返回列表 回復 發帖
Papers: Glazers want Ronny

Gill: Glazers want Ronaldo to stay
United chief executive David Gill has revealed the decision to keep Cristiano Ronaldo on board was taken with the full blessing of the Glazer family. He said that a "short, quick conversation" with the owners took place at the Champions League final in May when there were already rumours about Real Madrid's interest in the Portugal winger. The Spanish club have continued to court the 23-year-old, who scored 42 goals last season, but United are adamant he is not for sale. Gill said: "We saw them (the owners) at the Champions League final and the speculation was already present then. It was a short, quick conversation. Under the PLC regime, we would not have had to sell him but we would have had to be more public. We would would have had to consult major shareholders a lot more. Ultimately it would have been a more public situation. As it is we have had one phone call, one chat in Moscow and the decision was made. Full stop."
Manchester Evening News

According to The Sun, Ronaldo has told "close pal" and Real defender Pepe that he still harbours hopes of a move to the Bernabeu.

Meanwhile, Gill is quoted in The Mirror as saying that India is the next country in which United want to increase their influence. Gill said: "We've worked on our global position for many years but it would be wrong to think we're impregnable. India is interesting. We've been approached to go there and we're looking at some Soccer School opportunities."

In other news, Sir Alex Ferguson has said he believes South Africa has "a lot to offer" and will be equipped to host the World Cup in two years. United play the final game of their tour of the country against Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday.
Sir Alex to make changes

Sir Alex Ferguson will freshen up his team for Saturday's Vodacom Challenge final against the Kaizer Chiefs in the hope his side can end their trip to South Africa with some silverware.

The Reds lost the corresponding match during their visit in 2006 on penalties and Sir Alex is aiming for a different result this time round.

"We’ll play a very competitive team and one I expect to get a good result for us," he declared at his pre-match press conference on Friday. "We hope to take the big trophy home, which we didn’t do last time."

With two games in two days to come against the Chiefs in South Africa and Portsmouth in Nigeria, the United boss will make full use of his squad, with the likes of Rodrigo Possebon, Tom Cleverley and Craig Cathcart, who flew out to South Africa on Thursday, set to be given a run-out.

"I’ll be playing one team on Saturday and there’ll be a lot of changes for the game on Sunday because it’s only 24 hours later," he explained. "The nucleus of the side will play on Saturday – there might be an issue with the heat and altitude but we’ll monitor how the players are progressing during the game.

"Making changes is the nature of the business at the moment. We want to give everyone enough time on the field to make sure the fitness and tempo of their game is improving. Hopefully by this time next week we’ll be really ready for the season."

The Reds played out a 1-1 draw with the Chiefs last weekend in a somewhat feisty encounter. And having watched them overcome local rivals Orlando Pirates on Thursday evening, Sir Alex is expecting another tough test in Tshwane on Saturday.

"We’ve seen the Kaizer Chiefs’ ability and we saw the game last night [against Orlando Pirates] and it was a very, very aggressive game," he said.

"I think it’s important we see a good game on Saturday. The referee has a responsibility and a role to play in making sure it’s a good game. There’ll be plenty of good footballers on the field and that’s why spectators are here. I’m sure if we do get a good referee then it will be a fantastic game."

The game, which kicks off at 14:30 BST, will be shown live on MUTV and MUTV Online.
Reds eye goalkeeper coach

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that United are on the brink of appointing a new goalkeeping coach.

Previous incumbent Tony Coton was forced into retirement by a troublesome knee injury last season, at which point Richard Hartis took the role on a temporary basis.

Having taken stock of the situation and searched for a suitable full-time replacement, however, Sir Alex expects to have a new man in place for the start of the season.

"We have approached someone for the job and we’re waiting for clearance to employ him," the manager revealed. "Tony had to quit because of his knee situation and we didn’t rush to appoint a successor.

"It was only 10 days ago that we decided who to get. We hope we’ll have clearance by the beginning of August."
Boss denies Chelsea jibe

Sir Alex has clarified recent media reports suggesting he’s dismissed Chelsea as title contenders because the Blues’ squad is too old.

