返回列表 回復 發帖
Euro crown tough to retain

United face a tough task retaining the Champions League crown the Reds won so dramatically in Moscow, according to Owen Hargreaves. But he says Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad certainly have the talent to be among the main contenders.

AC Milan were the last team to win back-to-back European Cup titles in 1989 and 1990. But it would seem that long gone are the days when, between 1971-1980, the trophy changed hands just four times. Ajax won it three times between 1971-73, Bayern Munich held the title between 1974-76, Liverpool won it twice in a row in 1977-78, and Nottingham Forrest clinched successive crowns in 1979 and 1980.

“It is not impossible to retain the Champions League but it is going to be difficult,” said Hargreaves. “Barcelona have signed the right players, Real Madrid look good, and Chelsea have improved dramatically.

"It’s going to be tough and it’s a big ask. But we are very capable of doing it again.”

Hargreaves knows precisely how tough it can be. Having won the trophy in his first season with Bayern Munich in 2000/01, the Germans then surrendered the crown the following year, losing to eventual winners Real Madrid in the quarter finals.

“It is getting harder and harder to win the Champions League,” Hargreaves added. “The most important thing is to peak at the right moments. You need to get through the groups and put yourself in a position where you have the home leg second like we did last season.

"Everything fell for us at the right time. Our form was good all season, and in the decisive games it was even better. We did a good job of peaking at the right time and it’s something we will have to do again this year.”

United’s advantage is the age of some of the players in the squad, who will only have benefited from last season’s experience. It doesn’t guarantee success, but it has provided the team with a solid foundation and Hargreaves expects the Reds to push on this term.

“I think we can get better,” he says. “I definitely believe that. Cristiano is injured and Anderson will be away at the Olympics, so we will miss them early on. But apart from that the squad looks good. Even the younger players.  Wayne is only 22 so he will improve.

"These players have been together for another year and I am looking forward to seeing how they do together. Gary Neville is also back, so it’s looking good for us.”
Papers: Reds chase Eric?

Fergie plays hardball with Ince
Sir Alex Ferguson has given old boy Paul Ince a brutal welcome to the dog-eat-dog world of the Premier League by stealing his goalkeeping coach. The United manager has lined up a swoop for Eric Steele, who joined Ince at Blackburn only 19 days ago after being shown the door by Mark Hughes at Manchester City. Steele is wanted to replace Tony Coton who was forced to retire last season because of a long-standing knee injury. Ferguson confirmed recently he had his target in mind saying: “We have approached someone for the job and we’re waiting the clearance to employ him by the beginning of August.” Although having only just joined Rovers, Steele views the chance to work with the Premier and Champions League winners – and keepers of the calibre of Edwin van der Sar, Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak – too good to turn down.
Richard Tanner, Daily Express

In other news, Eric Cantona reckons Cristiano Ronaldo would be "bloody stupid" to quit United for Real Madrid.

As part of an interview for GQ magazine which is featured in The Sun, Ryan Giggs puts the boot in on the soccer mercenaries who sell their soul to the highest bidder. "Many players want to make as much money as they can and change teams for ten grand. But how is that going to make much difference to their lives?" rapped the winger.
Ole's magic moments

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial match against Espanyol on Saturday will bring his epic career to a close, with the man himself set to play one last game in the famous red shirt.

The occasion will give fans a chance to give the popular Norwegian the send-off he deserves after 326 appearances, 126 goals and many happy memories. But which is your favourite? The Nou Camp goal aside, we want you to choose from the five below...

A dream debut
25 Aug 1996, United 2 Blackburn 2
For Ole and United, it was love at first sight. Little hoopla surrounded his move, but that changed fast. With the Reds trailing Blackburn 2-1 at Old Trafford, Ole entered the fray in the 64th minute equalising just six minutes later to preserve an unbeaten 32-game home streak.

Video (Freeview) / Cast your vote

Last-minute wonder
24 Jan 1999, United 2 Liverpool 1

Liverpool led 1-0 through Michael Owen’s goal and, despite huffing and puffing, United couldn’t bring the house down. With two minutes left, Dwight Yorke levelled the scores. Shredded nerves restored, silence in the away end. Then pandemonium everywhere else. The 90 minutes were up when Ole swooped for a late winner.

Video (Freeview) / Cast your vote

Four-midable
6 Feb 1999, Forest 1 United 8
Against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground, Ole executed as deadly an example of finishing as you’ll see. He not only scored four goals, he did so in the 19 minutes available to him. The 8-1 – yes, 8-1 – remains the Premiership’s biggest away win.

Video / Cast your vote

A quadruple double
4 Dec 1999, United 5 Everton 1

Few players ever score four in a game, fewer do it twice in the space of nine months. United were one down against Everton, but levelled quickly through Denis Irwin. Then the fun began as Ole fired two doubles either side of the break.

