central midfield than in any other position.

“You’ve had Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Carrick, Cole and now Barry… it’s very difficult to say what the best midfield is.

“Of course we want United players to be recognised for their abilities, and I think Michael’s done that, but I have no gripes about him not being picked. Fabio has a very difficult choice.”

2007/08 Stats

League: 31 apps, 2 goals
FA Cup: 4 apps
Carling Cup: 1 app
Europe: 12 apps
Others: 1 app
Season total: 49 apps, 2 goals
Brown to face Pirates

Wes Brown will start in tonight’s Vodacom Challenge encounter with the Orlando Pirates, before flying home to Manchester on Wednesday following the death of his half sister on the weekend.

Sir Alex will also hand starts to youngsters Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson and Lee Martin, while goalkeeper Ben Foster will make his first appearance in United colours since March.

Chris Eagles, United’s scorer in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Kaizer Chiefs, is rewarded with another start, and Fraizer Campbell will partner Carlos Tevez up front.

Sir Alex had already indicated Rio Ferdinand would play after the England defender was forced out of Saturday's clash after suffering a back spasm just before kick-off.

"He’s missed two games now and he’ll want to get back into the action," the boss told reporters at Monday's press conference.

"I think it’s important that he starts.”

The last time the Reds met the Pirates, back in the 2006 Vodacom Challenge, United ran out comfortable 4-0 winners.
Boss praises young guns

Sir Alex Ferguson was pleased with his young charges' display in the win over Orlando Pirates, although he accepted that the Reds ran out of steam somewhat in the second half.

The likes of Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson and Lee Martin all started the Vodacom Challenge game in Durban, with the latter's first-half goal settling another fast-paced and competitive pre-season friendly.

Sir Alex told MUTV: "I’m satisfied with the result. Some of the football we played in the first half hour was very satisfying: there was a lot of vision, movement and quick passing in our game, and we didn’t dwell on the ball.

"The Pirates were very aggressive in terms of pressing the ball and we had to be quick on it, which can only help us.

"After 30 minutes we lost our momentum a little bit, which happens with young players. They start to lose concentration. Defensively we were caught one or two times on the counter-attack but they had a lot of pace, although they weren't great finishers."

Ferguson had words of encouragement for Martin and Chris Eagles and is confident the young midfield duo can fulfil their potential by playing more regularly.

"Some of the players have not had enough football at this level, of course," the Reds boss continued.

"Eagles and Martin have been out on loan, Martin got injured at Sheffield United and needs a lot of football, but there’s a lot of talent there, as is the case with Eagles.

"Hopefully they can start to get regular football at a good level because to fulfil their talent and promise they really have to be playing football."
Martin: It was hard work

Lee Martin admitted an energetic Orlando Pirates side tested his and United's fitness in the Reds' 1-0 Vodacom Challenge win.

Midfielder Martin scored the only goal of the game in Durban, slotting home after running onto Fraizer Campbell's flick-on, but the youngster knows United did not have it all their own way in the second game of the South Africa trip.

"It was a good game but it was hard work, especially in the last 20 minutes when we found it hard to keep the ball and a little bit of fatigue set in," he told MUTV.

"It was humid out there and they are halfway through their season and fighting fit, whereas we have only just started our campaign. Pre-season is all about fitness and they definitely tested that and made it hard for us."

Martin has made a habit of scoring goals on United's pre-season tours but was happy to credit striker Campbell for his contribution to the 23rd-minute winner.

"Fraizer did all the hard work for my goal, I just made the run and fortunately got a little touch on it, got in front of the defender and slotted it in," Martin said.

Watch Kaizer Chiefs v Orlando Pirates and the Vodacom Challenge final live on MUTV and MUTV Online.
Report: Orlando Pirates 0 Utd 1

United enjoyed another energetic pre-season workout as Lee Martin’s first-half goal gave the Reds a comfortable Vodacom Challenge win over Orlando Pirates.

