返回列表 回復 發帖
Steele named new keeper coach

Eric Steele has been appointed as United's new goalkeeping coach.

The former Aston Villa, Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers coach becomes the permanent replacement for Tony Coton, who retired earlier this year through injury.

Sir Alex Ferguson revealed last week that he and his fellow coaches had identified a suitable successor, after a thorough search for the right replacement.

Academy goalkeeping coach Richard Hartis had temporarily taken Coton's place, but now Steele takes on the role permanently in time for the start of the 2008/09 season.
Sir Alex: Rafael was a sensation

Sir Alex Ferguson could barely contain his excitement on Monday night after witnessing a debut to remember by Brazilian defender Rafael Da Silva.

The young right-back played the full 90 minutes of United's friendly win at Peterborough and did enough to suggest a competitive debut may not be too far away. His brother Fabio also impressed, at left-back, after coming on for Patrice Evra at half-time.

Sir Alex told MUTV's Stewart Gardner, "The young players were fantastic and young Rafael the right-back was a sensation for me.

"I thought it was a real eye opener for us. He hadn't played for a year but he's played a full 90 minutes today. His brother Fabio has played 45 minutes and he's also done well so we're really pleased by their contribution."

When asked if the Da Silva twins' integration will be gradual, Sir Alex responded intriguingly:
"You know what football's like. Sometimes it turns up some star, some little nugget maybe. On the evidence of tonight I think we have got a good player here."

The Da Silvas look set for an Old Trafford debut as early as this Wednesday, when Juventus provide the opposition for United's final pre season friendly.

"The squad we've got here tonight (at Peterborough) will play on Wednesday," confirmed Sir Alex, while "Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville will also be involved."

With midfielders Anderson, Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves plus striker Wayne Rooney still unavailable, Wednesday could see Darron Gibson make yet another pre season appearance following his wonder strike against Peterborough.

"We've been saying to him all summer, with the power he's got, he should be striking more," said Sir Alex. "The evidence is there for you now. He has fantastic feet."

As for whether Gibson will stay at United this season, or go out on loan again as he did to Wolves last term, the Reds manager commented:

"At the moment we need all our players because we have some issues with Rooney and Carrick having this virus, Hargreaves is not back yet, Anderson's at the Olympics, so we're just a little bit tight in terms of availability. So they will all stay at the moment."

Tickets for United v Juventus are on general sale, priced from just £15 for non-members. For more details, call 0161 868 8000 or read our Ticket News story.
Report: Peterboro 0 United 2

Sir Alex Ferguson's men go into Wednesday's friendly against Juventus still unbeaten in pre-season, despite a decent test against a Peterborough side managed by his son Darren.

Darron Gibson's glorious second-half strike, added to a first-half owngoal by Peterborough right-back Russell Martin, saw United win their first away match on English soil since that momentous May day in Wigan.

Irish midfielder Gibson had been on the field for less than a minute as United's eighth and final substitute when he brought down Lee Martin's flicked pass with his right foot and crashed home an unstoppable half-volley with his left boot from 30 yards out.

That wonderful moment in the 68th minute brought a big grin to the face of Sir Alex but there was plenty for the Reds boss to smile about throughout the evening, not least the first appearances of his new full-backs, Brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio Da Silva.

Rafael played the full 90 minutes at right-back and was joined in the team for the second half by brother Fabio at left-back. United finished the match with three Brazilians on the London Road pitch, following Rodrigo Possebon's entrance just before the hour.

The Reds made numerous changes at half-time, having taken the lead a few minutes earlier when Russell Martin, otherwise impressive on his home debut for Peterborough, chested David Gray's right-wing cross past his own keeper Joe Lewis. Nani and the lively Carlos Tevez were both involved in the build-up with the latter eventually feeding Gray.

With Gray backed up and sometimes overlapped by Rafael Da Silva, Peterborough had to deal with a number of raids down their left side. Not that it was much quieter for Posh on the other flank with Nani and Reds left-back Patrice Evra stretching their legs on a number of occasions, although both will be seeking greater accuracy with their shots against Juventus before the serious action starts.

