返回列表 回復 發帖

[旅遊心得] Learning Chinese = Understanding China?

Last night, I attended a fascinating lecture titled "Chine au XXIème siècle", by Mr. Jean Agnès, ex-president of the Lyon Chamber of Commerce and Industry. In his talk, he stated that it would be impossible to understand China without learning the Chinese language. I agree with his point, and have found that learning the language has been key to life in all the countries I have lived in (my French is progressing slowly). But I also know that learning Mandarin is extremely difficult for many people, so I wonder to what extent you all agree with Mr. Agnès' view? Is it essential for people who work with Chinese people and organisations to learn Chinese? What language level  is needed in order to achieve one's goals? Finally, is simply learning the language enough to really "understand China"?
本帖最後由 mrfusion 於 2013-10-8 08:48 AM 編輯

to understand China, you really do need to learn Chinese, but knowing Chinese doesn't necessary mean you will understand China.

It is not essential to know Chinese to work with Chinese organisation, as those organisation is likely to have English speaking people. Like old saying, there are more English speaking Chinese then there are Engish speaking British.

Why do you want to understand China?
because China is the future
Learning the language will help learning the culture easier.
4# Pedestrian_A thanks, that is what i am going to do
本帖最後由 huit 於 2013-10-13 03:14 PM 編輯

Having met a number of gwai-lo's who have lived in China for many years, some over 10 years in my line of work (I travel to China from Australia 2-3 times a year), I would say that you definitely do not need to learn the language to understand the culture. Most of them don't speak Chinese beyond ordering food or a "PI JIU!!!", but all of them are very good at pretending to be the "dumb Westerner" and have a very good idea of how the Chinese operate - you have to to survive in China.

So yes, just like anything else, having textbook knowledge, in this case, knowing the language, while it puts you in good stead, you'd still have to immerse yourself in it to be able to claim you know the culture, because it's continually evolving.
language is not the culture, but learning culture can't miss out the language. Many people still can't understand the Chinese even speak CHinese. 1# skyalan
返回列表