In a second competitive game in South Africa, an athletic Pirates side made some feisty challenges but lacked the penetrative edge of their rivals Kaizer Chiefs, with Reds goalkeeper Ben Foster largely a spectator.

Midfielder Martin scored the winner in the 23rd minute, poking the ball home inside the box after running onto a Fraizer Campbell flick-on.

Sir Alex Ferguson made plenty of changes to his side, with youngsters Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Campbell and Martin handed starts in front of 50,000 noisy fans in Durban.

Carlos Tevez had the game’s first chance in the seventh minute, his low shot from the edge of the box drawing a smart save from Senzo Meyiwa.

Meyiwa was called into action again three minutes later to deny Martin, while Carrick saw a sweetly-struck volley deflected wide as United dominated early on.

Fraizer Campbell’s pace was causing problems for the Pirates defence and the young striker was involved in the opener, heading the ball on to Martin, who shrugged off Happy Jele and finished smartly past Meyiwa.

Centre-backs Rio Ferdinand, fully recovered from a back spasm, and Evans had little trouble dealing with the Bucs’ enthusiastic but largely toothless attack.

Martin had a strong penalty appeal waved away shortly before half-time and both he and Ferdinand were surprisingly booked for their protests.

United found the Pirates in more determined mood at the start of the second half and the Reds did not create as many clear-cut chances.

Foster was called into rare action to deny Lebogang Mothibantwa and Joseph Makhanya, before Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes came on for a 20-minute run-out. The two substitutes almost combined immediately to score United’s second, Rooney laying the ball off for Scholes to hit a first-time shot that was parried by Meyiwa.

The Reds failed to add to Martin’s opener but claimed a second pre-season victory and, more importantly, 16 of the squad benefited from some more useful match action.

Kaizer Chiefs meet Orlando Pirates on Thursday for the right to face United in the Vodacom Challenge final on Saturday. Fans can watch both games live on MUTV and MUTV Online.

United: Foster, Brown, Ferdinand, Evans (Simpson 88), Silvestre (O'Shea 62), Eagles, Carrick (Scholes 69), Gibson (Fletcher 82), Martin, Tevez (Rooney 69), Campbell.
Brave Brown plays 90mins

Wes Brown was determined to play against Orlando Pirates in Durban on Tuesday, despite the death of his half sister on the weekend.

The Reds’ no.6 played the full 90 minutes and will now return to Manchester on Wednesday evening to be with his family.

“[To play Wes tonight] was a decision we both took,” Sir Alex told reporters after Tuesday’s match.

“I’ve been speaking with him over the last few days and the boy wanted to play. He felt he should play and therefore he’ll take up the family duties when he gets back. He’ll fly home on Wednesday night.”

Sir Alex is known throughout the game as a master of man management, but he admits sometimes players are better off making their own decisions.

“It’s a difficult one to advise on,” he said. “Only the individual can know what’s right, and Wes wanted to stay. Because there’s a post-mortem happening at the moment, there was no emergency for the boy to rush home.”
Papers: Boss hails Wazza

I've been hard on Rooney
Sir Alex Ferguson admitted last night: I have made life hard for Wayne Rooney. The Manchester United boss consistently played his England hitman out of position last season as the club won the Premier League and Champions League. Fergie accepts the star’s goal tally suffered as a result. But now the Scot is ready to turn Rooney into a major threat once more by using him as a central striker. Ferguson conceded: “I think I have to take a bit of responsibility. He has sacrificed himself and never complained about it, which says a lot for the lad. We have to define his role a bit better for us. I think his best position is through the middle, either in a front role or tucking in just behind. He can play either role very well. He is aggressive, uses two feet, has good pace and the courage to go in the box. There’s no reason why he can’t get a good supply of goals."
Janine Self, The Sun

The Sun features quotes from Sir Alex claiming he is not concerned about the challenge from Chelsea next season. "It’s hard to see where there’s going to be a big improvement with a team that’s really very experienced," he said. "How can they accelerate beyond what they’ve done? I don’t see outstanding progress in a team that is in their 30s."