United's first-half line-up was completed by Tomasz Kuszczak in goal, Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand in the heart of defence, Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea in central midfield and Frazier Campbell, Saturday's scorer against Espanyol, up front alongside Tevez.  

After almost the entire side was changed by Sir Alex, you might have expected a less cohesive performance from United in the second half. But one of the highlights of the latter stages confounded that - a move of multiple passes ending with Tom Cleverley's shot being saved by Peterborough's substitute goalkeeper Mark Tyler.

As for United's keepers, Kuszczak had to work reasonably hard to keep his latest clean sheet before he was replaced for the last 23 minutes by Ron Robert Zieler. The Pole in goal made a couple of fine saves, including one to deny a point blank header from one of Peterborough's numerous second-half subs, Craig Mackail-Smith.

United: Kuszczak; R Da Silva, Brown, Ferdinand, Evra; Gray, Fletcher, O'Shea, Nani; Tevez, Campbell. Subs (all were used): Zieler, J Evans, Cleverley, F Da Silva, Cathcart, Martin, Rodrigo, Gibson.
Rooney to miss season's start

Wayne Rooney is likely to miss the start of the 2008/09 season after picking up a virus on United's recent trip to Nigeria.

The 22-year-old didn't play in the friendly with Portsmouth in Abuja, and has subsequently missed matches against Espanyol and Peterborough.

Sir Alex hoped Rooney would make rapid progress in the last few days, but it now appears unlikely that he will make 2008/09's curtain raiser against Newcastle on Sunday 17 August.

"You worry about having a team for the start of the season," Sir Alex said at a press conference to mark the U15 Manchester United Premier Cup tournament at Carrington. "Nani is suspended, Anderson's at the Olympics and I doubt if we'll get Wayne fit for the start of the season."

It's deeply frustrating for Rooney, whose start to the 2007/08 campaign was disrupted when he suffered a broken metatarsal on the opening day against Reading.

"It's a virus that we believe he picked up in Nigeria. It's not a nice one," added Sir Alex. "Carrick also had it, but he came in today (Tuesday) and hopefully he'll play some part against Portsmouth on Sunday."

However, Rooney's chances of being available to kick-off United's Double defence are not so promising. "The season starts in 12 days, but it's such a bad virus that he's not trained since we got back from Africa on 28 July. It's a long time."

United's doctors are currently treating the virus at the club's training ground. "We have a laboratory here so we have all the facilities to do these things now," added the boss, before adding: "The players all had malaria tablets before they went to Africa so it's nothing to do with that."
Papers: So long Saha?

Keano's £8.5m Saha swoop
Roy Keane is on the brink of completing an £8.5million swoop for Manchester United striker Louis Saha. Sunderland boss Keano will make the out-of-favour Old Trafford star the biggest earner in the club’s history on £50,000 a week. Saha, 30, was at the Stadium of Light to see the Black Cats’ 1-0 pre-season defeat by Ajax. Keane is desperate to add firepower to his squad after last season’s brush with relegation. He has splashed £20m on six summer signings already but admitted: “Hopefully there will be two or three players coming on board before the transfer window closes. At the end of last season I thought we needed another top striker at the club and I’ve not changed that view because you’ve got to put the ball in the back of the net.”
Vic Holly, The Sun

Rumours over Cristiano Ronaldo's future continue, with The Mirror claiming that the Portuguese winger will not report to Carrington this week in order to push through a move to Real Madrid. The Sun insist he will, but will then move to la Liga in a year's time.
Papers: Injuries rock Reds

Ripped to SH-REDS
Manchester United were plunged into crisis last night with NINE stars set to miss the big kick-off. Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick are doubts with a virus. Owen Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson, Cristiano Ronaldo and Park Ji Sung are crocked, while Louis Saha has been out since March and Gary Neville has calf problems. Boss Alex Ferguson said: “You worry about having a team ready for the start of the season."
Neil Custis, The Sun

The Sun also reports Sir Alex Ferguson's comments that Cristiano Ronaldo is "staying with us". Sir Alex added: "He is a Manchester United player. He is going to be playing here next season. Believe me, it's all over."