National newspapers ran with the story after the United manager sat down with journalists in Durban during the Reds’ pre-season trip to South Africa.

Many articles were accompanied by sensational headlines, while one daily paper sought reaction from a Help The Aged spokesperson and claimed Sir Alex had branded Chelsea “a bunch of old codgers”.

These were the manager’s actual words:

“[Chelsea] are an experienced side. I'm not saying necessarily that they're old because with the modern-day training methods you should be playing in your 30s.

“What I'm saying is that I don't see outstanding progress coming from a team that's in their 30s.”

In Johannesburg on Friday afternoon, speaking ahead of the Vodacom Challenge final, Sir Alex was keen to clear the air.

“I can clarify [those comments] quite easily,” he said.

“Ask the English journalists what they did with the story – they put a headline on it and it ends up embarrassing you.

“What I said was that Chelsea are a very experienced team, and when players get to their 30s you don’t expect a big improvement from them.

“I also said they will be a big challenge to us, as will the other two clubs [Arsenal and Liverpool]. I don’t think there’s much between the top four clubs.”

Sir Alex also insisted recent comments attributed to Carlos Tevez on the future of Cristiano Ronaldo were untrue.

Tevez was quoted as saying he believed Ronaldo should be allowed to leave Old Trafford if that’s what he desires. But the United manager refuted Tevez had issued the quotes.

“Carlos Tevez did not say that,” he said.

“At this moment in time we’re driven by a mad media who have to get stories out every day.

“I can’t wait for the season to start so we can get back to some sense of normality and we can all settle down to play football again. These guys in the press are just crazy.”
Hargo: Rooney can 'explode'

Owen Hargreaves has heaped praise on Wayne Rooney and predicted the striker will have a ‘massive’ 2008/09 season.

Hargreaves already believes his team-mate is England’s most talented player and warned the rest of the Premier League that the 22-year-old will only get better.

The Reds midfielder said: “This will be a massive season for Wayne. He could be one of the most influential players in the Premier League and I am looking forward to seeing him really explode.

“Ability-wise he is the best English player. It is very rare you get someone as good as that – he is exceptionally gifted. He is only 22 and it feels like he has been around for ever.

“Wayne has had a fabulous career already but he has so much more to offer. This season I am looking forward to him doing even better, scoring more goals and being even more effective.”

Rooney was frequently deployed in an unfamiliar wide role last term and his goal tally suffered as a result, although Hargreaves recognises the value of the frontman’s tireless contribution to United’s cause.

“It is a blessing and not a coincidence that we were so successful last season with Wayne and Carlos [Tevez] doing so much work up front,” Hargreaves continued.

“Wayne is so unselfish – he will do a job anywhere you ask him. He does a lot of work for the rest of the team, which other offensive players would not do.

"But he has so much ability to decide a game as well. The Aston Villa game in the FA Cup was probably the best example of that. He decided the game on his own in the space of 20 minutes. Not a lot of English players can do that.”
Reds close in on Tevez deal

Carlos Tevez will sign a permanent deal with the club before the end of the year, according to United chief executive David Gill.

Gill confirmed the Reds have reached a deal with Tevez's owners MSI that will turn his current loan deal into a permanent move.

Tevez netted 19 goals in his first season at Old Trafford as United sealed a glorious double and Gill insists it was always the club's intention to offer the Argentine a long-term deal.
"We have spoken to Carlos and see him as part of our long-term squad," revealed Gill. "We have been pleased with his first season. He is a good age - a great player and well liked within the team.

"We know what we have to do and what we have to pay. The only issue is that we would have to sort out a long-term contract for him.

"But it's not a problem - we can do it in September, October, November or December. Sir Alex has explained it to him and he is very comfortable with it."
Boss hails Vodacom triumph

Boss hails Vodacom triumphSir Alex Ferguson was delighted to see his side pick up their first piece of silverware of the season after a convincing 4-0 win in the Vodacom Challenge final in Pretoria.