The Daily Mail claim United striker Febian Brandy has re-joined Swansea City on a six-month loan deal, after playing a key role in the Welsh club's League One title success last season.
Sir Alex satisfied with squad

Sir Alex Ferguson maintains the current Reds squad is good enough to challenge for major honours this season.

United are yet to dabble in the transfer marker this summer and Sir Alex says fans shouldn’t be surprised if the Reds start the season full of familiar faces.

“I took 23 players to Moscow and [apart from Gerard Pique (sold to Barcelona) and Tom Heaton (loaned to Cardiff)] they’ll still be there,” Sir Alex told reporters in Durban, South Africa.

“It’s a good, strong squad and we’re happy with it at the moment.”

Ferguson was quick to remind the media of the current squad’s youth, and insisted the players will only get better.

“We did a lot of stocking up last summer,” he said. “We bought four players [Anderson, Nani, Owen Hagreaves, Carlos Tevez], who were all at good ages.

“That was part of a policy we developed two years back, of bringing in young players. We’re delighted with how that’s gone and we think those players can progress even further.”

Ferguson didn’t rule out a summer transfer splash, but he did acknowledge the Reds were finding it difficult to deal in the market.

“Obviously we always try to improve, but it can be difficult to get the right kind of players.

“There are always reasons why clubs don’t want to sell – just like we don’t want to sell our best players. That’s made things a little difficult… but I’m very happy with the squad I have.”
Boss delivers report cards

After United's 1-0 win over Orlando Pirates on Tuesday, ManUtd.com journalist Nick Coppack asked Sir Alex to assess the contributions of the team's younger players. Here's what he had to say:

"Chris Eagles and Lee Martin haven’t played enough football over the last two or three years and they’ve come to an important time in their careers.

"Lee, in particular, has been very unfortunate in the loan spells he’s had. He’s picked up a couple of long-term injuries. Of course, at that age these kids want to play football all the time.

"Meanwhile, Chris Eagles had the opportunity to go on loan last season and didn’t want to. Because of that, and the form of the team, he was dependent on Reserves football, which, at his age and the progress he’s got to make, isn’t enough for him.

"I have to find out more about those players and that’s why I bring them on tour and it’s why I played them [against Orlando Pirates].

"As for Jonny Evans, he went to Sunderland in January and did very well. In fact, I think he was very instrumental in them staying up. Jonny's a very good footballer, who reads the game well and has good composure. He’s got a career in football – there’s no question about that.

"Darron Gibson went to Wolves last season and injuries, as well as a family bereavement, derailed his time there. He needs to get football – he’s a big, powerful lad with good feet and he has a chance.

"Then there's Fraizer Campbell, who spent time at Hull City last season and had an incredible season. He has to improve in certain aspects of his game, but he has a chance as well.

"Concentration is one of the vital components of making the step across the line to be a regular first-team player. You saw the composure that Rooney and Scholes brought to the team [on Tuesday] and that tells you the vast difference between a young player and an experienced player like Scholes. His pass in the final minutes of the game to Rooney… I would have paid money to see that pass if that was the only thing I saw in the game.

"We often under-rate the value of concentration with footballers. They can practise all day long, they can have fantastic ability but if they don’t have the concentration to produce final passes in important moments then they’re never going to make it."
Carrick hungry for more

Michael Carrick says the squad are determined to keep up the winning habit after last season's glorious double.

The midfielder insists confidence could not be higher within the camp after claiming back-to-back titles and the club's third European Cup.

"The success we’ve had over the last couple of years fills you with a lot of confidence," says Carrick.

"Wining the Champions League is a tremendous achievement and one we set out to do. We managed to win the double so as players, we’re going into the new season full of confidence and looking forward.

"The feeling you get from winning drives you on to win even more. I looked at Giggsy, Gaz [Neville] and Scholesy and wondered how they’d done that for so long, but now I know. You can’t get enough of it.

"Hopefully that will drive us on to have more success in years to come."
返回列表