Carlos Tevez has been discussing his all-action approach to playing football. “I don’t have the same marketable image as a Ronaldo or a Lionel Messi," he is quoted as saying in The Sun. "If I tried to work on my image, it would change a lot of things. But I’m not like that. I pack all my effort in on the pitch, throwing myself on the floor for each ball, putting my life into each game."

The Daily Mail claims that a fresh knee injury setback has scuppered West Ham's bid to sign Louis Saha.

The paper also claims that FA chairman Lord Triesman has warned Sir Alex that post-match rants at referees will no longer be tolerated.

And finally... are City up for sale? The Daily Mail thinks so, claiming that Blues owner and former Thai Primi Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has "explored the possibility of selling the club".
Meet the da Silva twins

The surprise first appearances of Fabio da Silva and Rafael da Silva in United's pre season friendly at Peterborough on Monday 4 August has left fans wanting to know more about the boys from Brazil.

How old are they?

The twin brothers turned 18 last month, a milestone which enabled the club to gain clearance for the pair to play. For the record, they were born on 9 July 1990 in Petropolis, Rio de Janeiro - the spiritual home of Brazilian football.

What positions do they play in?
They are primarily full-backs - Rafael on the right, Fabio on the left. But the attacking ability and desire they demonstrated against Peterborough suggests that, like Patrice Evra, they would be equally adept at wide midfield.

Who did they play for previously?
The da Silva twins joined United from Fluminense, one of the four main football clubs in Rio (the others being Botafogo, Flamengo and Vasco da Gama). Legendary Fluminense players include the late Tele Santana, who went on to manage Brazil's World Cup squads of 1982 and 1986.

How did United find them?
The brothers were spotted by Les Kershaw, then Academy Manager, in the summer of 2005 while playing for Fluminense in a Hong Kong youth tournament.

Have they played for Brazil?
Fabio captained and top-scored in the Under-17 World Cup finals in Korea. Rafael also impressed during the same competition in which Brazil were unfortunate to bow out at the last 16 stage. FIFA.com's report on their final game against Ghana says "Brazil's calm and intricate build-up play was impressive to behold as the imperious Fabio pulled the strings."

How does Sir Alex rate them?
"I think they're both excellent footballers, I really do. They've got great enthusiasm and desire to play the game. It's a typical Brazilian situation, they just love playing. They're quick and they're determined.

"What we don't know is their game appreciation because they haven't played for a year. Their old club Fluminense didn't play them because they were joining us. Then they joined us in January (2008) but it was too late for the work permit application.

"Their 18th birthday meant we could apply through international clearance which we got only a couple of days ago. We're all delighted for the kids because they've worked so hard in training, they never miss a session and I'm really hopeful they'll do well."

The new boys from Brazil

Fabio da Silva (above left)
Born: 9 July 1990, Rio de Janeiro
Former club: Fluminense
Position: Left back / left midfield

Rafael da Silva (above right)
Born: 9 July 1990, Rio de Janeiro
Former club: Fluminense
Position: Right back / right midfield

Video: Rafael's friendly debut
Rio can't wait to get going

Whether he dons the armband or not, Rio Ferdinand can't wait to get the new season underway.

The 29-year-old defender has captained United in the absence of Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs, but he's hoping to see the regular Reds skipper back in action this season.

"Gary is the United captain, and the sooner he gets fit and starts playing regularly, the better it will be for us because he's a fantastic footballer," says Rio.

"I'm hoping Gary will be fit for the start of the season, he had a lot of bad luck last year with injuries. We'd like to see him fit and raring to go because he's a top player."