A fine first half finish from captain Ryan Giggs set the Reds on their way to victory over the Kaizer Chiefs, before further impressive finishes from Wayne Rooney and substitutes Tom Cleverley and Fraizer Campbell ensured United rounded off their visit to South Africa in style.

It was a young side that started the match with Rodrigo Possebon and Craig Cathcart both handed their first senior starts. Cleverley and Campbell were both second half substitues and each ended the day with a goal.

Sir Alex was pleased with his side's overall display and reserved special praise for his young charges.

"The young ones played their part," the boss told MUTV. "Tom Cleverley did very well. He's a nice footballer, a Manchester United-type player who wants to be on the ball all the time.

"Fraizer is always a threat with the pace he has and getting a goal was nice for him.

"I thought Rodrigo and Craig both did well. Craig had one or two little misunderstandings in the first half when the ball was played through. The altitude here means it flies a bit quicker than normal so he had to deal with that a couple of times. But other than that he did very well.

"He, like Rodrigo, used the ball well and I think the lads have got a chance.

"It's always great to win a trophy," added the United manager. "It's a beautiful trophy, although I'm not quite sure how we're going to get it home it's so big!"

The Reds now head to Nigeria for a friendly with Harry Redknapp's Portsmouth side on Sunday night after a productive nine-day stay in South Africa.

"The organisation of everything has been first class," concluded Sir Alex on his way to the airport. "The atmosphere in the stadiums has been terrific - the fans really seemed to have enjoyed themselves. And the games have been played at a high tempo which has brought our fitness up to the right level.

"So there are a lot of plus points and I think there are a lot of positive aspects for South African football."
Dream debut for Tom

A beaming Tom Cleverley couldn't contain his delight after scoring on his senior debut during United's 4-0 victory over the Kaizer Chiefs in the Vodacom Challenge final.

The 18-year-old was a late inclusion in the Reds' South Africa squad after flying out with fellow youngsters Rodrigo Possebon and Craig Cathcart on Thursday.

Cleverley entered the fray at the start of the second period and wasted little time in making an impression, expertly converting Wayne Rooney's knock-down just after the hour for United's third goal.

"It's been an unbelievable day and I'm pretty speechless," he told MUTV.

"I got the call on Tuesday to say I'd be coming out to South Africa so it's all happened very quickly.

"I came on and did quite well and got a goal - I feel very proud."

Having experienced a successful taste of first team action, the midfielder is determined to build on his bright start.

"I've done well in my first match, but I want to stay there and carry it on into the season," he insisted.

"I'm just a down to earth lad from Bradford and to see Scholesy coming on to play next to me was unbelievable; you have to pinch yourself.

"It's great to play with the likes of Tevez and Rooney and it really helps you to raise your game. Hopefully I can continue to do that."

A day to remember for Tom

"It's been an unbelievable day and I'm pretty speechless. I got the call on Tuesday to say I'd be coming out to South Africa so it's all happened very quickly. I came on and did quite well and got a goal - I feel very proud."

- Tom Cleverley

Factfile
Born: 12 August 1989, Basingstoke
Position: Midfield
Joined United: 1 July 2005
Did You Know?
The Reserve team regular was one of three players nominated for the prestigious 2007/08 Denzil Haroun Reserve Player of the Year award, alongside Sam Hewson and, eventual winner, Richard Eckersley.
High hopes for starlets

Sir Alex Ferguson has earmarked a host of his promising youngsters as future Old Trafford stars and hopes to see them make significant progress over the coming season.

A number of the young players have impressed during United's pre-season trip to South Africa with Chris Eagles, Lee Martin, Tom Cleverley and Fraizer Campbell all finding the net.

Assured displays from Brazilian midfielder Rodrigo Possebon and Belfast-born defender Craig Cathcart during Saturday's Vodacom Challenge final victory have given Sir Alex further cause for optimism.

"They are all at a good age in terms of us judging them," he said. "Most of them have been out on loan and done well.

"Jonny Evans had a good spell at Sunderland and was instrumental in them staying up. Campbell was instrumental in bringing Hull up.