Video / Cast your vote

Comeback king
23 Aug 2006, Charlton 0 United 3
On an emotionally charged scene on a rainswept, south London night, United’s travelling fans celebrated the third and final goal like it was 1999. Their hero was back. Ole scored for the first time since April 2003 (against Panathinaikos) and shared the love-in with United’s fans in Charlton’s Jimmy Seed Stand.

Video / Cast your vote
Giggs a beacon for Reds' future

Ryan Giggs' gloriously successful career has been underpinned by an unyielding desire to keep on winning trophies.

The 34-year-old Welshman has never been one to rest on his achievements, preferring and United will be hoping his attitude and approach to staying at the very top of the football pyramid will filter down to the young players in the current squad.

Giggs has been around long enough to recognise the winning trait in players, and one look around the dressing room fills him with confidence that last season’s highs will not be his last.

“I think that’s the biggest challenge,” he said in an exclusive interview with Inside United magazine.

“To be fair, the young lads rose to the challenge of defending the Premier League title last season. For many of them that had been their first time as champions, and it’s much harder to defend it because everybody always wants to beat the best. They did that, and then went on to win the Champions League as well.”

Ten league titles and two Champions League crowns are the pride of Giggs’ honours. He’s won enough to know that the challenge only gets more difficult.

“It does get tougher, because you’ve got to keep that desire and that hunger in order to succeed," he added. "I’m sure all the young lads have that, but us older ones and the manager will stress it to them anyway. They’re all good lads, they all wanted to win trophies when they came here, and they want to win more now. There won’t be a problem there.”
Papers: Eagles flies the nest

United winger flies to Burnley
United winger Chris Eagles has joined Coca-Cola Championship club Burnley on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee believed to be in excess of £1m. Eagles, 22, joined the Barclays Premier League champions at the age of 14 but has failed to establish himself as a regular part of Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team plans. And despite being prominent in United's pre-season campaign, scoring against Kaizer Chiefs and Portsmouth on their tour of Africa, Eagles has finally called time on his Old Trafford career. The Red Devils academy graduate, who enjoyed previous loan spells at Watford, Sheffield Wednesday and Dutch outfit NEC Nijmegen, becomes Burnley's sixth summer signing.
Staff reporter, The Independent

Real Madrid directors want the club to end their pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo. Fed-up board members told president Ramon Calderon on Monday that they cannot risk missing out on signing other players while waiting for the United winger.

The Sun features quotes from Ronaldo's Portuguese team-mate Pepe who admits Madrid's players are growing tired of the Ronaldo transfer saga.
Reds breeze into last eight

United's youngsters have booked a spot in the quarter finals of the Northern Ireland Milk Cup, where they will face Dublin's Cherry Orchard.

The Reds' progress was sealed by the 4-0 thumping of County Armagh on Tuesday evening, having hammered New Zealand's Otago by the same score on Monday.

Federico Macheda took his competition tally to three with a brace against County Armagh, slotting home two neat finishes after Matt James' powerful header had opened the scoring.

Joshua King added a late fourth to seal a last-eight berth against the Dubliners, who qualified through a 4-0 stroll against Otago and a default victory over Sevilla, who fielded overage players.

The sides meet on Wednesday evening at Ballymoney's Riada Stadium, kicking off at 6pm.

Wednesday, 30 July 2008

6pm - United v Cherry Orchard; Watford v Drogheda United

7pm - Hearts v County Londonderry; Fluminense v South Cast Bayern
Edwin: Ronny can win the lot here

Edwin van der Sar says Cristiano Ronaldo will keep on winning football’s top trophies by staying at United.

All summer the Reds winger has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford, but Sir Alex Ferguson has said that Ronaldo will be a United player next season.

And van der Sar, who saved the penalty that clinched Champions League glory in Moscow in May, insists United are on the up and up.

"There have been a lot of things said and it is a very personal situation but we have a great team here, we play in a great stadium, with great fans and we have an opportunity to win more," Edwin told Sky Sports News.

"It is not that the team is going backwards. We have other trophies to play for, like the Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup. You don't get the chance to play in those competitions very often because you need to win the Champions League to qualify.”

The 37-year-old has been around long enough to recognise in a team the potential to win trophies, and clearly that is what he sees at Old Trafford.

"In my opinion, being at Manchester United is a great way to play at the highest level and win trophies with a team that is very closely knitted together,” he added.