Rio's sights are firmly set on being ready for the Reds' defence of the double, with two matches to go before the opening league clash with Newcastle on 17 August. United play Juventus at Old Trafford on Wednesday and Portsmouth at Wembley on Sunday.

"We had three or four weeks off over the summer, but I think most of the lads were champing at the bit to get back and play," said Ferdinand.

"We've had a few games in pre-season but it's starting to get to the nitty-gritty now. We've got a good game against Juventus on Wednesday and then the Community Shield against Portsmouth on Sunday, which should be a good opener. We're all looking forward to it."

Tickets for tonight's game against Juventus at Old Trafford are still available - for more details call 0161 868 8000 or read our Ticket News story.
Report: Utd 0 Juventus 0

Rafael da Silva played 45 minutes at Old Trafford, but neither United nor Juventus could find the net in the Reds’ final pre-season friendly.

After a storming performance against Peterborough on Monday night, the Brazilian teenager impressed again at right back… and this time against world-class opposition.

Countryman Rodrigo Possebon also got 21 minutes under his belt and did enough to suggest he can play a part in United’s Double defence this season.

In the Reds’ final run-out before Sunday’s trip to Wembley for the Community Shield, Sir Alex fielded a strong side. In fact, of the starting XI, only Lee Martin played less than 24 times last term.

It was an indication of the seriousness with which the United boss approached the fixture, and the Reds certainly began brightly.

Martin had a claim for a penalty turned down by referee Mark Halsey in the third minute before John O’Shea’s goalbound effort was blocked two minutes later. Darren Fletcher blazed over shortly afterwards under pressure from Juventus shot-stopper Gianluigi Buffon, while Carlos Tevez also had an early shot blocked.

On a zippy pitch, the Reds were moving the ball around effortlessly. And yet United almost fell behind on 20 minutes when Mauro Camaronesi played in Alessandro Del Piero at the far post. The Juventus captain cut inside onto his left foot and his shot looked destined to find its mark until O’Shea intervened with a desperate, sliding lunge.

After such a lively beginning, the match was never likely to continue at breakneck pace. Sure enough, the tempo slowed considerably during the middle third of the first half as both sides looked to consolidate possession.

Fletcher had a header on target just before the interval, but United had to settle for 0-0 at half-time, despite dominating proceedings early on.

Rafael Da Silva came on at the start of the second half and made an immediate impression, crossing for Paul Scholes, who headed into the ground and over the bar from close range. It turned out to be the best chance of the match.

Just as Rafael did against Darren Ferguson’s side at London Road, he showed composure on the ball and a strong desire to get forward down the right flank. In fact, he had a hand in many of United's most threatening moves of the second period.

Edwin van der Sar was a spectator for most of the night, although was called on to save from former Liverpool midfielder Mohamed Sissoko on 66 minutes.

That was shortly after Mikael Silvestre had entered the fray and given license to Patrice Evra to push further forward. However, not even Evra could engineer the necessary magic to break down a stubborn Juventus defence and earn the Reds a win.

Attendance: 69,872

United: Van der Sar; Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic (Evans 78), Brown (R da Silva 46); Darren Fletcher (Gibson 46), Paul Scholes, John O’Shea (Possebon 69), Lee Martin (Silvestre 65); Ryan Giggs, Carlos Tevez (Campbell 69)

Subs not used: Kuszczak, F da Silva

Juventus: Buffon; Grygera, Mellberg, Legrottaglie, Cheillini; Camoranesi (Marchionni 61), Poulsen (Tiago 89), Sissoko (Ekdal 82), Salihamidzic (Rossi 74); Iaquinta (De Oliveira 46), Del Piero (Trezeguet 71)

Subs not used: Nocchi, Chimenti, Ariaudo, Pasquato, Esposito

Reds show off silverware

Fans cheered when those final dramatic moments from Moscow were replayed on Old Trafford’s temporary big screens before the Reds’ friendly against Juventus.