"Lee Martin has been unfortunate with injuries, but he showed what he can do by setting up the first goal [against the Kaizer Chiefs]. He has potential.

"Cathcart is looking much stronger and the intention is to put him out on loan this season. Possebon will stay as he has potential for first team football, while Cleverley is just a young lad and has time on his side. All the young players have good potential."

Stars of the future

Fraizer Campbell. Striker. Age 20

Craig Cathcart. Defender. Age 19

Tom Cleverley. Midfielder. Age 18

Chris Eagles. Winger. Age 22

Jonny Evans. Defender. Age 20

Lee Martin. Winger. Age 21

Rodrigo Possebon. Midfielder. Age 19

View Player Factfiles and Stats

Boss expects big things

"The young players are all at a good age in terms of us judging them. Most of them have been out on loan and done well. They all have good potential."

- Sir Alex Ferguson
Rooney should face Pompey

Rooney should face PompeyWayne Rooney should be fit to face Portsmouth on Sunday evening in Nigeria, despite suffering a dead leg in the Reds' 4-0 victory over the Kaizer Chiefs.

The striker was cynically stopped in his tracks as he made a run forward just after the re-start by Chiefs' defender Jonathan Quartey, who was booked for the tackle.

Rooney carried on and subsequently put the Reds 2-0 ahead, before being substituted on 66 minutes. But Sir Alex confirmed he is likely to be involved against Pompey.

"Wayne got a knock above the knee and a dead leg just after half-time. That's why we took him off, but he should be okay for Sunday," revealed the United boss.

"Gary Neville and Mikael Silvestre will both start, as will [Paul] Scholes and [Carlos] Tevez. Only Danny Simpson and John O'Shea won't play."

You can see the game, which kicks off at 19:45 BST, live on MUTV and MUTV Online.
Tributes to a legend

Over the course of his 11-year career at Old Trafford, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has provided United followers will countless great memories. That goal against Bayern Munich in '99 would arguably be every fan's pick, but there are plenty of others aside.

We asked Talking Reds users to pick out their other favourites...

"My favourite Ole moment has to be his incredible four goal-cameo against Nottingham Forest in February '99 when he came on and showed his true class. It was my birthday on the same day - what a present!"
mkll Mark

“His sending off against Newcastle summed up everything about the man - he'd do anything for the club without a thought for himself.”
Jols08

"A last minute winner in 99, but it's not the one you're expecting. Ole's winner against the Scousers in the FA Cup was the moment when hope turned to belief in the Treble season. The match epitomised United's never-say-die spirit and, for Ole, it was the perfect dress-rehearsal for 26 May in Barca."
Peter Johnson

“His first Premier League goal for over three years at Charlton in August 2006. What a moment to see that smile again. I was on my feet applauding as I’m sure fans of Ole across the world were.”
Aman

"Every time Ole came on you know something could happen. That was the magic and inspiration he brought to every United fan as well as the players around him. He was a real one-off."
DevilForLife7/11

"In every sport lies a legend - basketball has Michael Jordan, golf has Tiger Woods, Formula 1 has Michael Schumacher, football has Ole Gunnar Solskjaer."
Addy-Messi

"The FA Cup winner against Aston Villa in January 2007. Larsson scores on his debut, but Baros equalises. Just when everyone thinks it's going to a replay, up pops super-sub Ole to fire home the winner."
Anderson_guy
Ole backed to succeed

Working closely with Sir Alex Ferguson can make Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a success in management, according to Norway coach Age Hareide.

Although only three games into his fledgling managerial career, Ole has made a promising start to his new role at the Reserves helm and Hareide - who coached Solskjaer for Molde and Norway - expects that upward curve to continue.

"I think Ole has what it takes be a good manager," Hareide told ManUtd.com. "He has a lot of experience and he's certainly been under a manager who has shown how management should be done.

"Alex Ferguson knows the game and how to handle people, and Ole is a very quick learner and he picks up bits and pieces from everyone. If he can pick up some bits and pieces from Alex Ferguson then I think he could be a very good manager."