"Cristiano also has a contract here. Sometimes things change but we have a good squad here without any question."
Blog: Ole's a real legend - Eikrem

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s testimonial against Espanyol on Saturday will be a heartfelt tribute to a true legend. Reds Reserves midfielder and fellow Norwegian, Magnus Eikrem, explains why he’ll be among a fervent Old Trafford support…

I remember the week before the Champions League final in 1999, I was playing football with my friends in Norway, pretending to be Ole scoring the winning goal... then, of course, he went and did it. Everyone in Norway was so proud. It was a big day for Norway, not just United. Mention the Champions League in my country and most people think of Ole.

My family and friends are over for the game on Saturday, so expect plenty of Norwegians in Manchester!

Ole is the best Norwegian footballer there has ever been. He's admired not just for what he does on the pitch, but also the work he does off it, something not all footballers do. You could go around Norway and you wouldn't find anyone with a bad word to say about Ole.

He's inspired me a lot. He was a young player from a small town in Norway, like myself, and suddenly he's playing in the Premier League and scoring all those goals for United. As a young Norwegian that gave me hope that I could make it. Then I was lucky enough to go to Ole's Academy in Norway, which is where I was spotted for United. I was so nervous when I first met him, but he’s great with you.

When I first came to United I met Ole almost every day and he gave me plenty of advice. As a coach, he's not been too hard on us just yet, but I'm sure he will be! He's got a bit of Sir Alex about him! All the players have great respect for him and we know he'll do what's best for us. That’s why I’m sure he’ll be as good a coach as he was a player.
Neville continues fitness bid

Gary Neville aims to continue his bid to be fully fit for the start of the season with some more minutes on the pitch over the coming week.

Old Trafford will play host to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial match on Saturday against Espanyol and a friendly with Juventus the following Wednesday.

After completing the full 90 minutes of United's 2-1 over Portsmouth in Nigeria on Sunday evening, the skipper is hoping to be involved in at least one of the Reds' upcoming games.

"It was important for me to play 90 minutes in Nigeria, but I did feel it in the last 15 minutes," he told MUTV.

"But then, when I was 23, I would have felt it in the last 15. I think everyone felt it. It was a tough game in humid conditions.

"Now I'm hoping to play in at least one of the games against Espanyol or Juventus."

Having been forced to watch from the sidelines as his team-mates sealed a glorious double last season, the 33-year-old is determined not to miss out this time round.

"Last season was very frustrating from a personal point of view. It was very disappointing not be involved in what was such a great season for the club," he admits.

"Playing in these matches in pre-season will help my fitness and sharpness and hopefully I can be a part of another successful season."
Papers: PSG want Reds duo

Silvestre keen to stay, despite PSG interest
Mikael Silvestre, the Manchester United defender, is wanted by Paris Saint-Germain but he is still holding out for a testimonial.
The France international, 30, made just three Barclays Premier League appearances last term but will clock up 10 years at Old Trafford this season. PSG plan to offer £3.5m.
They also fancy United's injury-prone France striker Louis Saha but he would prefer to stay in England.
Daily Mail

Meanwhile, Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has insisted once more that it’s Cristiano Ronaldo’s “dream” to play at the Bernabeu. In the Daily Express, he reiterated his belief that Madrid have done nothing wrong this summer in their pursuit of Ronaldo. “The club at which I’m president sleeps with a clear conscience,” he said.

The Sun claim they know Ronaldo will stay at United… because he’s apparently ordered two new hot tubs for his Manchester home.
Reds snare Lancashire Cup

Danny Drinkwater slotted home an 87th-minute winner as United overcame Liverpool in a thrilling Lancashire Senior Cup final at the County Ground.

The two sides dished up a memorable see-saw encounter as Liverpool twice came from behind, only for Drinkwater's late intervention to take the trophy back to Old Trafford for the first time in almost four decades.

A breathtaking match started in style when Rodrigo Possebon - with two scorching goals already under his belt this pre-season - drilled just over the crossbar from 20 yards with only two minutes gone.

Andras Simon should have put the Merseysiders ahead shortly afterwards when he burst through and rounded Ron-Robert Zieler, but he allowed the chance to go begging.

Fraizer Campbell then passed up a similarly gilt-edged chance, but he atoned just before the half-hour mark by laying on the opening goal for Tom Cleverley.

Less than a week after scoring on his non-competitive senior debut in South Africa, Cleverley continued his hot streak by slotting home a close-range finish after Campbell had worked space down the right wing.

United weren't able to savour the advantage for long, however, as Liverpool striker Nathan Eccleston smashed a scorching 25 yard effort into Zieler's top corner.

A breathless first half ended with the scores level, but only six minutes of the second period were required before United moved ahead again. Once again Campbell was involved, crossing for David Gray to tap in and restore the Reds' lead.

The game could have been dead and buried 20 minutes from time, but Campbell smashed his close-range effort against the bar with the goal gaping, and he would rue that miss moments later as Jordi Brouwer headed Gary Ablett's side level.