But it was nothing compared to the reaction Sir Alex’s men received when they paraded the Barclays Premier League and UEFA Champions League trophies around the ground at 19:00 BST.

Watch video of the celebrations on MUTV Online

It's what the United faithful had been waiting for ever since that magical night in May when Edwin van der Sar saved Nicolas Anelka’s penalty to clinch a fantastic domestic and European double. A number of factors meant an open-top bus parade was impossible in the days after the Champions League victory.

But at Old Trafford on Wednesday night, the first-team squad emerged from the players' tunnel to rapturous applause, before posing in front of each stand with the shiny silverware.

“I think everyone – the supporters and the players – was disappointed that we weren’t able to have a parade on an open-top bus through the streets of Manchester,” Nemanja Vidic admitted in the match programme, United Review.

“So it’s important we can share this moment with the fans… the occasion reminds everyone of what we achieved and it’s an opportunity to celebrate together.”
Ronaldo remains a Red

Cristiano Ronaldo is going nowhere.

After a summer rife with rumours of an Old Trafford exit, the Reds’ no.7 revealed on Wednesday night that he will be a Manchester United player in 2008/09.

“I can confirm that next season I will play for Manchester United,” Ronaldo told Portugal newspaper Publico.

“I will play for United with all my heart and soul, I will fight and honour that shirt with the same commitment and dedication as [I’ve] always [shown].”

His comments were welcomed by Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who was relieved the matter can finally be “put to bed”.

“We always knew this was the case,” Sir Alex told MUTV. “He’s very happy here – he’s always been happy here.

“He’s never had a complaint about Manchester United. He’s always been treated properly and I have a great relationship with the boy, as do all the players.

“I think we can put this to bed now. It’s finished. The boy’s a United player and that’s what’s important.”

Ronaldo’s refusal to commit himself to United earlier in the summer disappointed some Reds fans, but Ferguson insists supporters shouldn’t be too hard on the 23-year-old.

“The fans have got to understand it’s very hard when a young boy’s tempted by all this money,” he said.

“He’s a young lad from Madeira and his father died a young man. Cristiano now looks after his mother, sister and his brother, so I can understand that [money may have been tempting].”

In a sign of real maturity, Ronaldo accepted blame for his part in world football’s biggest transfer saga of the summer.

“I was responsible for all this controversy,” he said. “I was the one who publicly expressed my desire to go to Madrid and I ended up even being involuntary responsible for the poor relationship between the two clubs.”
Boss: Rafael has a great chance

Sir Alex described Rafael da Silva’s Old Trafford debut as “very promising” after the Brazilian teenager played 45 minutes in the Reds’ 0-0 draw against Juventus on Wednesday night.

The right back made his first Reds appearance on Monday night in the friendly against Peterborough, where he dazzled onlookers with his pace down the flank.

On Wednesday, he entered the game at half-time to loud cheers from the Old Trafford crowd and went on to catch the manager’s eye once again.

“Rafael started quietly but then he exploded into the game,” Sir Alex told MUTV.

“We’re very pleased with his progress and the boy has a great chance. When you bear in mind the fact that he’s not played for a year, it was a very promising debut at Old Trafford.”

The Reds boss was also delighted with the crowd, who remained vocal despite the game’s lack of goals.

“It’s great when we have all these kids inside Old Trafford to watch us,” he said. “We offer cheaper tickets for children on nights like this and they were fantastic. I think they will have enjoyed the match.

“We saw two good teams and a lot of good football from both sides. It was an open game and there were some good openings.

“There were maybe 40,000 kids here tonight and they don’t all get many opportunities to see United. That pleases me more than anything.”
Wes: Plenty of positives

United and Juventus played out a 0-0 draw on Wednesday night, but Wes Brown says the Reds were pleased with the performance.

“It was a good run-out,” Brown told MUTV. “Juventus are a good team and we knew it would be a tough game.

“We managed to get a few of the young lads on and it was good experience for them.