Hareide will be at Old Trafford this weekend as Ole celebrates his United playing career with a testimonial against Espanyol. Having played a pivotal role in Solskjaer's career by taking him to Molde, selling him to United and coaching him internationally, Hareide beams with pride at the striker's subsequent achievements.

"When you're a coach you always wish your players well and hope they succeed in life," he said. "Ole was very special because we built up a great relationship over the years and we still talk a lot. He's someone I'm very fond of; a special person in many ways."
Papers: Saha for PSG?

Saha heading for PSG
United are ready to sell Louis Saha to big-spending Paris St Germain to raise money for new arrivals. The injury-jinxed French striker, 29, is wanted by PSG who have signed Chelsea veteran Claude Makelele and is interested in going home if a fee and personal terms can be agreed. United have rejected several bids from clubs who want Saha on loan and PSG would have to buy the hitman and then be able to take on his stunning £4million-ayear salary. Sir Alex Ferguson has grown fed up with Saha's inability to be a significant part of his squad and the money from shifting him could help in his bid for a fit goalscorer. Saha should know his PSG fate shortly.
Alan Nixon, Daily Mirror

In other news, Owen Hargreaves has handed United and England a major boost by claiming he is finally over his knee problem. Hargreaves was restricted to just 23 starts last season following his £17million move from Bayern Munich. But he believes a course of injections has rid him of the debilitating tendon problem.

Sir Alex has slammed Sepp Blatter over his slavery claims. FIFA chief Blatter accused the United boss of treating Cristiano Ronaldo like a ‘slave’ after refusing to let him join Real Madrid. But Sir Alex rapped: “I know that slavery was abolished many years ago. It’s an unfortunate statement from someone in such an important position to come out with."
Rio: I'll be fit for title defence

Rio Ferdinand has brushed off any doubts about his fitness and is certain he will be fully fit for the start of United's Premier League title defence.

Ferdinand has missed much of United's pre-season campaign so far. He has been limited to just one outing - the full 90 minutes against Orlando Pirates in South Africa.

A back strain kept him out of the first match against Kaizer Chiefs, and he did not play in either of this weekends games against Kaizer Chiefs and Portsmouth as he had flown home to be with his partner who is expecting their second child.

But Ferdinand is unperturbed by his lack of playing time so far this summer.

"I don't see it as a problem," he said. "There's enough games to get under my belt before the start of the season.

"Fingers crossed I'll be fit for those. I did ground work before going out to South Africa and I'll do a lot of work in training back at home."
Vidic hails pre-season form

Nemanja Vidic says the squad have been buoyed by four wins out of five during their pre-season preparations for the new campaign.

The Reds kicked off their warm-up fixtures with a 2-0 victory at Aberdeen earlier this month, before heading to South Africa to take part in the Vodacom Challenge.

A 1-1 draw with the Kaizer Chiefs in their opening match, was followed by three consecutive victories for United, including Sunday night's 2-1 win over Portsmouth in Nigeria.

"We're pleased to have won a few games and kept some clean sheets - it's never too early to pick up good form," said Vidic, who has featured in all but one of United's five games, in an interview with MUTV.

"We had some good matches in South Africa and we're happy with what we did out there. Our fitness is improving all the time.

"We still have another few weeks to train and make sure we're ready for the first game [against Newcastle]."

Vidic has developed a formidable partnership with Rio Ferdinand at the heart of United's defence over the last couple of seasons, but the Serb has found himself alongside two of the Reds' upcoming youngsters during his last two games.

Craig Cathcart started with Vidic against the Kaizer Chiefs, while Jonny Evans was given his chance in the game with Pompey.

"The young players have done very well," observes Vidic. "I played with Craig for the first time [on Saturday] and I thought he produced a good performance, as did Jonny.

"All the youngsters have been impressive. Rodrigo [Possebon] has looked good, and Tom [Cleverley] and Fraizer [Campbell] both scored [against the Kaizer Chiefs] so things have gone well.

"It's been a great experience for them and they should be proud of how they've performed during the trip. They have a great future ahead of them."
返回列表