Just as the match seemed set for a dramatic penalty shoot-out, Cleverley burst down the left wing and picked out substitute Drinkwater, who calmly guided a finish home to swing a see-saw encounter in United's favour and take the trophy.

United: Zieler; Eckersley, Cathcart, Chester, Simpson; Gray, Possebon (Drinkwater 46), Gibson, Cleverley, Hewson (C Evans 88); Campbell.
Subs not used: Derbyshire, Amos, Eikrem.
Rene: Ole's razor sharp

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has the tactical nous to be a successful manager, according to friend and mentor Rene Meulensteen.

The two coaches regularly watches United's senior side in action together, and Meulensteen has been impressed by the Norwegian's astute insight into matches.

"As a player, Ole was so productive off the bench, he had a great ability to read games and opponents, and that will help him also as a coach and a manager," Rene told ManUtd.com.

"He’s got a good eye for tactical ideas about the game. I sit a lot with him upstairs during matches and he has a good sharp view for what’s happening in a game and what he would do to change it and why things are happening. It certainly bodes well."

Solskjaer brings down the curtain on his playing career with this weekend's testimonial against Espanyol, and Reds coach Meulensteen expects the Norwegian's career move into management to mirror his success as a United player.

"The things that made Ole succeed as a player will make him succeed in management," said Rene. "He’s got great determination and focus, as well as a great ability to learn, and these qualities are the same as those you need to be a successful manager."
Iaquinta ready to face United

Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta believes the bianconeri will pose a stern challenge to European champions United when they visit Old Trafford next Wednesday.

Claudio Ranieri's side visit Old Trafford on Wednesday to take part in the Reds' final pre-season friendly before the defence of United's Premier League and Champions League crowns begin. Before then, of course, the Reds face Espanyol for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial and Peterborough United.

Juve have high ambitions of their own this season. After finishing third in their first season back in Serie A, Ranieri's side have their sights set on a swift return to Champions League action, too, and they can achieve it with victory in the third qualifying round which begins on 12 August.

After scoring once against Brondby, twice against Borussia Dortmund and grabbing another against Internazionale, the 28-year-old no.9 hopes to score the goals that will meet Juve's expectations this season.

"I feel very good, fortunately my injuries are in the past now and I hope I can get to the qualifying round 100% fit.

"We're all doing very well up front, we're still in the preparation phase, but all four of us will be on good form when it counts. Tonight we had more confirmation that we can challenge any team."

United v Juventus, 6 August, 20:00 BST
Tickets are on open sale, starting at £10 for adults, £5 for seniors. All junior seats are £5. Buy online or by calling 0161 868 8000.
Edwin up for the fight

Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak may have shared United's goalkeeping duties during the pre-season trip to Africa, but Edwin van der Sar is ready and waiting to reclaim his No.1 spot.

Fresh from his extended summer break following his exertions at Euro 2008, the Dutchman has returned to Carrington to begin his preparations for the new campaign.

While he is well aware of the qualities of his fellow stoppers, he is determined to keep a firm grip on his first team place.

"I don't really care who is behind me, I just want to keep the jersey," he insisted in an interview with Sky Sports News.

"Ben Foster is a good goalkeeper, there is no question about that, but the same can be said of myself and Tomasz Kuszczak.

"We are all working hard to reach the highest level we can, but people tend to be focused on Ben because they relate it to the England situation.

"I must perform and make sure I'm fit and playing at the level everyone wants me to be at."

Van der Sar could be handed his first taste of pre-season action in Saturday's Ole Gunnar Solskjaer testimonial against Espanyol.

He may also feature against former side Juventus in next Wednesday's Old Trafford friendly, before which the players will parade the Premier League and Champions League trophies around the pitch.

Tickets are still available and can be bought online or by calling 0161 868 8000.
Youngsters reach Milk Cup final

United's goal-laden march to the Milk Cup final continued on Thursday evening, as Paul McGuinness' young side hit another four goals to win a semi-final clash with Watford.

The Hornets were beaten 4-2 at Ballymena's Showgrounds, taking United's goal haul to a staggering 17 in just four games in the competition.

McGuinness' young charges now meet South Coast Bayern in Friday night's final (KO 20:15 BST), after the Americans overcame Hearts in a penalty shootout in Thursday's other semi-final.

United's 16-year-old Norwegian forward Joshua King scored twice in the last four tie, while Federico Macheda and Evandro Brandao grabbed the other goals to set up a place in the final of the prestigious youth tournament - now in its 25th year.

The Reds will be keen to avenge last year's final defeat to Brazilian side Fluminese, but United face tough opponents in South Coast Bayern, who knocked out the holders at the quarter final stages.
返回列表