“At this stage of the season it’s all about fitness and getting sharp, and we’ve got another game on Sunday as well. Hopefully everyone will be ready for Newcastle on the opening day of the season.”

One player not expected to make the Newcastle clash is Wayne Rooney. The striker has been struggling with a virus since returning from Africa and Sir Alex said earlier this week he doubted the England international would recover in time.

But Wes is hopeful Wayne can still play a part when United kick off their defence of the Barclays Premier League on 17 August.

“It’s just a little bug going around at the moment,” he said. “I think the guys [Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick] will be back at Carrington on Thursday and they’ll be flying by next week.

“I’m sure they’ll be ready for Newcastle.”
Sixth place for U15s

The Reds’ Under-15s finished sixth in the 2008 Manchester United Premier Cup, which took place in Manchester this year.

United, who put in some fine performances throughout the competition which took place between 3-6 August, were knocked out by eventual winners Fluminense.

The Brazilian side became World Champions in the prestigious U15 tournament by defeating Mexican club FC Atlas in the final on the Old Trafford pitch before United’s pre-season friendly against Juventus.

To give an idea of just how wide-reaching and hotly-contested this tournament is, 9,400 teams from forty-two countries participated in local, national and regional tournaments to earn a place in this week’s World Finals.

In the past the Nike-sponsored MUPC tournament, with matches played 20-minute each way, has proven to be a platform for now world-renowned names such as Cesc Fabregas, Robinho, Fernando Torres and United's very own Carlos Tevez.

It is a tournament to be taken seriously by clubs, coaches and players alike. United’s youngsters did exactly that, and made it through as runners-up in Group A with wins over Indonesian side Villa 2000 and Chile’s Audax Italiano, and draws against Paris Saint German and Real Madrid.

But despite that early promise, the Reds met tournament favourites Fluminense in the quarter-final stage, and the Samba starlets were too good on the day. The defeat sent United into a play-off knockout to determine their overall position.

An excellent 4-1 win over Juventus followed, but Ghanaian side Right To Dream proved physically too strong in the 5/6 place play-off clash, beating the Reds 2-0.

Fluminense continued their path to the final and went on to beat Atlas 2-0, collecting their medals from Reds legend Bryan Robson and current first-team captain Gary Neville in front of almost 70,000 fans at Old Trafford before the United-Juve match.

All teams were awarded medals at the closing ceremony at Manchester University's Armitage Centre, with Willem II taking the fair play award and Fluminense's De Silva picking up the Most Valuable Player and Top Goalscorer accolades.

To find out more about the tournament, including scores, news updates, pictures and features, visit the official MUPC website: www.manchesterunitedpremiercup.com.

Teenage kicksThe Fluminense players celebrate their MUPC success

Reds Results

Group A

United 3-0 Villa 2000
PSG 1-1 United
United 2-1 Audax Italiano
Real Madrid 0-0 United

Quarter-final
Fluminense 2-0 United

Play-off Round 2
United 4-1 Juventus

5/6 Play-off
Right to dream 2-0 United
Papers: Rooney in training?

Rooney to make surprise return
Wayne Rooney will give Manchester United a second major boost by returning to training this morning. The England striker has been laid low - and lost half-a-stone with a bug after the club's trip to Africa - but the United doctors have given him the go-ahead to get back to work at Carrington. Rooney may now even be able to make United's Premier League opener against Newcastle on August 17 if he can catch up with the pace.
Alan Nixon, The Mirror

All of today's newspapers pick up on the open and very honest interview Cristiano Ronaldo did with Portuguese newspaper Publico.

In the Daily Mail, Sir Alex is waxing lyrical about United's Samba twins, Rafael and Fabio da Silva. ManUtd.com's Adam Bostock provides more background here.

The same paper says United will not recall Anderson from Olympic Games duty with Brazil. Barcelona protested at having to release Lionel Messi for the competition, and the Court of Arbitration for Sport subsequently ruled that FIFA could not demand players to appear in Beijing.
返回列表